Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-26-2004, 02:56 AM   #1
jobs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18664
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2010 Outback SWPearl
,99 Black Outback sport

Default Brake light problem......help!

Tonight i had time to replace my right brake lights and went to the nearest auto parts store to get a pair of 1156 bulb. I thought all the while it was the bulb, tried putting a new one i didnt work, tried the other bulb still didnt work. So i tried the old bulb and installed it to left brake light and it works. That means that something shorted or something. This really sucks, how can i fix this problem? Do i need a multi meter to check if there's a short on the neg & pos wire that runs on the right brake light? It can't be the fuse coz all the rear lights are working except that right one. Anyone had this problem? I need some advice guys thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Well - you could start by just looking socket to see if it has crud in it (if it does, clean it out) then at the wires you can see/get to for anything which is pinched off, etc. - also, check any connectors (demate them, look to see if any of the pins are badly oxidized, etc. - often, demating and mating them a couple of times will clean the contacts enough for them to work again if that's the problem) also, wiggle the wires which go to the connectors (back and forth, push towards the connector, etc.) and see if you can find a loose wire (have the brake light on when you are doing this - so that you can see if you can get it to light up by messing around with stuff)

A multimeter is helpful in letting you know which circuit is messed up, but you still have to find where it's messed up...

the light circuit is two leads (power and ground) which split off to the three brake lights - so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote