Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Sean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 518
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
762 PGT Impreza L,
Silverado EXT, Yaris

Rally Stuff Tie rod boot/steering rack grease? Replacing torn boot.

OK, I'm replacing a torn tie rod boot on the rally car (steering rack end, not the knuckle end) and I'm trying to figure out what grease to use once I clean out all the grit and nasties (D3 below). The only reference I've been able to find on the board is this vague reference to not add more grease:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...64&postcount=6
You do not need any grease. Just leave whatever grease exists on the rack well alone.
The boot in question is the one pictured in the bottom-left hand corner that covers D3. The factory service manual says to use "genuine grease", but I'd rather just go to Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone instead of spending some exuberant amount at my local dealer. Any suggestions?

NESIC Web Site | Trunkmonkey FAQ | Trunkmonkey Racing | Trunkmonkeys in Action
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Sean; 12-30-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
subarurabbit
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4083
Vehicle:
2006 OBS SE
regal blue

Last edited by subarurabbit; 12-30-2004 at 06:23 PM.
subarurabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Sean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 518
Vehicle:
762 PGT Impreza L,
Silverado EXT, Yaris

Ha, thanks for the original offer you edited, but North got me the boot quite a while ago. The clip is reusable and the band is a metal spring band, not a crimp band, so I can even reuse that. According to the above link, the recommended grease is VALIANT GREASE M2 ($90/pound), so I'll be searching for alternatives. At least now I know what viscosity to look for.

Thanks!

NESIC Web Site | Trunkmonkey FAQ | Trunkmonkey Racing | Trunkmonkeys in Action
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote