Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > 'Old School' Subaru Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
mallion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 68391
Vehicle:
1989 Leone Turbo

Default ea81 blowing smoke

About 6 months ago I replaced a head gasket that had blown on my 1983 wagon. It blew bad, radiator clogged, engine would not turn over etc...
Ever since the its been blowing smoke out the back every time I decelerate by changing down gears or just taking my foot of the accelerator. I was hoping it was just left over oil in parts of the engine were it should not be after the head gasket blew. But that was quite awhile ago and its is still doing it, anyone know why?

A few people I have talked to have just said its an old engine and I should just live with it, is this the best i can hope for?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
All_talk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57843
Vehicle:
2007 Spec B

Smoke color? White/steamy = water/coolent. Blueish = oil. Are you using coolent or oil? I bet it got pretty hot, right? Did you replace any other seals when the headgaskets were done? Any smoke on hard acceleration? If its only smoking on deceleration its probably valve seals or a problem with the PCV system. Some more info will help figure it out.

Gary
All_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
mallion
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Leone Turbo

The smoke colour is just like smoke from a fire but definatly note a steam kind of smoke, anyway it does not use much water but I have to keep topping up the oil fairly regularly. I replaced all the seals that I neaded to take of to get to the head gasket but thats all.
Before the the head gasket blew the engine was running preety hot and thats what probably cuased the head gasket to blow, but it seems to be okay now but I have never driven another subaru so i do not know what a normal operating temp would be. I have one of the digital dash boards and once the engine is up and running it sits on 4 or 5 bars on the temp gauge (5 bars is half way up the temp gauge) and never goes over 5 bars (half way). Is this a normal operating temp if anyone know's what I am going on about? I'll measure the temp properly on the weekend, anyone know what the operating temp should be?.

Thanks
Thomas
Old 08-18-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
All_talk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57843
Vehicle:
2007 Spec B

Smoking is most likely valve seals, they can be changed with the heads on but itís a little tricky.

Half way on the gauge is probably normal, Iíve never had one with the digi-dash but half/just below half is normal on the analog. The stock thermostat is 192F (I recommend only using the OEM unit). If you are running a bit hot, especially at sustained high speed (freeway) its likely a plugged radiator, is very common on these cars. Donít bother with any expensive ďflushingĒ, just buy a new one and get the ďall metalĒ double core type, it comes from the turbo cars with auto trannys.

Hope this helps
Gary
All_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
mallion
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Leone Turbo

Thanks Gary, I guess I'll start reading about valve seals
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Member#: 64974
Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallion
Thanks Gary, I guess I'll start reading about valve seals
G'Day, Mallion,
when you had the 'Heads off, did you, by chance, 'clean' tops of the Pistons? If this IS the case you have 'Crap/Carbon' jammed between the RIngs/Bore.
Very Common on older Engines when heads are done!!
BTW, factory EA81's, (if genuine, DO NOT RUN Exhaust valve seals,(in Australia anyway)), hope this helps.

Sixpack Subaru
sixpack subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 AM   #7
mallion
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Leone Turbo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack subaru
G'Day, Mallion,
when you had the 'Heads off, did you, by chance, 'clean' tops of the Pistons? If this IS the case you have 'Crap/Carbon' jammed between the RIngs/Bore.
Very Common on older Engines when heads are done!!
BTW, factory EA81's, (if genuine, DO NOT RUN Exhaust valve seals,(in Australia anyway)), hope this helps.

Sixpack Subaru
Hey Sixpack subaru

Yeah, there was black carbon stuff on the top of the pistons. I tried to get most of it of with a wooden paint scraper and then blow it out of the bore area. It worked ok, I got a fair bit of but I didnít try to hard as I was unsure of how easily I would damage the pistons so there is still stuff on there but that stuff was stuck on well.
Are you saying it could be blowing smoke because I attempted to clean it or because I did not clean it well enough?
How do I get rid of the carbon between the rings/bore?
No exhaust seals , does it have inlet seals? if so should I check these to see if the are leaking oil in?

Thanks alot sixpack, its given me more to think about because the suby does lose oil but not as fast as I would expect for a car blowing smoke so I was not entirely happy with that conclusion.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:50 AM   #8
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Quote:
Hey Sixpack subaru

Yeah, there was black carbon stuff on the top of the pistons. I tried to get most of it of with a wooden paint scraper and then blow it out of the bore area. It worked ok, I got a fair bit of but I didnít try to hard as I was unsure of how easily I would damage the pistons so there is still stuff on there but that stuff was stuck on well.
Are you saying it could be blowing smoke because I attempted to clean it or because I did not clean it well enough?
How do I get rid of the carbon between the rings/bore?
No exhaust seals , does it have inlet seals? if so should I check these to see if the are leaking oil in?

Thanks alot sixpack, its given me more to think about because the suby does lose oil but not as fast as I would expect for a car blowing smoke so I was not entirely happy with that conclusion.
IF you had the heads off it is part of good work practise to renew the Inlet Valve seals. (And yes, Exhaust DO NOT run seals as there is NO Vacuum in the Exhaust!! Inlets do-Of course. Do you guys have Upper Cylinder Cleaner?
Over here it's aprt number is:SA459, don't know whether you have it there but I would give it a go. Otherwise, pull the Pistons, renew the rings, and chuck in some big end bearings while you're at it.....

Cheers

Sixpack Subaru
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #9
mallion
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Leone Turbo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack subaru
Do you guys have Upper Cylinder Cleaner?
Over here it's aprt number is:SA459, don't know whether you have it there but I would give it a go.
Sixpack Subaru

I am from Australia to
Upper Cylinder Cleaner? will it possibly solve my problem or will it be necessary to pull the pistons out as well?

Do you have a ea81? If so what petrol do you use in it?

Thanks
mallion
Old 08-29-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Quote:
I am from Australia to
Upper Cylinder Cleaner? will it possibly solve my problem or will it be necessary to pull the pistons out as well?

Do you have a ea81? If so what petrol do you use in it?

Thanks
mallion
Yeah, Sorry, so many 'Septic Tanks....'
SA 459, ask for it a dealer, WHATEVER you do, DO NOT put it through your Carby, (unless recently Re-CO'ed). Get engine to Operating temp. Remove Spare Wheel, Pull Vacuum Line from Centre of Manifold, (at the back of Carb.)
Best way to put this stuff through is to give it as much time in the Combustion Chamber as Possible=Low RPM. Stick the Straw Supplied from the Can into the fitting you have just removed tha Vac line from, (Bending it is a good way to Stop it being sucked in if it comes loose from the can, also helps to use the whole can), short sharp squirts, longer and longer until your hear the engine rpm start to drop, the idea is to put as MUCH of the SA459 into it without stalling the Eng, (if you do stall it, just keep cranking with full accel until it starts, then back to idle and continue).

This WILL help, although the damage may well be done already.

Cheers,
Sixpack Subaru
PS:
Normal EFI manifolds you can pump 1/2 a can into them when not running, and then crank over to suck the stuff in well, yours is Obviously carby and the manifold has one side higher than the other!
Old 08-29-2004, 06:25 AM   #11
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

As far as owning one, do you know of a way I can post Photo's on here?
I never owned one myself, but I spent 4-5 years earning by rent on them!!!
Got some SWEEET pics of an engine if you're interested??

Sixpack Subaru