Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 2, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
whitegdwagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76058
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
white

Default Rough idling when fan is on

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I saw electrical so I figure I can try.

I get very rough idling when the fan is turn on. I am talking about the fan switch in the cabin not the automatic radiator fan. The RPM gauge don't move but the oem boost (lamco) gauge goes back and forth. As the needle for the boost gauge gets closer to 0 the car sounds and feels like it's gonna die.

This just happened recently and did not happen before. I checked the vacuum lines to see if anything came loose but did not see anything. I had a mechanic check the vacuum lines and everything seems fine. I am running stock BOV not after market. Funny thing is that when the fan for the radiator comes on it does the same thing but definitely not as rough. But I experience that before.

Can someone help me?

The car is modded-mildly. I have a VF34, bosal downpipe, stock mid-pipe, greddy evo cat-back and GTSPEC GEN II manifold. Also the TXS UTEC.

I thought it might be the utec acting up so I switch it to "0" and it still is doing the same thing. I am at a lost. My friend who is a mechanic at a subaru dealer says that if you have a cat-back and has CEL then they will not be able to find out what exactly it is.

Someone please help.

BTW, the car did die twice while idling
whitegdwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

...is the AC on...???
Or is the defrost/defog on????
If so, THAT is what is happening.....with the defrost/defog on, the AC compressor is on and it makes the idle a bit rough....

...and you very likely have a leak....the turbo inlet may be cracked/melting or you have an IC hose leaking a bit.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
whitegdwagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76058
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
white

the AC was not ON nor the defroster. just the fan.

i thought it might be vacuum leak but i can not find anything and neither can the subaru dealer

any other idea?
whitegdwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

....keep looking....if all else fails....take it apart and put it back together one hose at a time until you find/fix it...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote