Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
Cole
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64219
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ + NESIC Interloper
Vehicle:
2011 Outbackness
2008 Legacy NA Hellastock

Default PS2 Steering Wheel -- Which one should I buy?

Title says it all....I'm looking for recommendations on a steering wheel/pedal setup for PS2 to take in the (anticipated) grandeur of teh GT4.

Thanks!!1!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Protege Menace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41950
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: www.faqurug.com
Vehicle:
faq u rug

Default

70-80 bucks for the logitec force feedback.

its USB so i can sue it for my PS2 racing games AND computer games.....


I have NO problems with it. the paddle shifters are nice since thats what WRC works cars use (meaning the ones that coem with shifters are worthless)
Protege Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

That logitec one that's $150 and does full 920 degree steering or somesuch.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
pio!pio!
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4190
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Aspen White

Default

dont buy the old logitech force feedbck..they made a new one that s designed for gt4..it features better force feedback and 900 degrees of steering rotation (ie something liek 2.4 turns lock to lock) like a real car..
pio!pio! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
pio!pio!
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4190
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
That logitec one that's $150 and does full 920 degree steering or somesuch.

Vostok 7
you read my mind
pio!pio! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Yeah, I think you should buy that new logitec one designed for GT4 that has like 900+ degrees steering or something like that.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio!pio!
you read my mind
I have the [willy]Shinnin'[/willy]

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
Protege Menace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41950
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: www.faqurug.com
Vehicle:
faq u rug

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio!pio!
dont buy the old logitech force feedbck..they made a new one that s designed for gt4..it features better force feedback and 900 degrees of steering rotation (ie something liek 2.4 turns lock to lock) like a real car..

that could get VERY annoying though....

and how often in racing do you make EXTREME turns?

even in autocross i never make more than a 90 degree of the wheel.


is gt4 a parallel parking simulator?

spending TWICE the amount just to get some more turning of the wheel is dumb IMO.
Protege Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Cole
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64219
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ + NESIC Interloper
Vehicle:
2011 Outbackness
2008 Legacy NA Hellastock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
I have the [willy]Shinnin'[/willy]

Vostok 7
Shhhhhhhhhh........Do you want to get sued?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege Menace
that could get VERY annoying though....

and how often in racing do you make EXTREME turns?

even in autocross i never make more than a 90 degree of the wheel.


is gt4 a parallel parking simulator?

spending TWICE the amount just to get some more turning of the wheel is dumb IMO.
No, the difference is it lessens the sensetivity of the wheel.

One thing I've hated about wheels is that they only go 90 degrees, and so when you barely touch it one way the car just flies off in that direction. With a true to life wheel the sensetivity would be much less so there's alot more room.

Basically, with a regular 90 degree wheel, you have to fit 2.5 turns within 1/2 or 1/4 of a turn.

It'll make it alot more realistic.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #11
Protege Menace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41950
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: www.faqurug.com
Vehicle:
faq u rug

Default

so be it, but do you really need 900 degrees of rotation?

mine goes just over 180 which is MORE than enough.

in the racing game si paly im going to fast to make corners that need that much turning. add soemf orce feedback and your arms coudl get tired quick.


Until i try one im stil gunna think tis retarded erason to spend twice the amount.
Protege Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #12
roffle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42251
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Vehicle:
uh oh
trumpet butt

Default

900 degrees of euphoria
roffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM   #13
Compressed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 12271
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2012 4Runner TE
KDSS!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege Menace
so be it, but do you really need 900 degrees of rotation?

mine goes just over 180 which is MORE than enough.

in the racing game si paly im going to fast to make corners that need that much turning. add soemf orce feedback and your arms coudl get tired quick.


Until i try one im stil gunna think tis retarded erason to spend twice the amount.

Your reasons have zero logic.

Try again, you lose.
Compressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
Protege Menace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41950
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: www.faqurug.com
Vehicle:
faq u rug

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compressed
Your reasons have zero logic.

Try again, you lose.

again, no.

look at F1 cars, do THEIR steering wheels go more than 180 degrees?

are you gunna put a damn suicide knob on your wheel????

your reasons for needing 900 degrees have no logic.

you lose
Protege Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #15
fuzzycuffs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 32309
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ (and soon Tokyo, JP)
Vehicle:
2003 Silver WRX
Who needs a car in Tokyo?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
That logitec one that's $150 and does full 920 degree steering or somesuch.

Vostok 7
I got that one for $60 refurb.
fuzzycuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #16
Foxy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33069
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 STI
WRB

Default

My review:

Strengths:
High quality materials/workmanship in the wheel

Weaknesses:
Short cables, flimsy desktop attachment system, pedals move, weak force feedback effects in GT3:A-Spec, vague tracking when wheel is near center

Summary:
I read all the glowing reviews of this steering wheel and eagerly dropped the cash to try it out with Gran Turismo 3: A-spec. Unfortunately, it's been quite disappointing - I am going to return it shortly.

-The USB cable is very short. I can't reach my PS2 from the sofa/coffee table; I have to move the coffee table closer to the TV and sit on a stool so that the cable will reach.

-The wheel attaches to a tabletop with two clamps that screw down through the unit. The clamps are made of plastic that flex and bend, making the wheel shift. I don't know if this affects gameplay, but it certainly is annoying.

-The pedals have a spiky section that folds down to grip a carpeted surface. However, I noticed the pedals moving further away from where I was sitting after only a few laps, requiring that I reposition it.

-Weak/nonexistant force feedback effects. I never noticed the wheel 'fighting' me, any vibration, anything at all. I even rammed some walls at high speed just to see if anything would happen. Maybe my unit is defective, but it was extremely disappointing. There was no feedback around sharp turns, no feeling the car sliding, no rumbling if you went off the track or onto a rumble strip.

-The wheel seems 'floppy' or loose when near the center (say, maybe within 60 degrees either way from center). A normal car gives consistent feeling when you turn the wheel, this wheel, you can feel it being extremely loose near the center, with very vague effects on the screen - you turn the wheel, and the car may or may not make the subtle movement that you are trying to achieve. Once you get near the 200 degree limit, you can feel significantly more resistance.

All in all, I was very disappointed with this wheel. It seems that I got an entirely different wheel than what the websites reviewed. But if this IS the best wheel for the PS2, looks like I'll never buy one. Just overall a huge disappointment. See if you can try a friend's wheel before you buy.


With all this said, I am wondering if perhaps the reason the wheel didn't do any FF is because of my PS2. I've noticed that my controller doesn't do any FF. I am going to be building a racing cockpit (complete with a new PS2) to play GT4 in, and I may try these again. But I am going to keep my receipt.
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #17
roffle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42251
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Vehicle:
uh oh
trumpet butt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy
My review:

Strengths:
High quality materials/workmanship in the wheel

Weaknesses:
Short cables, flimsy desktop attachment system, pedals move, weak force feedback effects in GT3:A-Spec, vague tracking when wheel is near center

Summary:
I read all the glowing reviews of this steering wheel and eagerly dropped the cash to try it out with Gran Turismo 3: A-spec. Unfortunately, it's been quite disappointing - I am going to return it shortly.

-The USB cable is very short. I can't reach my PS2 from the sofa/coffee table; I have to move the coffee table closer to the TV and sit on a stool so that the cable will reach.

-The wheel attaches to a tabletop with two clamps that screw down through the unit. The clamps are made of plastic that flex and bend, making the wheel shift. I don't know if this affects gameplay, but it certainly is annoying.

-The pedals have a spiky section that folds down to grip a carpeted surface. However, I noticed the pedals moving further away from where I was sitting after only a few laps, requiring that I reposition it.

-Weak/nonexistant force feedback effects. I never noticed the wheel 'fighting' me, any vibration, anything at all. I even rammed some walls at high speed just to see if anything would happen. Maybe my unit is defective, but it was extremely disappointing. There was no feedback around sharp turns, no feeling the car sliding, no rumbling if you went off the track or onto a rumble strip.

-The wheel seems 'floppy' or loose when near the center (say, maybe within 60 degrees either way from center). A normal car gives consistent feeling when you turn the wheel, this wheel, you can feel it being extremely loose near the center, with very vague effects on the screen - you turn the wheel, and the car may or may not make the subtle movement that you are trying to achieve. Once you get near the 200 degree limit, you can feel significantly more resistance.

All in all, I was very disappointed with this wheel. It seems that I got an entirely different wheel than what the websites reviewed. But if this IS the best wheel for the PS2, looks like I'll never buy one. Just overall a huge disappointment. See if you can try a friend's wheel before you buy.


With all this said, I am wondering if perhaps the reason the wheel didn't do any FF is because of my PS2. I've noticed that my controller doesn't do any FF. I am going to be building a racing cockpit (complete with a new PS2) to play GT4 in, and I may try these again. But I am going to keep my receipt.
Okay, that review was great and all, but what wheel are you taling about?
roffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #18
Foxy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33069
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 STI
WRB

Default

The one that everyone is talking about, the 900 degree spinning wheelie dealie.
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzycuffs
I got that one for $60 refurb.
WHERE?! TELL NOW.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:37 PM   #20
fuzzycuffs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 32309
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tempe, AZ (and soon Tokyo, JP)
Vehicle:
2003 Silver WRX
Who needs a car in Tokyo?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
WHERE?! TELL NOW.

Vostok 7
Local shop. Sorry.

But I did find a link... reviews of the shop gave it 4 stars out of 5 with 15 reviews... but I've never heard of the place.

http://www.ictcompany.com/store/prod...m=LGT-DrFcePro

Remember all who want it, it doesn't come with a lap attachment (refurb or retail). You gotta get it extra if you want it.
fuzzycuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #21
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

$55! NICE!

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which One Should I Buy? subySerb Off-Topic 38 02-25-2010 02:35 AM
Which One Should I Buy??? newerWRX Car Part Reviews 1 01-08-2010 08:42 PM
FPS- Which one should i buy? NightHawk Off-Topic 26 01-03-2009 09:45 PM
Looking for coilovers- which ones should I buy? jefersun Brakes, Steering & Suspension 22 12-10-2004 11:42 AM
Which one should I buy? cyyeo430 Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 1 12-11-2002 04:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.