Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
9krpm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70980
Default HID kit in EDM Projectors grounding problem?

Does the ground connection have anything to do w/ the brightness of the lights?

I am using Honda S2000 ballasts with built in ignitors going to www.hid-lights.com 6000k bulbs based off of matt jk's thread. It seems like his lights are an ASSLOAD brighter than mine. I have them hooked up to the low beam switched grounds. I can turn my fog lights on, but only occasionally, and when that happens, the high beam indicator comes on in the gauge cluster.

The lights just do not seem as bright as they should be. I understand they are 6000k, but they just are not as bright as I had hoped.

So to refresh, I have the positive from the ballast running to the middle plug of the harness. I have the ground running to the low beam switched ground. I then have the wires coming out of the ballast going right to the HID light (using their connectors)

Is this correct? I just want my lights to be brighter.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
9krpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

HIDs are either on or off. The brightness will not vary with voltage like filament-type bulbs, once the HID capsules are lit they'll stay on with constant brightness unless the voltage falls below the operating threshold for the ballast at which time they'll flicker and/or go out.
I would not recommend using the low beam switched ground to power your HIDs, the ballasts should be directly grounded. This won't make them brighter but they should start up more reliably and you'll be avoiding potential damage to the factory wiring and headlight switch, which are not designed to accomodate the high HID startup current.
One other thing though, if you do directly ground the ballasts this will keep the low beam/HIDs on with the highs, so you should also do one of two things- either power the high beams directly from the battery, or add a power relay for the HIDs. This will prevent drawing too much current from the common headlight power when both the low and high beams are on.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
9krpm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70980

Thanks dude. I am going to see if I can fabricate a way to get the D2S bulb to sit in there properly that came w/ my S2000 HID KIt. THe S2000 lights are pretty bright so I would think that they ballast is a fairly good ballast. Does the brightness of lights depend on the ballast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
HIDs are either on or off. The brightness will not vary with voltage like filament-type bulbs, once the HID capsules are lit they'll stay on with constant brightness unless the voltage falls below the operating threshold for the ballast at which time they'll flicker and/or go out.
I would not recommend using the low beam switched ground to power your HIDs, the ballasts should be directly grounded. This won't make them brighter but they should start up more reliably and you'll be avoiding potential damage to the factory wiring and headlight switch, which are not designed to accomodate the high HID startup current.
One other thing though, if you do directly ground the ballasts this will keep the low beam/HIDs on with the highs, so you should also do one of two things- either power the high beams directly from the battery, or add a power relay for the HIDs. This will prevent drawing too much current from the common headlight power when both the low and high beams are on.
9krpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
dan avoN7
Top Scoob 002

Member#: 32771
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
03 Black WRX
04 White M3

Sry to hi-jack your thread but i have a question. I have the brightstar 5000k kit wired to battery for power, grounded on chasis, used relay's, etc... I have a turbo timer in my car and when i turn the key to the off position, right then for that split second the lights seem to brighten up alot then go back to normal while the turbo timer is counting down. What is the cause of this and does that mean they arent being as bright as they can be? I just read mulder's post so i doubt thats the case since they are either on or off but what explains the brightness increase when i turn the key off and have the timer take over.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote