Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
jblaine
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8512
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Default Who has popped a v7 or v8 STI JDM shortblock and why?

Anyone?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32792
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

i guess they're pretty tough, jeff.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
jblaine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Good, because I have one on the way to bag and shelve for the day I need it
Old 12-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

you seem to be amassing parts lately... preparing for the apocalypse?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
dwx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8343
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Jeff Sponaugle broke two V7 shortblocks I believe, both spun bearings. Scoobynet may be a better place to ask the question.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
jblaine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000
you seem to be amassing parts lately... preparing for the apocalypse?
Heh

I don't know, really. I just kind of vaguely moving more and more in the direction of "finalizing" everything I want to make this car exactly how I want it, from bumper to bumper.

The STI RA gearset is in a box on my living room floor - want better peace of mind to drive the car how I want to, and want the ratios.

I installed my SMP / Ron Davis radiator and Crucial thermostat Saturday to help the cooling system.

I have a turbo inlet hose, STI RA TGV housings, gasket-matched + Jet Hot 2000 coated exhaust manifold, cleaned/tested STI 550cc injectors, coated PDE up-pipe (to replace old JDM OEM one), and Walbro 255 pump to install.

Definitely spending a lot of money, but I'm in the position to do it right now in my life, have lots saved still, intend to keep the car a LONG time after all of this work, and may never get the chance again to do it.

Brakes, wheels, tires, seats, gauges, cosmetics, exhaust, TMIC, are all done.

Suspension is 95% done (ALK wanted).

I'm probably getting a 16G, then the tuning commences (still up in the air on that decision).

I'm even going to use Langka to try and fix my paint chips cleanly after all of the mechanical work. Supposedly the stuff works. Kit is ready to go in garage. Then a deep clean, clay bar treatment, polish, and wax.

I think the only thing that is on my list of "wants" that I may never do, due to cost, is a better steering ratio.

Just shooting for the all-around tight-performing sportscar tuned on as many levels as possible within my justification bounds
Old 12-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #7
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

yes, the steering rack is a bitch, eh? $1k. the only alternative was the gearbox in the column idea tossed about a while back but not much seems to have happened with that.

i'm with you on the mod methods though. it looks like one of your "big days" will entail pulling the intake manifold and doing a lot of swapping. probably port the mani at that time too, right? i think i remember you have a die grinder ready for that task.... inlet pipe, tgv housings, injectors too. did you think about doing the parallel rail mod at that time? that's on my list for the big day.

the 16g seems like a very sweet turbo. there are some conflicting reports on it though.. some say it's pretty much like a vf30/34 until you put in the high octane, then it really shines at higher PRs. others (namely john banks and the crew from across the pond, as well as TMS) say it's got bigger balls than a vf22, which doesn't need race gas to get to 300 whp on any dyno. in any event, it sounds like a great option, and is the one i've been eyeballing HARD lately myself. the allure of the vf22 is hard to beat though.. so cheap, so powerful!

langka, eh? sounds interesting. NE winters do take a toll on the finish...

ken
Old 12-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #8
jblaine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

For anyone interested (untried as yet): http://www.langka.com/index.cfm?page=home.cfm

I saw people mentioning it a few months ago in "Interior & Exterior Modification & Care"

There will definitely be a big "day" that includes what you mentioned, followed by another day of exhaust manifold + up-pipe + turbo.

Before then, I've got to cut/grind out the plates (not butterfly, those are gone) from the STI RA TGV housings, drill and tap my exhaust manifold, and send it out for coating (I expect that to be next week).

Hell, if I get adventurous, I may even throw the STI shortblock in at the same time and put the EJ205 in a bag on the shelf instead Engine hoist... more $$$. It never ends.

Yes, I have a sexy Ingersoll-Rand 24 gallon 5HP compressor and air tools as of 2 months ago. Fun. That was all a chunk of change, too.

What the hell is the parallel rail mod?
Old 12-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
Kingpin
Vendor

Member#: 41252
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
Twin 2005 600WHP
FormulaD/TimeAttack Sti's

Mike popped one. Burned a hole in a piston. Detted hard on a long 4th gear pull and never let out.

I popped one. pounded out rod bearings... and I mean pounded out.. As in rods loose I ran that motor at 8500-9000 rpm for a year. It saw an 1820 and a GT30R along with up to a 70 shot of nitrous. It held 2.2 bar of boost on some dyno pulls and road going antics. Mainly lived life at 1.5 to 1.7 bar of boost though. Ended life while doing continous donuts for a video. The oil light came on and that was that.. nice loud rod knock. Pistons and bores looked great though...

They are damn strong. I will tell you that.

Clark
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote