Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:28 AM   #1
Geoslayer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72545
Default EA82T engine swap possible?

Hi, I bought WickedRydaX's 1986 Subaru XT turbo a while ago, and was wondering if I could put a bigger engine in it, like maybe a 2.2L or a 2.0L WRX engine in it with ease. I know anything can be done with enough money, but within reason. Like, would an older legacy drivetrain fit in an XT? Mostly I want to run more boost, and I don't trust the heads gaskets on the EA82T.

thanks

Rick
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Geoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #2
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoslayer
Hi, I bought WickedRydaX's 1986 Subaru XT turbo a while ago, and was wondering if I could put a bigger engine in it, like maybe a 2.2L or a 2.0L WRX engine in it with ease. I know anything can be done with enough money, but within reason. Like, would an older legacy drivetrain fit in an XT? Mostly I want to run more boost, and I don't trust the heads gaskets on the EA82T.

thanks

Rick
Rick,

Yes it can be done and has been done. One guy on the USMB.net site called (Dr. RX) has done this conversion. Took some time to do it right. You can search/post there for more information.

As for the gaskets, why not get copper or aftermarket gaskets from a place like Paeco or somewhere else? If that is the least of your problems, it seems like it would be a lot cheaper than an engine swap. Just how much boost are you considering running?
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Geoslayer
Scooby Newbie

Subaru Stars

Sweet, I'll go check over there. I want to run as much boost possible, either that the stock turbo will put out, or what a bigger turbo will put out. A bigger engine would help as well. Thinking I want to run around 10-25psi. I am pretty sure the stock turbo will put out up to 15....maybe. Are the aftermarket copper gaskets strong enough the hold up to 15+ psi of boost?

Thanks

Rick

Last edited by Geoslayer; 10-16-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
WJM

Member#:

Quote:

thanks

Rick
The head gaskets are NOT a problem on these engines as long as the engine is COOLED and OILED properly...IE: NO OVERHEATING!

with that said...i run the piss out of mine daily. Ive had several RX's that ran 15~17 PSI daily and never have issues.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
Geoslayer
Scooby Newbie

Cool, I have decided to put copper head gaskets in it and crank up the boost!! And will put a new clutch in, too!!

Rick
Old 10-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
WJM

Member#:

Quote:
Cool, I have decided to put copper head gaskets in it and crank up the boost!! And will put a new clutch in, too!!

Rick
TQ the heads down REALLY good...like 70 ft lbs or better. MAKE SURE the threads on the block and head bolts are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and dab a little oil on each bolt before sending them down into the block.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
Geoslayer
Scooby Newbie

Hey thanks for the help man! I think an oil cooler may be in the list too. Have you ever changed a clutch out in an EA82? What is easier, to drop the tranny, or pull the engine?? I might pull the engine, than I can work on the heads better. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Rick
Old 10-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
WJM

Member#:

Quote:
Hey thanks for the help man! I think an oil cooler may be in the list too. Have you ever changed a clutch out in an EA82? What is easier, to drop the tranny, or pull the engine?? I might pull the engine, than I can work on the heads better. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Rick
If I had a shop and time to do it...I would pull the engine. I have done it the other way as well. You might as well pull the engine that way you can reseal it while you are at it.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #9
Geoslayer
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Yeah, I have a garage and a ton of time. Just need money! lol

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-01-2004, 05:55 AM   #10
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Member#: 64974
Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Subaru Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM
TQ the heads down REALLY good...like 70 ft lbs or better. MAKE SURE the threads on the block and head bolts are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and dab a little oil on each bolt before sending them down into the block.
You are Correct, HOWEVER, it is WAAY more imporstant to lube the Bolt Heads/Washers is these, in my personal experience have given more innaccurate TQ readings than threads, (Hence the 'new' EJ angle TQ to Yield style Bolts). ALSO, it should be mentioned that I have spent over 5 years doing NOTHIG but EA's and had them Pull the Bolts out of the Block at 11Psi!!!
IF you are Removing the Engine and Taking off Cyl Heads, I would HIGHLY recommend fitting STUDS in place of bolts. Also, use 1.6mm O Ring in lengths to seal the Cam Housings.....(No leaks for 400,000kms and counting!! )
Reseal the Oil Pump while you are there, along with Cam seals and retainer O rings........
(Although the EJ Series Conversins I have Carried out have much more 'Bang for Your Buck' than ANY EA series.....

Any Info required Gladly Given.....

Cheers and Good Luck,

Sixpack Subaru
sixpack subaru is offline   Reply With Quote