Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
twizzstyle
Scooby Guru

Member#: 18941
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Orange

Default Car has the hiccups

I keep putting off taking the car in, cause I know its going to cost so much money, and don't have much time with school, etc etc.

The car has had a CEL on and off for, oh maybe 6 months now. Its a p0304 (I think), misfire in cylinder 4. I had a compression test done a while back, which showed number 4 a little lower, and the leakdown test was like 4% on 1, 2, and 3, and 14% on 4!

It drives great, and still gets 27mpg consistently (thats city driving mostly). So you'll be driving along, and get to a stop light. Sitting there, it starts hiccuping. It isn't a regular periodic thing, its more erradic, like:

buuuuuuuurrr-POP-burrrr-POP-POP-burrrrrr-POP

Its not very loud, but with my noisy axle-back you can hear just a little cough when it does it. The whole car kinda shimmies when it does it too. Soon as it starts doing that a lot, I just have to look down and wait for the CEL, and sure enough it comes on every time. I would say about half of every tank of gas is spent with the CEL on.

Bad valve? Dirty valve? Anybody have any valve work done, and any ideas of the cost?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
twizzstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:33 AM   #2
twizzstyle
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Orange

bump
Old 10-02-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
rabbitnutz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51940
Chapter/Region: NESIC

run seaforam through the engine, and change plugs.....if it doesn't work, it certainly should have helped.
rabbitnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
twizzstyle
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Orange

Seaforam?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
jamesfacts
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 51282
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
98 RS
black & blue from parking

Fuel filter? Coil pack, wires or plugs? Just some thoughts... go to Autozone and have them check out the code... that will narrow it down.
jamesfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Sounds somewhat like the indications I had when I was burning up one of the exhaust valves on #2, so your thoughts on a bad/dirty valve may be correct. After months of driving it that way finally the valve burned through big time and at that point there was no doubt the car was AFU. I unplugged the fuel injector and just ran on 3 cylinders for a few weeks. I can't help on repair cost because I ended up taking the opportunity to go to Cobb ported heads.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote