Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-10-2001, 02:25 PM   #1
Eric Gagnon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 46
Vehicle:
2001 Jetta 1.8T
White

Question Weird Steering Problem

Hereís the weird steering problem:

Take a right turn, the wheel and car continues to drive right, take a left turn the car and wheel continues to drive right. It NEVER self centers. I just replaced the suspension and had the car re-aligned and the problem is still there. What is causing it and what is the cure?

The alignment shop has no idea and I have never heard of this problem either. The power steering pump seems to be functioning and the fluid is not leaking from the power steering (ie: hasnít loss any fluid.) Steering force hasnít changed either.

Subaru is closed for a few days and canít see me for a while and I am getting ready to move from Montana to New York next week, so I need to solve this problem ASAP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eric Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
snowbrdrfromnh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3103
Just a thought, but could it be the steering linkage?

-Mike
snowbrdrfromnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Scooby2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2644
In general only two things will cause this.

1. Steering linkage hanging up.
2. Not enough positive caster.

If you don't have enough pos. caster then the wheel will never center itself. Its kind of like your bike forks they rake forward and keep the handle bars straight, if you ever turned the bars backward the bike steered real funny.

If you just had it aligned then look at the print out from the shop and see what the caster reading is. It should be somewhere between +1.0 to +3.0 The caster is not adjustable on the Subaru's and if yours is not reading at least +0.5 you may have suspension damage.

The steering rack may have damage to the gear teeth. Can be checked by taking off both outer tie rods from the knuckle and see if the wheel moves smoothly and freely. Also check the knuckles to see if they are free and no hang ups. If this is not the problem then you may other damage.

That's the only things I can think of that would cause the problem you described.

hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Scooby2 (edited February 10, 2001).]
Scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 12:36 AM   #4
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

Im going with a damaged rack here, for the simple fact you just had an alignment, and im assuming its correct. You had the suspension replaced for this problem? Or you just upgraded. You have a 99 I see, how many miles? Are you out of warrenty?

Have your front tires been introduced to a curb or two? No power steering noise? Does the steering feel notchy as you turn the wheel?

Jay McDade
Auto Tech--Lincoln/Mercury/Jaguar
munkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 06:44 AM   #5
Eric Gagnon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Jetta 1.8T
White

The car is a 99, never been damaged (no curbs or snowbanks), 24,000 miles, actually been on blocks for 2 months. I am taking it into a new alignment place that is computerized am maybe they can figure out what is up with it, the last guy was kinda a putz.

Eric
Old 02-14-2001, 08:07 AM   #6
Eric Gagnon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Jetta 1.8T
White

Update:

Car is at the dealership right now. Speculation is a 'bound up strut tower bearing'. We will see shortly if it is really that. I just had another alignment (hunter machine) done and he thought the steering rack was bound. Better not be serious.

Eric