Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Legacy
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 10188
Vehicle:
2007 Forester XT

Default Help with choices 98-01 Legacy/Forester swap to EJ20/EJ25T

Yes, another person with the "swap" bug. I'm looking for input on which combination would best suit my needs and make me happy in the long run. I've done the reading and searches here and have educated questions. What I want out of the car :

1) Maximum reliability. This is a daily driver and will be used on long trips as well.

2) Occasional auto-x event ( will not drag race the car, well maybe once to benchmark it )

3) As close to stock looking as possible.

4) Decent fuel mileage, this includes highway mileage so a 4.44 gear is certainly out

5) Must past clean air inspections. Need to have working 02 sensor, cat etc...

6) No JDM parts. If something breaks I want ot be able to walk into any Subie dealer/salvage yard and order part X. So no V4's etc

7) No turbo kits on existing 2.5, simply not interested at all.

Options :

1) Bodystyle

- 1st gen Forester
- 97 to 01 Legacy sedan /wagon - Leaning towards a wagon

2) Motor

- EJ20
- EJ25T (Forester or Legacy GT)

3) Electronics

- Complete wire swap for OEM look
- Standalone management, much cheaper for install, supposed to be just as effective

4) Transmission

- Stay with stock 5sp
- Swap WRX/Forester/05 LegacyGT

I will perform 0% of the swap myself. I won't even pretend to be mechanically inclined. I'd be happy to know how to change brake pads. The car will go to a local shop with lots of experience and a good reputation for sucessfull swaps. WRX setups are easily found however I would really like a EJ25T but they're rather hard to find and probably cost more. STi swap is out simply due to cost. I'm not going to rag on the car so I don't feel any need for the 6sp tranny.

I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, it will eventualy become a second car and hopefully be run until it gets rusty. Price is somewhat a factor, I don't see the point in spending any more than a used WRX wagon costs.

Ideally I'd like to find an '01 Legacy GT wagon with a blown headgasket "read - cheap" Swap in an EJ20 or 25T

- Is the 3.90 going to provide decent enough acceleration or should I step up to a 4.10 ? Again, I do want reasonble fuel mileage on long trips and don't want the tach pinned when cruising around 75mph.

- Is it worth swapping out the braking system or are the 10.1/10.9 discs in the Legacy up to the job ?

- How reliable is the standalone really ? Is it worth saving a few $$ or do I risk headaches down the road ? The installer is quite capable of rewiring the car with a new harness. I'm leaning towards spending the extra $$ for piece of mind.

- What kind of performance should I expect from an 01 Legacy with EJ20 swap ? Again I'm not into drag racing but would like somethign that is capable of mid 6's 0-60, mid 14's in the 1/4 and good passing power. These are just benchmark figures that I know will satisfy my needs. I really want to keep the car stock to keep it as reliable as possible. Mods would be limited to Suspension/wheels/tires.

What combination of the above would you recommend ?

Can you point me towards people here who are running simular swaps with Legacy/Foresters ? Link to post , url etc.. Thanks !
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

2) Motor

stay away from the LGT the ecu is wacky intagrated even the seat blets intagrate into the ecu
the best motor for you would be a baja xt
with that strip the complete interior and just move stuff over

3) Electronics
- Standalone management, much cheaper for install, supposed to be just as effective
i suppose some one could make anaftermarket ecu be as effective but i have yet to hear of one cheeper yes a good idea for a daily driver no also emmisions issues

4) Transmission

- Stay with stock 5sp
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Legacy
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 10188
Vehicle:
2007 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx
2) Motor

stay away from the LGT the ecu is wacky

i suppose some one could make anaftermarket ecu be as effective but i have yet to hear of one cheeper yes a good idea for a daily driver no also emmisions issues
Yeah I was digging deeper and it does appear the Legacy GT wiring is intergrated into every thing. That leaves a the XT 2.5t as the only option.

Are you saying that a standalone system is fully emissions compliant ? We have bi-yearly emissions testing which I would need to pass.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

baja xt and FXT both would be fine
its 100% UNcomplient it will fail if your state requires obd-2
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote