Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
RyaNCSU1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52443
Default Autometer Ultra Lite AFR Gauge

Will this band gauge work on an 04 STi? Basically I got it installed and it lights one LED at full rich while the rest move around in the lean area.

Is it possible I have it hooked to the low side wire on the O2 sensor, or that the connection isnt good enough, since I only used a solderless connecter to splice into the O2 sensor.

Any help is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RyaNCSU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The "tap-in" type A/F gauges are worthless, especially on the turbo cars where you have to tap into the rear 02 sensor which is both narrowband and behind the cats. If you want useful A/F readings you have to spring for some $ and buy a gauge with its own dedicated wideband sensor. What you have now is a light show, nothing more.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
RyaNCSU1
Scooby Newbie

What would you recommend then?

Right now the O2 sensor its tapped into is in front of the cats just behind the turbo.

Is this O2 sensor narrowband?

What is the real difference between narrowband and wideband?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyaNCSU1
Right now the O2 sensor its tapped into is in front of the cats just behind the turbo.
Ok, this is very, very bad. Undo your wiring NOW and put it back the way it was, it should really be soldered rather than using quick-connects. If you're lucky the sensor wiring isn't damaged to the point where you will need a new 02. Because of the extreme heat in that area whatever you do to splice it back together may not hold up and you may have no choice but to spring for a new sensor, unfortunately they are about $200+.
Where did you see instructions to use the front sensor? If you'd done some reading around here beforehand you would have found plenty of threads with instructions on installing these gauges, showing the connection to the rear 02.
A narrowband sensor is only accurate right at or around stoichiometric A/F of 14.7:1, and is not useful for other A/F measurements. Its purpose is to provide a rich/lean signal to the ECU, or in the case of the rear sensor to monitor the condition of the catalyst.
A wideband sensor is accurate across a range of A/F ratios. The type of wideband used in the WRX and STi is not a "full" wideband and you cannot tap into it for a gauge. By attempting to tap this sensor you are adversely affecting its readings to the ECU which will make the car run poorly and eventually set a CEL. If you remove the wiring you added and still get a CEL for the front 02, you will know that the sensor wiring has been irreparably damaged.
What I recommend is that you do not use this gauge, and if you really need to monitor A/F shop around for a true wideband setup.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
RyaNCSU1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info. The way I spliced it in is unlikely to do any damage. I.E. not actually cutting the wire and instead using on of those connecters that literally taps into it. Thus far I have no had CEL likght come on however ive only driven it about a mile since installation.

I will remove it from that sensor and tap it into the rear one and see what kind of results i get.

With a gauge that has its own wideband sensor where in the exhaust is it mounted? Mine is currently stock back to the cat so there is no place to weld a bung on to mount a sensor.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The "vampire" type tap you used, while it does not require cutting the wire, is not reliable for this kind of use. These should only be used for non-critical applications and never where the connection will be exposed to weather or extreme temperature conditions. When you crimp one of these onto the wire being tapped it does do some damage by nicking or cutting some of the wire strands. When you remove the tap you may see damaged strands, at the very least there will be exposed wire which you should be sure to fully insulate with high-temperature electrical tape.
For recommendations on wideband setups and sensor locations, do some reading in the powertrain and engine management forums.
If you only drove the car a mile it probably never went into closed loop so the ECU wouldn't have been using the sensor. If you drove it long enough there is a good chance you would have gotten a CEL.