Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
dfritz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49069
Vehicle:
03 obs
05 Baja turbo 5 spd

Default Good replacement tires for an 03?

My neighbor has an 03 Outback (i'm unsure of the version it's got everything, including automatic transmission). He's not a power driver, but likes good handling.

He has a set of snow tires for winter, and needs to take off the Blizzacks and get summer tires. He inexplicably liked the RE 92s, and got 60K out of them, ( they were more worn than I allow my tires to get).

I suggested RE95s, but know there are many good choices for 3 season tires for rural and highway driving.

What's your favorite tires folks?
dfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
outbackwbeer!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64060
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 lifted FOZ M/Ts
glacier white

BFG traction ta's , I got rid of my re-92's after 14,000miles of suffering.......my outbacks an '03 also with an auto as well
outbackwbeer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
rockhopjohn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76297
Vehicle:
2004 Outback Wagon
Mystic Blue Pearl

Well, I have the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads. And they are GREAT. The only thing I didn't like about them was the price. They hand very well on dry pavement, not a lot of tire squeal on hard cornering. What is really amazing is how well they do on snow and ice. I have taken them through 3 inches of unplowed snows, and very icy roads, and they were surefooted the entire time. I have only had them for about 4000 miles but so far I am very impressed.

Check them out on Tire Rack. They have a good description and a bunch of reviews. The have been rated number one in the passenger All season tire category.
rockhopjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
outbackwbeer!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64060
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 lifted FOZ M/Ts
glacier white

ICY roads........? You must drive at a crawl........Get real! You need studs/chains or studless snowtires to handle great on icy roads. No all season or three season tire does great on icy roads period.......!

Only three inches of snow ? Oh please! my old re-92's I broke trail in foot and half of powder! It's the all wheel drive ! The BFG traction ta's did great in 8-10" of wet snow breakin trail without chains!
outbackwbeer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
rockhopjohn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76297
Vehicle:
2004 Outback Wagon
Mystic Blue Pearl

Hey Outback,

Pull your head out of your ass. I have only had the tires for a month or so, how much snow do you think we get in Montana in April. I run Toyo Observes, for winter tires, and yes they do better on ice, but I was very surprised by the handling of the Goodyears in comparison to the Toyos. I have plowed snow coming over the hood of my outback too, so don't act like you are some kind of hot ****.
rockhopjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
moforose3.0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38443
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, 300zx TT
blue

Go to tirerack.com and do a search for the tire size, then compare the results. This will show you treadwear, traction in all conditions, etc., etc. I am also looking for tires and the tirerack is the place to go. I like the Continental ContiExtremeContact, Bridgestone Potenza G009, and the BFGoodrich Traction T/A. Check it out, it should answer a majority of your questions.
moforose3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
GBR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44277
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Wagons
Green & Black

RE-92's are one of the worst tires I've ever driven.

What is Subaru thinking when they emphasize safety and winter driving performance , yet they supply the car with one of the worst performing 'All Season' tires.

Results TireRack online tire survey: 1152 surveys submitted 27,679,887 miles reported

Hee is a Bridgestone RE92 versus a Goodrich Traction

Dry...........................6.9............9.1
Traction Wet..............5.0............8.8
Traction Hydro ...........4.9............8.6
Resistance Snow.........3.7............7.8
Traction Cornering.......6.6............8.7
Stability Steering.........3.1............8.7
Response Ride.............6.4 ...........8.2
Comfort Noise..............6.2...........7.8
Comfort Tread.............5.2...........8.5
Wear
Surveyed Averages
Key: Superior (8.6-10) Excellent (6.6-8.5) Good (4.6-6.5) Fair (2.6-4.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)

Most Recent Reviews of the Bridgestone Potenza RE92
Vehicle: 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Driving Style: Spirited
Miles driven on tires: 38,500 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.25 out of 10
Review Submitted: 2005-03-22

Poor wet traction, but with some dry traction and poor durability. Dont recommende it again.
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote