Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
dexterous
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23553
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 STI - WRB
2014 WRX - Silver

Default HELP - CEL P0302 and P0304 = Misfire on Cyl 2 and 4!

I posted this a few days ago and it went unanswered. Things have changed a bit so heres a new thread. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1997 Impreza L with a 2.2. I pulled my engine about a week ago to do a clutch and a timing belt. I got it all back together and it seemed to run fine. About two days later I cleaned the engine with some SuperTech (generic stuff from Wamart) engine cleaner and hosed it down (I did not power wash it). I drove the car around that night and everything worked great.

The next day I start the car to go to work and it seems like its hesitating at about 2500RPMs under any thing more than 15% throttle. If i get beyond 2500RPMs using very light throttle it seems as if it runs fine in the upper RPM range. When the car gets up to operating temp the at say ~4 minutes after its started the car runs great with no issues at all. So far I think I have thrown 8 CELs. Its always P0302 and P0304 at the exact same time. First the CEL blinks and then it goes on solid. Today it happened twice within two minutes. Even thought its throwing codes the car drives normally as if nothing was wrong. Its not down on power and doesnt appear to be using any extra gas. I keep a OBD-II handheld with me at all times so I have been clearing the codes.

I suspect the coil pack but the only response I got on NASIOC was a guy telling me that he doenst think its the coil pack. He said if it were the coil pack he would expect it to be on companion cylinders such as CYL 1 & 2 or CYL 3 & 4.

In the meantime heres what I have done with no success:
-Run a tank of 93 octane gas
-Added a bottle of injector cleaner to my 93oct gas
-Unplug all the wires on 2 & 4 and plug them back in
-Unplug the control wire harness on the coil pack
-Unplug and reinsert all the wire harnesses that I disconnected to pull the engine.

Tonight I am going to try:
-Change the plugs on 2 and 4
-Swap plug wires from 1 & 3 to 2 & 4 so see if the issue follows
-Remove and inspect the coil pack
-Inspect and reseat all the harnesses that I have touched

After that I see my next option as replacing the coil pack or the cam position sensor on that side of the engine
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dexterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
crystalhelix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 35313
Vehicle:
Spry Forester
Silver Spark

Cut a hole in the floor and add some Flintstone power!!!!!

Somebody help ^^^^ he needs it.

Justin
crystalhelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
washyu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16424
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STI
PSM

Have you checked your timming belt? I had the same problem I replaced the head gaskets on my car and I forgot to mark the timming belt before i took it off. So when I put it back on I missed the timming it by a tooth causing the car to missfire only the same way your is. I fixed by replacing the belt with a new one that had the marks so I could line them up.
washyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
rabbitnutz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51940
Chapter/Region: NESIC

drive through any large pudles lately ? i got those codes after hitting a 1 foot deep puddle at like ~40 mph... changed plyugs and wires, and everything was fine.
rabbitnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
Robin2
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 390
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX sedan
Plasma Blue

how old are the sparkplug wires???
Robin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
dexterous
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 STI - WRB
2014 WRX - Silver

I have only had the car for about 6 months so I dont know how old the wires are. I did however swap the wires from the left to the right yesterday to see if that would make a difference and it did not.

I didnt hit any puddles but I did wash the engine and spray it down with a hose... I think I am going to change the plugs on that side today.

rabitnutz, Did you do anything else to fix your problem?

Any chance that a vac leak would cause a problem like this?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
dexterous
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 STI - WRB
2014 WRX - Silver

WARNING! DO NOT DO THIS WITH A TURBO MOTOR!!!!!
(More later)

So I get pissed at my car last night and decide that I am hauling its aas to Langston Subaru in Pittsburgh PA first thing in the morning. So I go into the service department ask the first guy I come up to about the car and he says bring it inside the shop. He looks at it and I tell him about the CELs that I am getting and when the come on. I also told him what I have done thus far (earlier in this post). He looks at me and says "nothing you did has made one bid of difference has it?". "Well no" I said. He goes on to say that he sees cars like this come in all the time and that he thinks he knows exactly what it is.

My misfire CELs are most likely due to hot carbon deposits in the motor. He then tells me something that blew my mind. He pointed to a vac hose on my throttle body and says while the car is running at FULL operating temp disconnect the vac hose and run it into a big bucket of water and let it suck in all the water repeating three or four times or until the problem goes away. WARNING! DO NOT DO THIS WITH A TURBO MOTOR!!!!!

Well, as odd as it sounds I think it may have worked! I ran three full buckets of hot water through the motor as soon as I got home. So far I have driven all day without a single CEL. I typically get upwards of six CELs per day. We will see what tomorrow brings...

Check out the pictures:

Old 04-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
BoneStockTS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80670

That's a time-honored trick actually, to run water through the engine. I'd use a mister into the intake, so I didn't get any large drops in the cylinder.
BoneStockTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Robin2
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 390
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 WRX sedan
Plasma Blue

interesting..... did not know this..... keep the updating it....
Robin2 is offline   Reply With Quote