Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
STI05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76649
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
08 Z06
Victory Yellow

Default Have to see the BAR Referee & have some questions

I just got pulled over last week - the story is further down below. But my question: Does the Bar Referee give you a sticker or something when you pass so when another cop pulls you over - you can tell him that you already been there and it passed? Or is this a State run scam where they send anyone and everyone with a catback exhaust to the referee to pay the same fine - or worse - catch you driving your car before you go to the ref and get it impounded!?! What's the deal?

Also, is an aftermarket BOV illegal? The cop stated all of them are illegal. If so, wish I would've known that before the DEALER INSTALLED IT!!! I know the exhaust is legal - so no worries there.


The story: a cycle cop pulled me over - was asking lots of questions about my exhaust. Sounds like this guy had the same class as the cop(s) that nabbed some of you. I have the HKS Carbon/Ti on an '05 STi - and I have the greddy type-s BOV (gotta a killer deal and thought it looked cool) - and the Defi Bf gages and Gruppe-s gage pod (carbon). Anyhow - he gave me the same story -"I went to school for this and I know that exhaust is illegal." I explained it was a catback that meets the 95db rating - he said "a whaaaattt?" (Really low volume and drawn out - kind of like a southern drawl) Then he asked me to pop the hood (not knowing what the laws are in this area - just moved here recently - I popped it) But the local dealership installed all these items so I assumed they were all legal, anyway.

Short version of what happened next: He didn't believe nothing else was modded. I even showed him where to point his flashlight to look at the first cat on the dp. He didn't believe me!!! (What should one expect from a guy who rides motorcycles all day?)

So now I can't drive the car - until I get a pass from the BAR Referee. What's worse is that he said they can keep pulling you over for the same equipment and make you pay the fee!!! It's all up to the officer! That doesn't right to me. There must be some kind of sticker that I will get from the ref and show the next boob that has nothing better to do to put a stop to the harassment. Any one know?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
STI05 is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
MPREZYA
SCIC
Moderator
 
Member#: 85
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: www.themonkeystrunk.com
Default

You can drive the car just don't act like an ass and get pulled over again or you'll be screwed again. What was the Vehicle Code he cited you on (I'll guess it's modified emissions)? The typical one is 27151 (iirc) which means he cited you for modified emissions which means that you'll need to swap your BOV and everything else should be fine though while you are there you could ask about wether swapping the BOV with another recirculating style BOV is okay. I would assume so since you aren't tampering with any sensors or vaccum lines. If you search you'll find plenty of good info in this forum about what to expect.

If he cited you for excessive noise from the exhaust then you can get it tested for noise compliance for like $10.
MPREZYA is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
LargeOrangeFont
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28475
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
86 RX-7, 07 Yaris,
2010 CTS-V

Default

All BOVs are illegal, Catbacks that aren't CARB certified are illegal (Greddy is one I know for sure is legal Tenabe might be).

Anything that is not CARB certified is illegal. 99% of all mods we all do to Subarus are illegal in the eyes of the law. This includes aftermarket intakes, turbobacks, turbos, engine managment, manifolds, injectors, catbacks, intercooler hoses, intercoolers and whatever else you want to do.

Get a stock bypass valve, a stock catback, and go do the test. You will pass, and you can replace your mods then.

Drive carefully, and w\ some luck you'll never be sent back to the referee.

Ashley
LargeOrangeFont is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
MPREZYA
SCIC
Moderator
 
Member#: 85
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: www.themonkeystrunk.com
Default

Ashley catbacks are not illegal. Turboback's are. CARB doesn't certify cat back exhausts because you are not altering any emissions equipment or sensors which are a big no no according to CARB. Open element air intakes need to be CARB approved along with most any other piece. They send you to the ref because the Ref will know for certain if something is legal or illegal. This is why you see everyone getting these tickets.
MPREZYA is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
STI05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76649
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
08 Z06
Victory Yellow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZYA
You can drive the car just don't act like an ass and get pulled over again or you'll be screwed again. What was the Vehicle Code he cited you on (I'll guess it's modified emissions)? The typical one is 27151 (iirc) which means he cited you for modified emissions which means that you'll need to swap your BOV and everything else should be fine though while you are there you could ask about wether swapping the BOV with another recirculating style BOV is okay. I would assume so since you aren't tampering with any sensors or vaccum lines. If you search you'll find plenty of good info in this forum about what to expect.

If he cited you for excessive noise from the exhaust then you can get it tested for noise compliance for like $10.
He cited me for 27156(b).
The greddy is set for recirc - but I think its not legal because its adjustable.
STI05 is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
STI05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76649
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
08 Z06
Victory Yellow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZYA
Ashley catbacks are not illegal. Turboback's are. CARB doesn't certify cat back exhausts because you are not altering any emissions equipment or sensors which are a big no no according to CARB. Open element air intakes need to be CARB approved along with most any other piece. They send you to the ref because the Ref will know for certain if something is legal or illegal. This is why you see everyone getting these tickets.
I was thinking that also. I checked out SEMA extensively - lots of legislation happening that may pass and make our lives even more hellish!
But I can't find any data on what to expect afterwards - do I get a sticker, so I keep getting ticketed - I mean the cop pulled me over for the exhaust - nothing else.
STI05 is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
LargeOrangeFont
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28475
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
86 RX-7, 07 Yaris,
2010 CTS-V

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZYA
Ashley catbacks are not illegal. Turboback's are. CARB doesn't certify cat back exhausts because you are not altering any emissions equipment or sensors which are a big no no according to CARB. Open element air intakes need to be CARB approved along with most any other piece. They send you to the ref because the Ref will know for certain if something is legal or illegal. This is why you see everyone getting these tickets.
True, but catbacks are subjected to noise regulations. I should have made that more clear, as that is what I meant to say. Greddy catbacks come w\ the certification paper that states that they are lower than the 95db. Without such a certificate, a cop can give you as many exhaust tickets as they want. They can send you to the referee for that as well I believe.

Ashley
LargeOrangeFont is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
LargeOrangeFont
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28475
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
86 RX-7, 07 Yaris,
2010 CTS-V

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI05
I was thinking that also. I checked out SEMA extensively - lots of legislation happening that may pass and make our lives even more hellish!
But I can't find any data on what to expect afterwards - do I get a sticker, so I keep getting ticketed - I mean the cop pulled me over for the exhaust - nothing else.
You keep getting ticketed, and have to fight it each time. You will win, but its just a waste of time.

Ashley
LargeOrangeFont is offline  
Old 01-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
SMZ GSR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71317
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Corona, CA
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru WRX
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default

Yes you will get a sticker from the ref. When I got ticketed for emissions and exhaust I went to the ref. Exhaust noise test is free and my Apexi N1 passed. So I got a sticker on my ticket as well as a printout showing details of my car and the exhaust stating what model it is and showing the exact dB level.

Depending on the ref, they could be MAJOR ********. AVOID Fullerton like the plague. That guy is the biggest prick I've ever met in my life. He failed me so many times (even with stock parts ) that I had to get multiple extensions from the court. Luckily since I did, I finally went to court (2 months after original date, and still no emissions certificate) and cop didn't show up so I didn't have to pay squat
SMZ GSR is offline  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
STI05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76649
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
08 Z06
Victory Yellow

Default Any suggestions on websites to buy silencer for HKS?

I have data from HKS on that exhaust sertifying that it meets noise requirements - I'll bring that. But to avoid hassles in the future - I'll need a silencer. Suggestions?
STI05 is offline  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 AM   #11
ScooByMoDee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78259
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
05 WRX STi
CGM

Default

...i just ordered a silencer for my Carbon Ti...hopefully it will help deter some unwanted attn...sort of hard having an aftermarket exhaust though...

...bottomline if a cop wants to get you they will...just the way the cookie crumbles...personally I would prefer to have printouts w/the stated aftermarket parts so if we are ever pulled over we could show them that we are legit and avoid needless courttime and hassles...I know, I know, I am dreaming

Laterz
Lewis
ScooByMoDee is offline  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
STI05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76649
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
08 Z06
Victory Yellow

Default It Gets Worse!!!

So I went to see the Ref. To say the least - they make it CLEAR they are not there to be friendly. Now that's a business where customer service is frowned upon!!

Long story short - exhaust not an issue at all - he did get me on the BOV - which I expected an will be swapping out this weekend when I get time.

But get this - he also cited me on my DEFI BF BOOST GAGE!!!! Because it was teed into the BOV vacuum line!!! That's where they do it from the factory!!!! I told him and he stated - if it's not a factory gage - it's illegal!!! Then I asked him "are there any other gages that are legal to hook up that way?" He said it has to be ARB certified (not CARB - but just ARB).

Does anyone know what the hell he is talking about? I called the Subie dealer and explained to them the situation - they outright couldn't believe it. They're going to give me a copy of the Suby manual stating how to install the gages and they're going to sign it so I can carry it in my car. But it still doesn't fix the issue with the gage.

I know what to do next - but damn!!! - thought you might find that interesting.
STI05 is offline  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 PM   #13
mrazntre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30156
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: sfVoltron garage in LA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sportwagon
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI05
So I went to see the Ref. To say the least - they make it CLEAR they are not there to be friendly. Now that's a business where customer service is frowned upon!!

Long story short - exhaust not an issue at all - he did get me on the BOV - which I expected an will be swapping out this weekend when I get time.

But get this - he also cited me on my DEFI BF BOOST GAGE!!!! Because it was teed into the BOV vacuum line!!! That's where they do it from the factory!!!! I told him and he stated - if it's not a factory gage - it's illegal!!! Then I asked him "are there any other gages that are legal to hook up that way?" He said it has to be ARB certified (not CARB - but just ARB).

Does anyone know what the hell he is talking about? I called the Subie dealer and explained to them the situation - they outright couldn't believe it. They're going to give me a copy of the Suby manual stating how to install the gages and they're going to sign it so I can carry it in my car. But it still doesn't fix the issue with the gage.

I know what to do next - but damn!!! - thought you might find that interesting.
that's messed up. cops are fricking azwholes.
mrazntre is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
22psiSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211423
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: orange county
Vehicle:
2005 PSM STI
Corn fed

Default

avoid goldenwest at all cost as well. Got failed today for not showing proper paperwork from subaru that my 05 sti does not have a cat in my stock up-pipe.
22psiSTI is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
grippy monkey
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131067
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Inglewood!
Vehicle:
your "stance"
sucks

Default

^ nice thread bump from 2005 haha
grippy monkey is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
BazeenerSTi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234198
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC
Vehicle:
04 JBP STi
COBB Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZYA View Post
If he cited you for excessive noise from the exhaust then you can get it tested for noise compliance for like $10.
Where can you get this test done?
BazeenerSTi is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
jdmimpreza
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10644
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Chino Hills
Vehicle:
2001 impreza
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default

Contact BAR for testing only, they will refer you to the nearest location closest to you


Yay people are doing searches
jdmimpreza is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #18
JustAnotherSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 185224
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: City of Rapture
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
Wicked White

Default

You can go to Fullerton Community College and have your car decibel tested. You have to set and appointment up, call Fullerton CC and ask them for the CHP office, and they will direct you there. Hope this helps.
JustAnotherSubie is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever pretend to have change for someone just to see the optimism then the depression? -Kevlar- Off-Topic 14 12-02-2007 04:15 PM
I have no desire to see the Saddam video. gongzero Off-Topic 33 12-30-2006 11:30 PM
What's having to put items in your shopping cart to see the price? catass Off-Topic 17 12-15-2005 12:54 PM
Come to NC Subaru to see the Tribeca B9 & three WRX STI Rally Cars! akuhner Tri-State Area Forum 5 05-11-2005 05:10 PM
Phoenix get together Saturday to see The Italian Job, get some pizza, and hang out! Fyxtion South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 18 06-02-2003 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.