Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
azncandyman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3132
Vehicle:
Pear Black

Default HELP! one of my sparkplugs is stuck!

HELP! one of my sparkplugs is stuck! I just got some denso plugs and I as I working I noticed one of the plugs is stuck. If I turn the racket really hard it moves, but it doesnt get any loser....Can anyone help me?

Last edited by azncandyman; 09-17-2004 at 12:34 AM.
azncandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
reddevil
Scooby Guru

Member#: 64673
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy wagon
goes 12.387 @ 116.5

ewwww....I am going to shut my eyes and back away like I never read this.

Good luck, I wish I actually could offer some advice.
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
azncandyman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Pear Black

ok I used wd40 and then tried to force out the plug the threading is now stuck inside the engine bay. I am sooo screwd....Can anyone give me any pointers on what to do next?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
Tim Sanderson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6486
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Pull the head and have a helicoil installed. Or replace the head. It is possible that you might be able to use athread chaser to clean up the threads, but you risk dropping shavings into the combustion chamber.

Sorry to hear it.

Good luck.

P.s. this may be premature and you may get better advice from someone else. I hope it turns out ok for you.
Tim Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
bobko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64646
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy wagon
Green

I feel your pain on this... it sounds like a very bad situation. Before you do anything else, you might want to see if the engine will run. Perhaps you can drive it to a good mechanic who can professionally deal with this problem.

If the car doesn't run properly:

This sounds pointless, but I suggest that you start with the basics. Make sure that your socket is properly engaging the spark plug. Sorry if this makes you sound like an idiot, but make sure you are trying to remove the plug instead of tighten it. If you're reaching over from the wrong side you could have your directions screwed up. (I apologize in advance for this beginner's pointer, but I had to say it.) Make sure that your ratchet is working properly and isn't somehow hung up on something else. Beg, borrow or buy a better ratchet and/or socket if you think that will help.

If you are following all the basics properly, it sure sounds like the threads are damaged in the cylinder head and probably on the spark plug as well. Try forcing the plug to the side as you attempt to thread it off with the ratchet. This sometimes helps me remove a recalcitrant bolt. Since it sounds like the plug and threads are toast, don't worry too much about breaking the plug in the process.

If nothing works, see if you have a tool that you can use to drill out the plug. You will have to break the plug off in order to drill it. Drilling this out is going to be difficult to impossible with normal homeowner tools, as the plugs on Subarus don't have a lot of space around them. You may want to check a Home Depot for a right-angle drilling attachment or possibly even rent something from a tool rental place.

Assuming the threads are bad, you will have to drill out all of the destroyed plug and re-thread the spark plug hole. You will probably have to drill the hole out a little bigger than stock, then tap it out for a TimeCerts or Helicoil insert. (I think that's what they're called.) I believe these products have kits to restore spark plug holes but I have never used one and am not personally familiar with them.

If you can still drive the car, taking it to a professional is what I recommend. Actually, warming up the engine may help you get this loose and you might want to try that first.

Good luck!

--Bob
bobko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
bobko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64646
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy wagon
Green

I did a quick Web search for TimeCerts but did not quickly find company info. However, the manufacturer of Heli-Coil inserts is at www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html. I looked around a little bit and the site looks only marginally helpful. You may have to log in to get detailed information.

--Bob
bobko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl
1993 Impreza FWD WRX swap

Remove the head and take it to a machine shop...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
azncandyman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Pear Black

Thank you all for your time and your advice. I was turing the socket the correct way only an idiot would tighten it. (no offence taken bob =)) I just got my car back from the mechanic today. It doesn't go when I gas it hard. He said its the TPS sensor. So now I'm looking around for one. Thanks again everyone! =D

Randy