Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
scoobyred
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59884
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 L impreza
white

Cool question on 2.2 turbos

I know where i can get one cheap just the motor. what would i need to get one in an impreza? Also would it be a good deck to turn into a high rpm n/a motor? Direct me here
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scoobyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
subiekid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25516
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy TURBO!!!
EJ22T/TEC3 & '12 Civic

read the FAQ in the conversions forum. and dont post this question. it has been covered many times. most of the answers are in the FAQ in the conversions forum.
subiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyred
Also would it be a good deck to turn into a high rpm n/a motor? Direct me here
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=ej22

This thread should answer all your other questions. The one I quoted intrigues me. I have been thinking about this a bit myself and even though this is the wrong forum(should be NA), let's entertain it. I think this is a very feasible idea with the right parts. With the 2.2l displacement, you could rev this engine higher than an EJ25 without having to get so damned hung up on lightening the bottom end. Here's the formula I have thought about:

Stock EJ22T shortblock
Remove the rods and crank and have then lightened, blueprinted and knife edge the crank. Reinstall using all new bearings and hardware. Discard the pistons
Get Cobb or TWE or Crawford or Axis to make you a set of custom 12.5:1 CR pistons. This will not run on street gas. You will need to drop the CR to around 11.5:1 if you want it streetable.
Get some '97-98 EJ20K big bore WRX heads. Have them PnP'd along with some custom cams from the above mentioned tuners. Use the manifold from the heads. I have been told that the 1998 USDM 2.5RS DOHC heads use the same cores. I have not been able to verify this, but regardless, these heads are a good second choice and both Cobb and TWE already have off the shelf cams racing cams for them. Of course, you will want to upgrade your valvetrain and sprinds.
You can use the WRX injectors and rails if you source a complete JDM EJ20K. Otherwise get injectors from RC or one of the other companies guys running RS-T's use. You DO NOT need to go huge for an na build. +/- 500cc is plenty for this kind of build.

You will want a stand alone computer like a Link Plus and a tuner with a dyno to get it running right.

I am guessing you could go as high as 260-270 Chp with an 8500 redline with the above formula...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 AM   #4
scoobyred
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 L impreza
white

ok i was reading some other stuff on the internet some people wee saying if i take 22t i just have to swap the intake and it would run can anyone else tell if this is true?
i ended up with a 2.2 na in the car and did the same thing just swap the intake and it runs great the car is crazy but turbo 2.2 would be more fun.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:45 AM   #5
scoobyred
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 L impreza
white

this is one of them the links at witch i saw this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/arch...p/t-54518.html
Old 10-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Jesus.
That is an ancient thread with even JC posting. That car still runs, BTW, and is a monster. Anyways, no, you cannot just swap the intake. Here, read this:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=ej22
and every link it links. And then when you are all done with that (Sunday night or so ), reply here or shoot me a PM with any questions you still have...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote