Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 9, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
NapaBavarian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77114
Default '92 2.2 performance options?

I have the basics outlined, full exhust, intake, match port and pollish the block, free up intake, and I don't want move the power band up, I'm looking for mid range torque, but I havn't seen anyone who regrinds cams, and I'd like to stroke it to 2.5l, I might even build it for 91-93 octane fuel. I'm mostly looking for input and ideas right now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NapaBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

You are thinking in the right direction, but need a little redirection.
Delta does a regrind for your cams. They run $165 plus freight. It gives you about 15 hp and it mostly a midrange torque grind. You won't lose your bottom end.

Unless you are doing the port work yourself, don't waste your money. There are minimal gains to be had there.

No point in stroking your block to 2.5l. What you want to do is find an EJ25 shortblock and just swap your heads and everything else over to it. This would put you in the 11.2:1 CR range or so. Along with those cams, you will break 200hp at the crank. We are currently building one of these in my garage. The engine is complete except we are waiting for the cams to be delivered. If they come today or tommorow it will be in the car and running by the end of the weekend.

For more, do a search in this forum for a thread about a high compression frankenstein build. Frankensubbies rule!
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
NapaBavarian
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, do you know what grade fuel this will demand? I plan to pollish the insides myself, mostly looking to improve economy with performance, this is for a VW Vanagon, I love the engine in my SVX so much that I can't give up subaru engines and the VW engines are just too troublesome.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

premium will be required. And unless you are doing a vavle job, don't really expect any noticeable results on your heads. It will kind of be like masturbating: no real product at the end of it...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson
No point in stroking your block to 2.5l. What you want to do is find an EJ25 shortblock and just swap your heads and everything else over to it. This would put you in the 11.2:1 CR range or so. Along with those cams, you will break 200hp at the crank. We are currently building one of these in my garage. The engine is complete except we are waiting for the cams to be delivered. If they come today or tommorow it will be in the car and running by the end of the weekend.

For more, do a search in this forum for a thread about a high compression frankenstein build. Frankensubbies rule!
Matt, this is awesome. I didn't know you were taking on a project like this. I KNOW you are going to get some dyno results right? I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I guess it's in the conversions section. This is something I may be interested in, in the far future for my Outback. It's turbocharge days are over. N/A would be cool though. I await your results.

BTW: The guys over at USMB.NET love Delta Cams. I haven't been as successful with my grind on my XT6 though since I ruined my exhaust by going to wide. The car has no low end now but top end has improved. I'm looking to purchase another set for my other XT6 that is setup for torque rather than hp. Sorry...I can't help talking about my oldy scoobies.

Has anyone else here purchased Delta cams for their 2.2s? What were the results?

BTW: NapaBavarian, you may be able to swap in a 2.5ltr SOHC ECU into your 2.2ltr Impreza. I used to run with a 1999 2.5ltr Legacy GT ECU for years and it freed up some hp. I tested 3 ECUs here in the past and posted the results. I swapped them on the dyno and kepted retesting, swapping and testing again. The Legacy one always came out a few hp/torque more than my stock ECU and another Impreza ECU. You can purchase a stock 2.5ltr ECU from junkyards, like http://www.car-part.com/. I purchased all my ECUs from junkyards there and get them anywhere from $25.00 to $65.00 (of course some are more). I do this because I'm poor and cheap.
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
G.Subramaniam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64528

I purchased Delta cams for my 1995 and 1997 2.2L cars
By butt dyno, it seems about 10-15 whp kicking in by 2500 rpm
Excellent bang for the buck
G.Subramaniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
NapaBavarian
Scooby Newbie

3 more questions...

1) will any ej25 do, or is it model specific?

2) will the 11.2:1 compresion engine run on 91 or will I need to mix in additives?

3) What computer are you using for your engine? Someone mentioned a later box, but I need to keep this OBD 1.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
reddevil
Scooby Guru

Member#: 64673
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy wagon
goes 12.387 @ 116.5

As long as you don't want ABS, supercharging is a very viable option.

I am currently pushing 6 psi, next step is 8-9 psi.

I am running it on a 1990 NA stock block (rebuilt with new pistons, nothing fancy).

If you are handy, it is VERY easy to do. But the cost starts at $750ish and up to $2000 for what I have spent to get where I am.

Here is most of the story.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=supercharger

For a legacy, the car is durned fast.
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote