Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
othon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18440
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon STG 2
big things coming...

Default "Going back in time?".............

So I bought a 2004 Subaru WRX wagon, up till 12,000 miles I was using Castrol GTX 5W 30. Then switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W 30, after the first due date to change the Mobil 1 I noticed that the boxer motor had burned some oil. So I picked up some Mobil 1 15W 50 and when it was time to change that oil, I noticed it had burnt through some of that as well.

I did some research on some Subaru forums and noticed people (okay a lot of people talking about this) saying that when they switched to synthetic that they noticed the car burning oil.
Now other people that are still using regular dino oil are not noticing this problem.

So Iím going back to Dino oil, Castrol 20W 50 (I live in a hot area and like to run up and down the mountains around my area in southern California.)

What I would like to know which Iíve been having problems finding a definitive answer isÖÖ

"When I switch back to normal oil after using synthetic, should I run normal oil in the car for a few miles then drain that and add in the normal oil Iím going to keep till the next scheduled time? Or dose it not matter, cause some motor builders have told me that it dose help to do this because of the two oil's make up."

Just wanted to know what other people know about this and what they think.
Or if my A$$ became a chimney.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
othon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Read the Oil FAQ. Use OEM recommended weight oil. Choose regular or synthetic. Stick with regular or synthetic or switch willy-nilly as it doesn't matter.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
BryanH
Scooby Guru

Member#: 993
Chapter/Region: MAIC

I noticed oil loss on Mobil1...so I switched to Castrol Syntech and no more oil loss...
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
othon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18440
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon STG 2
big things coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH
I noticed oil loss on Mobil1...so I switched to Castrol Syntech and no more oil loss...
good to know cause the more i read about people saying (after they have delt with issues,) that there mostly running "CASTROL" products and are happy with the resaults of using Castrol.

Even more intresting fact is that i had a 2002 2.5 RS before my 04 WRX wagon
and i switched to Mobil 1 around 7000 miles and around 20000 i had a new short block replacement after 40% leak down on 2 sets of rings.

Also I wasnt having any noticiable oil loss till I switched to Mobil 1 again on my WRX which i should have learned from my earlier run in with Mobil 1.

heh!
othon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Psydotek
Scooby Guru

Member#: 44168
Vehicle:
2003 Yellow WRX
with too many lights...

I change my oil every 5k mailes, mostly freeway daily driving with 30-40% slow and go. I use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 (so cali here). It usually seems i burn off maybe 1/4 a quart by the time i'm ready to change oil.
Psydotek is offline   Reply With Quote