Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid West Subaru Owners Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-31-2000, 11:13 PM   #1
Brian Mayfield
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1572
Post Any one in IA

I live in Cedar Rapids, I went and took my first test drive in an RS on saturday. I am definatly in love. If there is any one in Iowa reading this, could you tell me what dealer you bout your RS from and any good or bad experiences? Or if any ones got tips for a new RS owner that you think I could use. I can't wait till I can get my own RS.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Brian Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 06:01 PM   #2
Black98RS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 786
Brian,

I purchased my Subaru at Jim Miller in Cedar Rapids. (I live in West Branch now, grew up running around in CR, though.) The dealers are ok, but the guys that work in service are kind of "unprofessional" if you ask me. Case in point: First time I got my RS serviced there under warranty they only had to hook up a wire inside and left some inside trim hanging loose, really annoying. Another time they only latched the hood one notch and I didn't notice until I got onto 380 south and watched it bounce up and down. I had to pull over and latch it properly. That kind of pissed me off. Not always the nicest bunch of guys either. Needless to say I am not getting my car serviced there again, free loaner or no. My RS just hit 30k miles and it is now going to Lujacks (Davenport) next week for it's 30k service. Lujacks 30k service is cheaper than Jim Miller's (even with me renting a car for a day) and they do more to boot!

I think I got kind of lucky when I bought my RS. It was at the end of the model year (end of summer) and I got $2000 off MSRP becasue of a Subaru "sale", so I only paid $18,195 for my RS (with cruise and floor mats being the only options). I have coupe by the way, only thing available in 98.

I really got screwed on the trade in though. I traded in my 89 Pathfinder there and came up $4000 upside down on the loan, so I had to borrow over $22,000 to actually buy the car.

I don't regret it though. Even if I was 4 grand upside down on the loan. I used to own a 93 Probe GT (also had 165hp) and that car was fun, but sucked in the snow, rain and other low traction conditions. The scooby is good on wet, dry, icey and snowy. It is truly the most fun car I have ever owned. If you think you are in love now, wait 'til you get to play in the mud, snow, ice, rain, dirt...you get the picture...it's a hell of car to own. Wouldn't believe the looks you get from people on the road either. LOL

Enough of me yaking. As far as tips I don't really know a whole lot. Depends on what you want to do with your RS (Daily Driver, autoX, rally, street car) Don't over estimate AWD, though. Helps a hell of a lot and makes the car fun to drive, but the a## end will come out in slick conditions if you don't watch it. I learn more about AWD the more I drive my RS. It is loads, loads better than a regular front driver, for sure, but will not make you superman.

One more thing: Read this board every day...I have learned alot since I have been on here. Kinda addicted.
Black98RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 06:04 PM   #3
Black98RS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 786
Btw,

A quote from above: Not the nicest bunch of guys, either.

should be: Not the nicest bunch of guys, either.

Just wanted you to know what I meant.
Black98RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2000, 03:57 PM   #4
Brian Mayfield
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1572
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. It should be vary helpful
Brian Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote