Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-01-2001, 04:53 AM   #1
malaki
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3863
Question need help wiring trunk latch to factory alarm

I would appreciate some help with my situation. I thought the factory alarm system would have been prewired to the trunk hatch-light. I was wrong. I would like to run a wire from the hatch-light to the alarm system. Could someone please tell me which wire I need to patch into? All help is appreciated, but specifics would be best. Thank you in advance for your time.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
malaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 05:03 AM   #2
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 02:39 PM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

You could tap into a rear-door switch. Connect the return wire from the trunk light to the return wire from the door switch. I don't know how everything is wired, but I assume that each plunger-type switch for the dome/trunk light completes a circut when opened. If you tap the two together either should set off the alarm.
Note: That door will probably turn on the trunk light when open.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Note #2
I just might have to get the trunk light kit now even though the same effect could be accomplished with a mercury switch.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
Penphoe
Friendly Neighbourhood

Member#: 269
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2005 ABP LGT LTD BP6
00 Impreza RS GM6 RIP

You might as well get a trunk light -- it'll be the cheapest and most useful mod you can put on your RS!

When you hook your alarm to the trunk light wiring, it'll be "hot" (read 12V) until the trunk is open which will connect the ground switch and complete the circuit.

I hooked my alarm to the trunk light so that if someone opens my trunk with the alarm armed, it'll go off!

I've also wired in a remote trunk release by myself -- but that's another story all together!

LaterZ!
Darren!!
Penphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 01:24 AM   #6
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

I know for boating applications you can get 60watt 12v lights... I was contemplating using something like that in the trunk. Lord knows I've got enough juice back there.
Old 02-02-2001, 04:53 AM   #7
malaki
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks everybody, this is good information. This weekend I'll try and put it to good use.

I was trying to avoid connecting the trunk to the door wiring, just didn't want to mess anything up, you know to many factors to the equation.
With my luck I would blow the dome light.

This web site is great! Where else can you go ask one question and get multiple different answeres.
Old 02-04-2001, 06:56 AM   #8
malaki
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Well everybody, after playing with my alarm a little bit I figured out what I'm going to do. Thanks to Peaty and the list of all of the wire lines. I decided to hook my wire to line #18. There is nothing attached to this line, so I know I won't hurt any other electrical components, which makes me want to hook up the hood and trunk to this wire position. I tested the line by sticking a bare wire on to the pin, I shut the door, set the alarm, grounded the wire, and the alarm sensed an intruder. Now all I need is a female receptacle pin that I can put in the harness and everything will be perfect.
Thanks everyone I appreciate all your help this makes me feel more secure.

[This message has been edited by malaki (edited February 04, 2001).]