Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
txl146
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32459
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34
Junior Tuned 301whp

Default Just replaced intake manifold gaskets on 02 WRX

Reason why they were replaced:
Passenger side intake manifold gasket blew soon after installing TXS TMIC most likely due to ~3psi more pressure drop over JDM STI core. Car could not reach target boost of 19psi (protuned) and finally after performing DIY leak test I realized that it was leaking through intake manifold gasket.

New gaskets:
Ordered a pair of Grimmspeed intake manifold gaskets for $9.99 plus shipping, which is a great deal.

Installation

Unfortunately, my camera battery went missing, so I wasn't able to take any pictures.

Took a little over 4 hours including having a dinner.

In my opinion, the hardest part was scraping old gasket off without scratching the surface, which is why it took an hour to completely scrape off all. There were hardened gasket material that had to be removed using a sharp blade.

I did not drain the coolant nor remove power steering pump. Just moved the power steering hard line instead. My co-worker (DSM guy) recommended that gasket sealant be used, but I opted not to based on GrimmSpeed's recommendation.

Haven't had a chance to test drive it, but will see what happens tomorrow morning.

Last edited by txl146; 08-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Vlad
Scooby Guru

Member#: 46135
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

So you pressure tested by hooking up at the trottle body?

I'm happy for you and wish you all the best, but an engine stops in a position where at least one set of exhaust valves are open. How did you build pressure in the head, to see it was leaking?
Did you spray soap and it bubbled? If so, you probably got lucky and it stopped just so that the exhaust valves were closed on the runner that leaked..
Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
WyomingWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377945

whatever happened here
Old 09-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
undercooled
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424535
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX