Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
hystikal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83294
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 E90 M3
2011 Prius

Default ECUTEK + misfire CELs???

Hey gang,
Got an Ecutek reflash last week on an otherwise bone-stock 2005 wrx with 5500 miles. Actually, I do have a UC Berkeley license plate frame, which adds about 3hp.
A few days later (but NEVER before the reflash), I got a CEL that flashed and stayed on and was read as a misfire by a random service guy at the dealer who was cool enough to help me after-hours (I didn't tell him about the reflash). He said the ECU had logged only one misfire and not to worry about it.
Anyway, there have been two occasions now that I get a misfire CEL while gunning the car in 5th on the freeway. I haven't had the codes pulled yet, but the CEL blinks for about 4-5 sec then completely disappears. At no time during or after is there a discernible deterioration in performance. I called my cousin who is a ASE trained and AAA approved automotive electronic mechanic and said that it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be caused by the reflash and is more likely to be a hardware problem (coils, plugs, etc). I've scheduled a dealer appointment next week and another appointment with vishnu in about two weeks, but wanted to know what experience you guys have had, as i don't want to drive the car til then if it could potentially be bad. Is this a common problem with ECUTEKs on otherwise stock cars?
regards,
h
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
hystikal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83294
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 E90 M3
2011 Prius

Default

awww...cmon...I know you gurus have some thoughts about this. I'll give you some cheetos
hystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
llhype12ll
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73073
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim/ LBC/ hayward
Vehicle:
2006 EVO IX
GG

Default

the same code i got too. Mine was a misfire on my 3rd cylinder, but it went away after the was rested.
But dan from harman told me if it did happen again, i should bring it in for a spark plug and/or coil change.

Last edited by llhype12ll; 03-25-2005 at 04:28 PM.
llhype12ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
MR. STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69645
Join Date: Sep 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystikal
Hey gang,
Got an Ecutek reflash last week on an otherwise bone-stock 2005 wrx with 5500 miles. Actually, I do have a UC Berkeley license plate frame, which adds about 3hp.
A few days later (but NEVER before the reflash), I got a CEL that flashed and stayed on and was read as a misfire by a random service guy at the dealer who was cool enough to help me after-hours (I didn't tell him about the reflash). He said the ECU had logged only one misfire and not to worry about it.
Anyway, there have been two occasions now that I get a misfire CEL while gunning the car in 5th on the freeway. I haven't had the codes pulled yet, but the CEL blinks for about 4-5 sec then completely disappears. At no time during or after is there a discernible deterioration in performance. I called my cousin who is a ASE trained and AAA approved automotive electronic mechanic and said that it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be caused by the reflash and is more likely to be a hardware problem (coils, plugs, etc). I've scheduled a dealer appointment next week and another appointment with vishnu in about two weeks, but wanted to know what experience you guys have had, as i don't want to drive the car til then if it could potentially be bad. Is this a common problem with ECUTEKs on otherwise stock cars?
regards,
h
how big of a difference did the ECUTEK make in your cars acceleration? is it a HUGE difference, or just a little difference.

i have an '04 STi and im getting a reflash next saturday, so when i hear stories like this i start getting cold feet.
MR. STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Subie Gal
GC84Ever
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 301
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1970 FF-1 & '70 Van
02 WRX/01 RS

Default

EcuTek is VERY reliable and just incredible when tuned by the proper tuner

www.pdxtuning.com = for me

you need to pull that CEL code.
did the tech at the dealership log the code #?

if it keeps occurring, there could be anything from a foul'd plug
to a stray wire grounding out....


is this due to the EcuTek? i doubt it.
helps to start with the diagnostic code.


cheers
Jamie
www.subiegal.com
Subie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
hystikal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83294
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 E90 M3
2011 Prius

Default

yeah, i have to agree that from what i've read, ECUTEK is reliable. Also, I would understand that the chances of glitch occurring would be higher if i had some serious and maybe inappropirate mods like a BOV, intake, bigger turbo, NOS, etc, but my car is bone stock. I've got an appointment at the dealer to get it checked next week.


It did make a significant change in mid-high end acceleration.
As far as how it would affect an STi, honestly bro, I don't know. I have to defer to someone else.
hystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
inveSTigator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75821
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: CenTex
Vehicle:
05 12s STi (Sold!)
tuned 06 Jetta TDI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. STi
how big of a difference did the ECUTEK make in your cars acceleration? is it a HUGE difference, or just a little difference.
i have an '04 STi and im getting a reflash next saturday, so when i hear stories like this i start getting cold feet.
Huge! Love it!! Who's doing your tuning? Any mods on your car?
inveSTigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
MR. STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69645
Join Date: Sep 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveSTigator
Huge! Love it!! Who's doing your tuning? Any mods on your car?


HUGE huh? thats what i want to hear

i have a 3inch RSR TBE, which is as far as it goes enginewise. pretty hefty suspension upgrades, visual upgrades are extensive as well......

i just need something thats as fast as it looks.

Jarrad from PDX tuning will be doing my tune....i'm pretty excited about it.

my brother in law had a regular cobb accessport with a stage II map loaded in his 04 WRX....... do you think he should go for the ECUTEK reflash/tune....or just stick with the COBB.

if hes not gonna see a big difference between the COBB and the ECUTEK, he doesnt want to spend the extra money.... any thoughts?
MR. STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
inveSTigator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75821
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: CenTex
Vehicle:
05 12s STi (Sold!)
tuned 06 Jetta TDI

Default

^^ Pm'ed Ya!
inveSTigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 AM   #10
wannaberacing
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 33919
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: santa barbara
Vehicle:
2002 2.5l-WBR-GT30R
wbrheads-ECUtech-400whp

Default

The big difference is the tuner. Having your car tuned as opposed to a blind reflash is way better.
wannaberacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
hystikal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83294
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 E90 M3
2011 Prius

Default

So, here's an update. Took my car to the dealer to get it checked out. Final conclusion was that there was no CEL stored in the ECU and they could find nothing wrong with hardware (otherwise stock WRX). So, given the fact that the CEL went away after flashing and no codes were stored, is it possible that the real-time "misfire" CELs were erroneously caused by ECUTEK and were false? Anyone else hear of this problem? I'll be taking it to Vishnu in a few weeks just to make sure.
hystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misfired, CEL, fixed misfire, cleared CEL, failed smog... mc2 Service & Maintenance 3 03-20-2009 09:50 AM
Misfired, CEL, fixed misfire, reset CEL, failed smog... mc2 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 1 03-19-2009 06:59 PM
Riding in a friend's WRX, major misfire, CEL! Snappy Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 1 06-09-2002 10:24 AM
Misfire CEL on EJ22T w/ 2.5 heads? FastRS Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 3 04-04-2002 06:52 PM
Misfire CEL because of alcohol in fuel??? PunksWRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 5 12-20-2001 01:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.