Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default Who's the Daddy for OBDII: Autoenginuity vs AutoXray

I'm trying to decide which one to purchase. Autoenginuity is a little cheaper (compared to AutoXray2000) but I cannot tell a huge difference between them. My biggest issue is finding a tool that not only clears codes but automatically resets "readiness" . . . so I quit failing inspections . . . three so far.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

I'm partial to AutoXray myself, I've owned several and now have the EZ-Scan 6000 which is a great unit.
However what you want to do is impossible, due to the OBDII standard itself. By design, when you clear codes with the "clear codes" function on a scanner the readiness test status is automatically reset to "not ready" and the tests must complete their cycle again. This is a function of the OBDII coding in the ECU and not controlled by the scanner.
If you have to pass an OBDII scan for inspection, you must go to the test with no codes stored, no CEL, and completed readiness tests. There is no way around this.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
I'm partial to AutoXray myself, I've owned several and now have the EZ-Scan 6000 which is a great unit.
However what you want to do is impossible, due to the OBDII standard itself. By design, when you clear codes with the "clear codes" function on a scanner the readiness test status is automatically reset to "not ready" and the tests must complete their cycle again. This is a function of the OBDII coding in the ECU and not controlled by the scanner.
If you have to pass an OBDII scan for inspection, you must go to the test with no codes stored, no CEL, and completed readiness tests. There is no way around this.
Yeah, I was worried about that possibility. I basically have to get the front and rear CEL fixes and then go up to Altered Atmosphere to have them tinker with my FCON Pro. SP Engineering (Alex Chen) did the original setup which never gets an A/F over 12.1 and dips below 11:1 3500-4500 @1.3. On the B setting (1.0) it runs a tabletop flat 12 but I imagine that might still be too rich for the ECU.
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
OneOBS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63076
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Caulifornia
Vehicle:
2004 Outback Sport
Red!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
I'm partial to AutoXray myself, I've owned several and now have the EZ-Scan 6000 which is a great unit.
Also pretty pricey. Any of the other models worth buying? What's the difference between an EZ-Scan and an EZ-Read model?
OneOBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Yes it is pretty pricey. I only got the 6000 because I had an older EZ-Link unit and they offered a very attractive trade-in deal, I wouldn't have gone for it at full price. For most users the less expensive EZ-Scan models offer most of the important features for less money and are upgradeable.
The EZ-Read units do not have the live-data monitoring and capture capabilities of the EZ-Scan models. I don't know if this can be added via upgrade or not, but basically the EZ-Read is intended for code reading and clearing only, if you need the additional features you need to look further up the product line.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Chris N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5322
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
07im +07Leg+00Forest
Scooby wrench turner

Default

Good explanation Mulder.

Doc,

I use the KAL OBD II Scanner at work a lot. It reads streaming data, in a slow way, but its good for lookin at voltages of the O2 sensors and MAF ect. Reads codes, reads pending codes, erases, reads Readiness, and some other stuff I don't use. It was $375 3 years ago, its now a little cheaper. Snap-on and Mac have similar scan tools.
We have a cheaper unit Napa sells for like $99, but it doesn't do squat with streaming data, its just a reader, eraser, readiness reader.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Explain, EXACTLY, what has been done to your car that is affecting your OBDII codes/readieness. What are the codes???

The OBDII scan should be very simple to beat if you have all your sensors functioning properly.....it's the tailpipe test that is a bit harder to beat.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
Explain, EXACTLY, what has been done to your car that is affecting your OBDII codes/readieness. What are the codes???

The OBDII scan should be very simple to beat if you have all your sensors functioning properly.....it's the tailpipe test that is a bit harder to beat.
I have catless up (HKS) and downpipes (Helix) so all I have left is the midpipe cat running back to my Borla. I believe that's causing the P0546 code (high EGT).

My FCON Pro is running a rich mixture (described earlier in the thread). That would account for the P0172. Granted, maybe all I really need to do is to allow the Blitz BOV to recirculate instead of venting to atmosphere. At least that's what the Subie dealer mechanic suggested . . . along with the preset rich A/F of the FCON.

The last code is P0244 (wastegate solenoid malfunction).

One cat should be enough to pass emissions but NO ONE will inspect my car as long as codes pop up. Autozone took care of my codes last time, but out of 11 readiness monitors only four were completed. Heated Catalyst, A/C System, Secondary System, and EGR were "Not Available." Catalyst, Evaporative System, and O2 sensor were "Not Completed."
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBabyDoc
I have catless up (HKS) and downpipes (Helix) so all I have left is the midpipe cat running back to my Borla. I believe that's causing the P0546 code (high EGT).
Do the '2.2k resistor' mod to fix this.

Quote:
My FCON Pro is running a rich mixture (described earlier in the thread). That would account for the P0172. Granted, maybe all I really need to do is to allow the Blitz BOV to recirculate instead of venting to atmosphere. At least that's what the Subie dealer mechanic suggested . . . along with the preset rich A/F of the FCON.

The last code is P0244 (wastegate solenoid malfunction).
Dump the FCON all-together, and put the stock BPV back on.

Quote:
One cat should be enough to pass emissions but NO ONE will inspect my car as long as codes pop up. Autozone took care of my codes last time, but out of 11 readiness monitors only four were completed. Heated Catalyst, A/C System, Secondary System, and EGR were "Not Available." Catalyst, Evaporative System, and O2 sensor were "Not Completed."
And do the 'mechanical fix' for the o2 sensor...JUST the rear one!!!!!!
Do NO mod of any kind to the front o2 sensor.


ALL that should come real close to making it pass.....and it 'aint anything to do with mixture.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default

Thnx for the advice but since I'm running a VF34, STi pinks, and Walbro . . . dumping the FCON isn't much of an option. My car was tuned by SP Engineering in May 2004.

The Blitz BOV is already setup to recirculate (according to the Subie mechanic) but the outlet is blocked so instead it vents to atmosphere. Once corrected it should function just like the stock BPV.
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

....then ya 'aint passin' emissions, no way, no how....sorry, but what you have done is a prime example of what NOT to do if emissions laws in your area dictate a check....FCON isn't real engine management, anyway.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
....then ya 'aint passin' emissions, no way, no how....sorry, but what you have done is a prime example of what NOT to do if emissions laws in your area dictate a check....FCON isn't real engine management, anyway.
Well, it's a buyer beware story. I purchased the car from SoCal but I live in NC. There's little doubt that it will PASS emissions since it still has a cat. I just have to get a different low range map on the FCON that isn't so rich. But thnx for the useful advice
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

It will NEVER pass ANY OBDII test if you have ANY pending or failed codes and the ONLY way to get THAT is ditch the FCON, and 'fix' what is causing the codes.
Your mixture has NOTHING to do with this, never has and never will, and having a cat is irrelevant to the OBDII if properly 'fixed'.

I don't think you have a grasp of what is really going on with your car and why it is doing(or NOT doing) what it is.
I'm sorry if this makes no sense to you, but what I have told you is the truth.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #14
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

methinks finding a friendly inspection shop is your best bet.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
CrazyBabyDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75686
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
It will NEVER pass ANY OBDII test if you have ANY pending or failed codes and the ONLY way to get THAT is ditch the FCON, and 'fix' what is causing the codes.
Your mixture has NOTHING to do with this, never has and never will, and having a cat is irrelevant to the OBDII if properly 'fixed'.

I don't think you have a grasp of what is really going on with your car and why it is doing(or NOT doing) what it is.
I'm sorry if this makes no sense to you, but what I have told you is the truth.
Resistor mod took care of the P0546. I stopped using the high boost setting on the HKS EVC so no more P0244. Altered Atmosphere remapped my FCON V Pro (making 291whp@1bar) and the Blitz is now set to recirculate.

ALL CEL's gone and car passed OBDII. Thanks to the helpful . . . sorta thanks to the not so helpful.
CrazyBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #16
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

WoW, what a hassle to pass emissions.....and all that is STILL not real engine management.

How long does the ECU take to learn around all that???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In the market for WRX 08 vs 09 Taikonaut Newbies & FAQs 27 06-02-2009 01:19 PM
Who's the Mod for this Forum? williaty Open Source Reflashes 2 01-09-2008 12:27 AM
Who's the daddy? Spheris Off-Topic 7 05-22-2007 07:30 AM
Who's your daddy? The Anna Nicole Saga whoosh Off-Topic 3 02-17-2007 10:26 PM
The Battle for California: North vs. South event plans.... MPREZYA Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 7 03-27-2000 01:14 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.