Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday February 8, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
teck7droid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34412
Default my 03 wrx's electrical is going CRAZY

Hey friends, recently my wrx is been doing really strange things in regrards to its electrical system. It all started when a very good knowledgable friend installed Jdm headlights for me lets call my friend Mark. My car was oem boost guage and alarm

I took my friend to do a deal with a local guy (Joe). I paid him $300 plus my oem bugeyes. Joe insured mark and and I that he had run jdm headlights buy splicing the oem harness with out problems.

Mark my friend, followed joes instruction and the swap was sucessful. with in 30min both joe's and my car had working headlights. The only minor problem that the city light, to the right upper corner of the passanger side didnt turn on right away, i would have to drive the car a couple min so it will turn on. Mark and i figured it was because they simply used plastic fastiners to connect the wires. Regardless everything was fine and i was happy with the splice job.

A week later, i took my wrx to marks house so we can soilder everything splice. I did it in hope to fix that stubborn city light. He soilderd everything but he used alota soilder because he only had Thick guaged soilder. Everything worked the same, even the city light that had problems. Then i figured the bulb was going bad so it didnt bother me.

Everything worked fine for about 3months HERES WHEN THINGS GOT WEIRD
I noticed that as soon as i turned off my car, the red blinking SECURITY would flash on the dash cluster. This was weird because, before, red security would only flash once i armed my oem alarm. Another thing is that when arming or disarming the alarm, my city lights would flash and tail lights aswell. Now i get nothing...?

Heres the most annoying problem Extremely loud and constant relay clicking noises. Before, i would get a quiete relay noise when only engaing highbeams.
Now i get a relay CLICK thats extremely audioable, at least 3x louder then stock. I get it when putting my turn signal, turning on low beams, and seldomly when turning on the highbeams. Furthermore, when moving the light bar to the left of the steering wheel slighty forward, i mean barley moving it and not engageing the bar at all, the relays click really loud. and most of the time the low beams turn off and im left with out lights for a split sec untill i stop touching the column at all. Also, the low beams seems to flick off and on occasionally when using my turns signal and turning the wheel while driving at night.

Mark, re-did the soildering job, and used less soilder with a thiner guage of soilder. He told me that too much soildering would cause a Load, so he fixed that and the problems remained the same. We checked all of the fuses, they are all good.

Please help, what eles can i do to trouble shoot? If its the splicing job that causing the problem, why didnt it happen right away? oh another thing, the horn that connected to the passanger strut was left off and the wire melted onto to my helix dp melting the insulation. This happend after the problems arose.

What could be causing all this? How can i trouble shoot it. Could it be a bad faulty switch to the lights that causes this. The loud clicks come from the glove box when im driving and from the fuse box in the engine bay when i was standing outside. Please Help!
teck7droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

First, the "problem" with your alarm is simply that it's in valet mode. With the drivers door open, hold down the unlock button on the remote for a few seconds, this will cancel valet mode and return the alarm to normal operation.
Now, as far as your headlights are concerned, from what you have posted here it seems to me that Mark doesn't really know what he is doing and maybe Joe doesn't either. The amount of solder on the wires will have no effect on how things work, most likely the wiring is incorrect. The behavior of the city light is not normal and as for all the relay noises, I can't say what's going on but it doesn't sound good. There may be a problem with the light switch itself or something else. Also have you disabled the daytime running lights by disconnecting the main module by the glovebox? Not doing this can cause problems with modified headlights.
Finally, are these HID lights by any chance? If so there are other considerations beyond those for installing normal halogen lights.
I suggest you find someone who truly knows what they are doing and have them look at your car and straighten it out before any further damage is done.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
teck7droid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34412

I have not disabled the drl, i will look into doing that right away.
They are not HID

Is there any DIY splicing tuturiol where i know for sure which wires get attached properally. The thing is everything lighted up and worked fine for a while. Then chaos.

Should i buy a harness PnP?

another thing my radio turns on and off consecutivley and will not respont to any commands, i pressed every button. It sometimes get stuck on this mode where it turns on and off rapidly. Even if i take off the car, it doesnt fix. right not its good i think it has mood swings...
teck7droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Well definitely disable the DRLs. There are threads here that show and explain where the module is. Do NOT do the "quickie" under-hood method, this is not adequate with non-stock lights.
You could buy a harness, or make your own. You can get the mating 9007 connectors to plug into the factory connectors from www.rallylights.com , so you don't have to cut any of the factory wiring, assuming it's not already too late.
There are posts that discuss the installation of these lights, I don't have any links handy but if you search here, Scoobymods and I-club you should find what you need.
Don't know about the radio, if you have tried to reset it by completely disconnecting it and it's still b0rked it may just be shot.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote