Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
grundig5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34871
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

Default PLease help me fix my headlights

bought some jdm hids, have already converted them to a flat cutoff pattern. Wired everything today and it works like a charm but I managed to
A) strip both horizontal adjustment screws
B) cant adjust vertically for the life of me and was flashed by oncoming traffic the instant i pulled onto the street. they are aimed far too high

I am not as concerned with problem A as I am with B. I have read all threads on here about adjusting the bottom white hex screw with an 8mm 1/4" wratchet and I have done that. IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING. I turned it probably 100 times and the height was the same. I tried it both ways, on both lights, in differing amounts and the lights were still at the same height. Is there any way I could have broken something whilst they were completely disassembled? I know the ball thing is clicked into that cap but does that even matter? Everything went so smoothly too...thanks for any help
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
grundig5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:33 AM   #2
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundig5
bought some jdm hids, have already converted them to a flat cutoff pattern. Wired everything today and it works like a charm but I managed to
A) strip both horizontal adjustment screws
B) cant adjust vertically for the life of me and was flashed by oncoming traffic the instant i pulled onto the street. they are aimed far too high

I am not as concerned with problem A as I am with B. I have read all threads on here about adjusting the bottom white hex screw with an 8mm 1/4" wratchet and I have done that. IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING. I turned it probably 100 times and the height was the same. I tried it both ways, on both lights, in differing amounts and the lights were still at the same height. Is there any way I could have broken something whilst they were completely disassembled? I know the ball thing is clicked into that cap but does that even matter? Everything went so smoothly too...thanks for any help
the problem is that in filing them off to flat cutoff, you are effectively RAISING the beam.

What you need to do is take them apart again, and shim the cutoff-baffle up so that it puts the cutoff in the spot where it needs to be.

Then, you'll find that your adjusters are in the range they need to be.

Use washers that are equal in thickness to the amount of material you cut off to shim it up. The washers go between the baffle plate and what it mounts to - getting the screw in is tricky but i'm sure you can figure it out.

Also, when you say you stripped the adjuster, do you mean internally or just the phillips part or the hex nut part? what exactly is stripped?
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
grundig5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

Ok, that makes sense but sucks. Wow thanks a lot! I stripped the manual adjustment hex on the back of the light. I can still turn it slightly with a wrench but I am going to try to fix that when the lights come out today.
Josh
Old 01-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
grundig5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

wait...since that plate (or baffle) is mounted to the bottom of the projector assembly, wouldnt shimming it effectively make it worse? If you put washers between the mount and the baffle I think it would make the baffle go even lower and therefore block less light. Maybe i am wrong???
Old 01-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
grundig5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

Here is a pic (from scoobymods, i hope thats ok)...

You can easily see where the mask mounts...my question is where would I try to shim that mount? Since it mounts underneath the assembly, the only place a washer could go is between the mask plate and the mount which would only make the mask lower allowing more light through and raising the cutoff even more. Am i missing something? My only other thought is that there are 4 screws holding the projector assembly together, so could i place washers behind the top 2 screws which would tilt the assembly down a bit?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
grundig5
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

well i opened one up just now and found that i had tightened the adjustment pivot down too tightly not allowing it to move. I tried the light out after looseing that and it is still kind of high but much better. I still need to get it lower because it is maxed out as far as lowering it with the screw