|10-23-2004, 05:02 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2002Vehicle:
Head Gaskets again
I know this has been covered a lot, but I did a search and read through all 13 pages of problems, and now I have a lot more questions than I originally thought. I think I just blew my head gasket. I started overheating and pulled over right away and found a coolant leak on the bottom of the block near the #4 piston. I think I caught it early enough to prevent too much damage, but I'm not sure. By the way, this if for a 2001 2.5 SOHC w/115k miles, so way out of warranty even though I didn't get the coolant conditioner notice. Most of the info I found was for the DOHC, so I don't know whether everything is applicable here.
1) First question. I'm getting my head gaskets replaced, I assume they're going to remove the engine. What else should I be doing at the same time? So far this is what I've been thinking:
machining the head (most likely)
new water pump
oil pump seal?
oil separator plate? (not sure if I read this one correctly)
something on the valves?
Anything I'm missing? By the way, I had the timing belt and all accesssory belts replaced recently, so I don't think I need to do those again.
2) When did subaru switch to the new 4 layer gaskets? Are the ones that came stock in 2001 the 4 layer? Anyone have the part number for the 2001 motor?
3) Copper gaskets? Are they better? Worse? From what I read they are stronger and less likely to break, but leak more in our engines? True or False?
4) Any special precautions when machining the head? What is the flatness tolerance? I've read anywhere between .002 and .010 as the limit. And what kind of surface finish does it need to be?
5) How many hours of labor is this for a normal (i.e. general import auto) mechanic?
5) Anything tricky that I need to warn the mechanic about? Special torque requirements or hidden problems? Any other special precautions that need to be taken? It's a friend of a friend, he's worked on subarus but is mostly a honda/toyota guy, so I want to give him as much info as possible.
Thanks for the help
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Last edited by ducktapeguy; 10-23-2004 at 05:12 AM.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Re used head bolts... caused head gasket to blow again?||brian3676||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||14||05-01-2008 08:00 AM|
|GRRRR! My head gasket is leaking again!||Snoopy||Off-Topic||7||10-11-2004 04:26 PM|
|Pat Olsen - head gasket question once again.||2.5GT||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||1||11-16-2001 02:32 PM|
|Bad Head Gaskets again......||seowitz||Warranty Issues & SOA Problems||2||11-12-2001 02:22 PM|
|Leaky Head Gasket & Water Pump Gasket - MY00 Forester||lark6||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||20||11-10-2001 11:22 PM|