Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
tompetey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73034
Vehicle:
MY02 OBS

Default natural gas smell

I seem to be smelling a gas/oil smell that keeps getting a bit stronger. It is there most of the time but it does not smell like gas at the station. It smells more like a natural smell or raw smell. I am at a loss as to what it could be. Anyone know anything or experience any similar smell?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tompetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
bobby d
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77989
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza RS
Crystal Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompetey
I seem to be smelling a gas/oil smell that keeps getting a bit stronger. It is there most of the time but it does not smell like gas at the station. It smells more like a natural smell or raw smell. I am at a loss as to what it could be. Anyone know anything or experience any similar smell?
Sounds like your catalytic converter to me. But crawl under the car and make sure you don't have a plastic bag or something caught on the exhaust that is melting and producing fumes.
bobby d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
tompetey
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY02 OBS

if it was my cat, would I be getting a cel? I have no cel but I did notice that my o2 sensor was reading a bit funky on the computer a few weeks ago. Should I be looking into a new cat and o2?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
bobby d
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77989
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza RS
Crystal Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompetey
if it was my cat, would I be getting a cel? I have no cel but I did notice that my o2 sensor was reading a bit funky on the computer a few weeks ago. Should I be looking into a new cat and o2?

Not sure if it would throw a cel or not. Sorry.
bobby d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
tompetey
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY02 OBS

If the cat was bad, wouldn't the smell be smoewhat more sulfur-like. This smell I have isn't like that rotten egg smell but rather more like a strong gas leak like if you leave your stove on without being ignited. It is really weird because it just started smelling one day after 83k miles. I am lat a loss as to what it could be. I am hoping you are onto something with the cat.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
beefyib123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 55811

DID YOU FART????

J/k i'd check to make sure you CAT isn't plugged.
beefyib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
tompetey
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
MY02 OBS

how do I check to find out if it is plugged?