Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > 'Old School' Subaru Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
steve11711
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423739
Talking 88 GL Turbo Questions

New to all of this! I bought an 88 gl turbo wagon a few weeks back. An old mechanic owned it but he had a heart attack and was unloading all of his unfinished projects. He says he thinks the head gasket needs to be replaced there's a leak behind the water pump. Thermostat doesn't work. So I have no idea how hot it's running. Another guy looked at it and he told me the water pump just needs to be replaced. 159k original miles. Should I just go for it and have the gaskets replaced? Is this a common issue? Any help would be great!
steve11711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

Being an EA82 turbo the head gaskets are normally blown. Do you mean the thermostat (the thing on the engine that restricts coolant flow when cold) is broken or the temperature gauge on the dash is broken? If its the thermostat I would suggest an OEM Subaru one. If it is the gauge get it working before you drive it any more. EA82T's LOVE to overheat and the head gaskets are pretty weak.

Both of the EA82T's that I had ended up getting head gaskets, all oil seals, water pump, thermostat and a tune up. Many if not all of the hoses under the hood ended up being replaced too. I think I put in a double row radiator in each of them too. (double row is about an inch thick ALL THE WAY ACROSS and a single row is an inch thick but pinches to a narrower depth in the center)
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
steve11711
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423739

The gauge in the car doesn't register at all. I'm having the water pump done so the guy is just going to swap a new thermostat in since its right there. I'm also doing a little tune up, new plugs and wires, new radiator hoses. Crossing my fingers that'll get her rolling. I'll look into that double radiator. Thanks
steve11711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

Ya get the gauge working (or stick an aftermarket one on the dash) before you drive it. The car WILL overheat super easy for the simplest reason.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote