Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
phunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 68227
Default EJ22 Turbo in a '90 Auto Wagon?

I am not sure if anyone can help me here or not...

I own a shop, and I DO NOT work on Subarus... i know little to nothing about them. At any rate, this car somehow ended up here.

I got a 1990 Wagon here, its and auto and originally a NA. The owner put in a turbo EJ22 engine, which he tells me is a USDM motor that was available in this car. I know nothing of Subaru trivia, so I am not sure how much is fact.

THe owner tells me he had a whole clip, and swapped the engine and absolutely everything else such as MAF sensor, etc. He says he swapped the wiring harness, and put in the turbo ECU. The original Auto trans remains.

So here is how it came to me... it doesnt start... just cranks and cranks. Its got fuel and spark. If we put back in what he says is the stock NA ECU it runs, but just barely and dies suddenly. On what is supposedly the turbo ECU, it appears to be flooding. Anyone know how I can tell the ECUs apart?

So at any rate, I just wanted to see if there is anything I should know about this before I start screwing around with it. I wonder if he got the ECUs mixed up and its actually the Turbo one that it barely runs on and possibly has some other stuff hooked up wrong... I have no idea what is different between the engines... Ignitor? Fuel Injectors? MAF? What is different between the two, and is this swap something that is commonly done?

I am not sure I even want to screw with this thing... but if any of you have some helpful suggestions so I can give this fellow back a car that runs without a $2000 bill for wiring and diagnostics... that would be nice.

Or, if any of you are in the Chicago area and feel up to the task, feel free to take this thing off my hands and make yourself some cash... I honestly have little to no desire to learn my way around this car or Subarus. No offense, I love the 2.5RS and later gens.... but I have my own niche that I work in.

Thanks,
Charles
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #2
happyparrot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 61896
Vehicle:
1998 2.5rs S/C
RBP

Seems to me like he messed up the wiring for the CPS. (crank position sensor)... Atleast thats where I would start to look for the problem after I checked the spark timing, and fuel pressure. Check the injectors for pulse width, if you don't have any then you can assume its the CPS, if that checks out and you still have no pulse width, then just send him to a different shop.
happyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
phunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 68227

thanks for your time.

I dont beleive that he wired anything... he said it all plugged in. I havent gone over any of the wiring yet.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

I'd suggest going over to www.bbs.legacycentral.org

You're going to have better luck since it's devoted solely to the first gen legacies.

Do you have part #'s off the ECU's? If so, I can tell you which is which. Also, I'd suggest pulling the codes from the ECU. See if there is a sensor that is possibly causing this, or if it's more of a mechanical problem. Instructions and info is on my site www.surrealmirage.com/subaru

Josh
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote