Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
snkfischer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403861
Default 2008 Impreza A/C IG fuse keeps blowing

If someone has posted something like this before, apologies. I couldn't find anything specific to my issue in the forums.

I have a 2008 Subaru 2.5i sedan. Recently, the interior fans would not run when I went to turn them on (manual A/C). When I went to look at the fuses, the A/C IG fuse (fuse 20 on the wiring diagram) was blown. Also, I noticed that the cigarette lighter fuse was blown, but I never used it (used the accessory one for charging phones, etc). I put another fuse in, started the car, turned the fan on and *click* - IMMEDIATELY blew the fuse. Now I can't run the heater, and we're heading into the season where I'll need to defrost the windows.

No other fuses are blown, including the blower motor fan fuses.

Here's the strange thing - when the car is not started, but with the key running the accessories, the fans will work fine with a new fuse in the A/C IG slot. As soon as the car is started and idling, when you turn on the fans, the fuse immediately blows. It doesn't even attempt to run the fans.

I'm a little at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this. Would it be a bad fan switch, or something else? I don't understand why it would work when the car is "off", but then short out when the car is on and idling. Also - the other fuses are fine, including the cigarette lighter fuse. That must have been a coincidence.

Any help thinking through what's going on is appreciated. Thanks!
snkfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
snkfischer
Scooby Newbie

So more troubleshooting and several blown fuses later...

With a new fuse in and running the blower, it will work on all settings, except when I turn the left dial (which directs the air flow from feet, to chest, both, or front defogger, etc.) EXCEPT for the two most clockwise positions which engage the defogger (front windshield vents). When that setting is switched to, the fuse immediately blows.

What confuses me is that left switch has no electrical connections at all - just a cable (like a bicycle brake) that must be opening and closing vents/air paths. Is something being engaged electrically as well when the defogger / windshield setting is engaged?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

My thought is that the cable mechanism is contacting the power wires to the blower when you move it. Check out the cable mechanism and see if there are some wires getting interfered with.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
snkfischer
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice.

After spending a long night teaching myself electrical theory and how to read wiring diagrams, I'm thinking that the issue might be a potential short in the intake door actuator. I'm going to be taking the dash complete off tomorrow and take a look. Or, you could be complete correct and the wires might be shorting against the cable when it's moved.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If there is a switch being activated by the cable mechanism I could see what you say being a possibility. The switch could be turning power on to an area that has a short issue. If there is no switch involved then I could see the wiring is getting shorted by mechanism itself. Try disconnecting connectors you can get access at to see if the short goes away and help lead you to the trouble. You could use a brake light bulb in place of the fuse to limit the current to a safe level by soldering some wires to the bulb and a bad fuse. If the light gets real bright during the testing then the short is most likely still there.

Last edited by Cougar4; 10-16-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
snkfischer
Scooby Newbie

Found the issue. The A/C compressor bearings were shot (even when the magnetic clutch was disengaged. This caused the unit to get so hot that it fused the wire to the housing, causing a short. It also tore off the A/C compressor belt.

I discovered that when the defogger is engaged, it activates the A/C relay. When this happened, the fuse snapped due to the short on the compressor.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
XgT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102777

this might be the exact same problem i am trying to figure out, i will go check my sti right now. cougar4 has been awesome via pm in trying to figure this out with me
XgT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by XgT View Post
this might be the exact same problem i am trying to figure out, i will go check my sti right now. cougar4 has been awesome via pm in trying to figure this out with me
It very well could be the same issue causing your problem but even if isn't we'll find the little trouble maker.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
XgT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102777

so my problem with blowing the ac/ig fuse when ignition is on is still there, if anyone has any suggestions as what could be causing it please chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.
XgT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

It may help if you could post a picture of the fuse panel and point out which fuse position has the trouble on it. We seem seem to be looking in the wrong areas for the trouble.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Hando567
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153595
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
SGM

Duplicate reply deleted.

Last edited by Hando567; 03-02-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: delete duplicate reply.
Hando567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Hando567
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153595
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
SGM

This thread was extremely helpful for my 2008 Imprezza 2.5i. The A/C compressor started making a rattling noise yesterday, and then today when I turned the fan select to the front defroster the a/c IG fuse blew. I did not connect the problems until I read this thread. The fan works fine on all settings except defrost. Thank you all for sharing and saving me many hours of troubleshooting!
Hando567 is offline   Reply With Quote