Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42249
Default Transmission Filter

Haven't seen this posted here yet. Is the transmission filter the same size as the oil filter?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ForesterXT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Yes,

And don't touch it.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Thanks.

And why?
Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
Originally posted by ForesterXT04
Thanks.

And why?
Because it's a lifetime filter (I think).

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #5
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by bluesubie
Because it's a lifetime filter (I think).

-Dennis
Like the fuel filter or the 100,000 mile sparkplugs. I highly doubt it.

Peaty, you around? Can you answer this perplexing question?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
I highly doubt it.
How much are you willing to wager?

-Dennis
Old 07-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
How much are you willing to wager?

-Dennis
Depends on who we are willing to beleive.

Most auto manufacturers say that the transmission needs no maintenance (Ford/Chevy are coming out with completely sealed cases). I don't buy that. Maybe I'm just too anal about the fluids and filters in my car, but I tend to change out the tranny fluid every 20k (drain/refill not full flush).
Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

The filter is a lifetime filter, but the fluid is not.

-Dennis
Old 07-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

How so? If it has a bypass, once it is full the tranny fluid just moves past the filter media into the bypass tube...making it useless.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

The Filter is lifetime, Fluid tends to last 45-60k.

Ben,

Hodges Subaru
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #11
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaslayer
The Filter is lifetime, Fluid tends to last 45-60k.

Ben,

Hodges Subaru
Not ATF fluid. I've had UOAs done on regular ATF after 15k to 25k that show it does not last 60k.

Another question. Why would a car company put a removable oil filter on a transmission if they didn't want it replaced?

Kinda odd that the same car company would have directions for disposal of the filter on the "non-changeable" filter.

Last edited by ForesterXT04; 07-06-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #12
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

Lightbulb

RTFM

-Dennis
Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #13
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Manual also says to use 4.2qts of oil in the 2.5L XT.

I'm not sure what the manual has to do with anything in this thread. I asked about the size of the filter and seem to have found a small following that think the filter is lifetime.

Common sense is your friend.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

My wife has owned an automatic Subaru since 1998. Ben has been a Subaru tech since whenever. This "small following" might know a thing or two.

The filter is "lifetime" according to SoA. Whether or not you agree with that is a different story. Why do you think you have not seen anything posted yet? Check Peaty's site for a pic from an H6 OB.

-Dennis
Old 07-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #15
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

And my wife has been driving a Subaru sense your grandfather was in diapers. (to paraphrase a favorite movie quote) What difference does that make? You guys like to post "don't change it" or "RTFM" but you avoid the questions...very odd.

1)Why does the filter have disposal directions on it if it never gets removed?
2)Why did SOA put a removable filter on the transmission if it is not to be changed?
3)Why do 99.9% of transmission shops replace the filter/screen on a fluid change (not flush) and pan clean?

There is a reason why this filter has a part-number at Subaru whether you want to believe that or not. I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude. As I said, it's who you beleive. Many car companies claim sparkplugs are 100k mile item, that doesn't make it true. I change fluid filters where available (oil, tranny, etc) at the time of a fluid change. Makes sense to me.

As I said before, I wasn't looking for a discussion just whether or not the filters were the same size. I plan to change it reguardless.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

Contact Subaru and see what they say. I think you're being argumentative with yourself.

Hey check this out.
"1999 model year and up automatic transmission vehicles have a screw-on filter located on the driver's side of the transmission. Do not confuse this for the engine oil filter. There is no need to service this filter under normal conditions."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...81/ai_82551541
Another part of the "small following" I suppose.

-Dennis
Old 07-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #17
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Contact Subaru and see what they say. I think you're being argumentative with yourself.

Hey check this out.
"1999 model year and up automatic transmission vehicles have a screw-on filter located on the driver's side of the transmission. Do not confuse this for the engine oil filter. There is no need to service this filter under normal conditions."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...81/ai_82551541
Another part of the "small following" I suppose.

-Dennis
Then why do you keep responding. No answer to the questions yet...very odd. I gave several reasons for my changing it, you just rudely told me not too. Read my first post, just needed to know the size.

I'll be replacing it reguardless.

Quote:
COPYRIGHT 2002 Adams Business Media
COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group
I didn't realize these two publishing groups set the standard for engine maintenance. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Mods: Please close this thread. My question was already answered. (in more ways than one)
Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

OMGHi2U

Quote:
I gave several reasons for my changing it, you just rudely told me not too. Read my first post, just needed to know the size.
Rude? Now you're just making stuff up.

"Because it's a lifetime filter (I think)" is hardly rude.

-Dennis
Old 07-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #19
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Rude? Now you're just making stuff up.

"Because it's a lifetime filter (I think)" is hardly rude.

-Dennis
Quote:
RTFM
Whatever makes you feel better.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #20
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

You missed this part.
Quote:
Ok, that's enough.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM   #21
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
You missed this part.

Ok, that's enough.
That's ok. You avoided the questions completely. At least you're consistent.

Unless you have some more in depth article (other than "my wife drives this" or "subaru says so"). Facts win an argument, and so far there is more evidence against than for keeping this filter on for life.

Last edited by ForesterXT04; 07-08-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #22
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Quote:
Like the fuel filter or the 100,000 mile sparkplugs. I highly doubt it.

Peaty, you around? Can you answer this perplexing question?
I'm on vacation this week but found out I have wireless here

HondaSlayer knows better than anyone this filter is not to be changed under normal conditions. Yes it looks exactly the same as an oil filter but it is not interchangeable. I've read of places like Jiffey Lube taking it off and putting on an oil filter with very bad results Best to not touch it, it's a lot more expensive too.

Don't trust us have a look here:

http://endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/...ATDiagServ.pdf

Under normal conditions what would you expect to get trapped in the filter? Not a lot, it's not like you will have blow by and or other things getting in there. It is for the most part a closed system. I'm sure there will be some stuff but nothing like a motor oil filter. It's there I'm guessing to catch stuff if the tranny grenades it self for some reason. I don't see a reason to mess with the filter but hey if it makes you feel better what the heck. They do cost around 40 or 50 bucks I think (not sure but it's not like an oil fliter) It's not like it will be bad if you do, I just don't think it will do a lot of good is all.

Peaty

Last edited by Peaty; 07-09-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #23
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the links Peaty.

I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is between the two. Upon inspection, the tranny filter has a metal post in the middle of the filter and less holes around the ring than a normal oil filter.

Has anyone taken one apart? I can understand Subaru not wanting to change it because it is a closed system and the filter is expensive. But, if it were the same as an oil filter it would be cheap maintenance.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:58 AM   #24
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Well oil filters house the valve that regulates the oil pressure and have a bypass that will open when the filter gets clogged and the flow is reduced increasing the pressure. My guess is either the tranny filter does not need to be pressurized like the oil (not pumping it up as far) or if it does the pressure is not the same making for a different spring tension. The media may be different too along with the flow through charactistics. Filter size and capacity are not always related.; In fact the smaller turbo filter has more surface area than the larger NA filters. I had a conversation with a WIX filter tec about this. It's all in the filter media from what he was telling me. I really don't think Subaru would just change the PN and have the same filter either. They don't even suggest changing it a lot so I don't see an advantage to doing that anyway. It sure would be an expensive experiment though if you are wrong. Even if you took the filters apart I don't know if you could determine the running / bypass pressure by just looking at the spring.

Peaty
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #25
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaty
Well oil filters house the valve that regulates the oil pressure and have a bypass that will open when the filter gets clogged and the flow is reduced increasing the pressure. My guess is either the tranny filter does not need to be pressurized like the oil (not pumping it up as far) or if it does the pressure is not the same making for a different spring tension. The media may be different too along with the flow through charactistics. Filter size and capacity are not always related.; In fact the smaller turbo filter has more surface area than the larger NA filters. I had a conversation with a WIX filter tec about this. It's all in the filter media from what he was telling me. I really don't think Subaru would just change the PN and have the same filter either. They don't even suggest changing it a lot so I don't see an advantage to doing that anyway. It sure would be an expensive experiment though if you are wrong. Even if you took the filters apart I don't know if you could determine the running / bypass pressure by just looking at the spring.

Peaty
Good point on the bypass pressure. Trannies tend to run at a much lower pressure than an engine (correct me if I am wrong).

I wish there were a way to test this without putting a tranny in harms way.