Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default Want to try new knock sensor - the one with the inline filter

Ok, I went to my local Subaru dealer and got a new knock sensor. It doesn't look like there's any noise filter on it. The guy said that was the newest one they have. So, my question to you guys is how do I tell I have one with the noise filter? Is it something I'd easily see? If not, where would I look to tell? As well, if I don't have the one with the noise filter, what part number would I ask for when getting it? Anybody have pictures/part number of the one with the noise filter?

My sensor just says:
SEN ASSY-KNOCK
22060AA070

I'm kind of guessing it's not the right one just from looking at it, but I want to make sure. I haven't openned the package yet. I'm waiting to see if this is the right one before I blow $90 on a useless part.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

there is no knock sensor with a noise filter in it. People have added one. I tried one out, and didn't like what it did to the car. It just seemed to zap all the peppiness out of the car.
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 62819
Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

There is a new filtered knock sensor from Subaru. I only got one by accident at Ann Arbor Subaru. I had to round off the corners of the engine bay connector to have it fit, but it's worked perfectly. If you like, I'll get the part number and post it.

Hey BRR, if you're still having hesitation problems, use Seafoam in all three ways it can be used. It's made a very big difference on my 02 OBW with 55k miles. Look out for the amount of smoke when you put it in the PCV tube!!
craigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

BTW, don't forget to have them reflash the ECU at the dealership. It's worked better for me after.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:21 AM   #5
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Yeah, the part number would be good. I'd like to know if I have the right one, or if not, I'd like to be able to give the parts guy the part number I want. Pics would be nice too...if available.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

I'll get a couple of pics, both the sensor and the rounded connector for reference. It'll be tonight when I get home and can take it out.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

Sorry, it'll be a while. My car was nailed on the way home tonight. Just front end damage, but it wasn't even driveable. I won't have it back for several weeks. The only thing I can say now is the service manuals I downloaded for '02 OBs showed the filtered sensor as standard. So, I think they gave me one based on the 10/02 productions and when I gave them my VIN, they saw it was before then. Just a guess, but I know there was a change in the front O2 sensor about then. Stands to reason they would update the knock sensor at the same time. I'd bluntly ask about a different part # for a later '02. Sorry for the delay...I hate being without my Scooby, hesitation and all!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Sorry to hear about your car; I'd hate to be without mine too.

So...is that a no on the part number and pics?

Oh, you mentioned downloading a service manual? Do you have a website? Free or $$$ too?

I hope your insurance takes care of everything. If it's their fault, you should have your Subbie like new for free.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

/me thinks you just got the wrong knock sensor not a knock sensor with a noise filter
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #10
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

me too, but I don't know, hense the desire to find out via pics and/or part number.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #11
Matt K
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 45204
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
16 you don't
respond to danger

any info yet?
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

Sorry, didn't notice any further replies until just now. Thanks on the car. Yeah, someone else's fault, not a penny out of my pocket ($4500 estimate), even with MI's "no-fault" insurance, even the rental is billed directly to my insurance. Got a hybrid Toyota for the rental (no Subs to rent locally), so I'm not compaining about the 44 mpg average, just want my AWD!!

Anyhew, it'll be two more weeks before I could check the part # for you. Be glad to if it's still needed then. The service manual is an open access (20 downloads/hr though) at techinfo.subaru.com. Costs $20 for 72 hrs access to any PDF they offer, any year, any model, etc. You can check them out to the point before viewing them to see what you'd want before you pay. Not a bad deal really.

If anybody wants the PDF for my '02 OBW showing the filtered knock sensor in a drawing, I can email it to you whenever. Just email me at either craigz@umcu.org (work) or craigzuehlke@yahoo.com (home), I'll reply pretty quickly during work hours.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Yeah, the pic in the PDF should do.

Glad to hear your incident came out free to you, always good to see that.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
craigz
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Outback
Blue/Titanium

What's your email? The online email doesn't allow for attachments.