Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default EcuTek reflash on Sti w/ TBE

I've got a buddy who just did and EcuTek reflash on his '04 Sti. He has a Helix catted DP, and Helix exhaust and nothing more.

Question 1
On the dyno he made 277.8 WHP and 306 WTQ do these numbers sound right? BTW I think that he only gained .5 whp after the tune, I'm not sure about the TQ but I think that he gained 40-45.

Question 2
What can be done to get his HP numbers above the 300whp mark? I gave him some suggestions but I would like to hear what you all have to say. The mods would need to be with in reason as in fuel injectors are ok but a new turbo is to much.

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Scooby-Doode
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28976
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2007 Twin Turbo
Spoolin'

Default

Answer1
First. How about some more details about those numbers? What PSI and what RPM? What about Altitude? Weather conditions? What dyno?
Those are good TQ numbers. And pretty good WHP numbers. Your friend may have a conservative tune but there are too many un-known variables.

Answer2
Non-catted DP,Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump
Scooby-Doode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-Doode
Answer1
First. How about some more details about those numbers? What PSI and what RPM? What about Altitude? Weather conditions? What dyno?
Those are good TQ numbers. And pretty good WHP numbers. Your friend may have a conservative tune but there are too many un-known variables.

Answer2
Non-catted DP,Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump
We don't what what PSI or at what RPM's he was making these numbers at.
Sea level and around 60*F...sorry that's the best I can do.
Dynapack Dyno
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

anyone?
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
Drews_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20354
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Vehicle:
2005 SRT-4
POS Mopar stage 2

Default

those mumbers are about right. The only other way to make more power (300+whp) would be to try a VF22, injectors, and pump. But if you are going to get a bigger turbo, might as well as get atleast a FP Green.

If you are on a limited budget, maybe some headers ($499) and a race gas tune. Other than those options, your pretty much stuck at that power level. Race gas & a tune for it has been shown to add ~20whp.

Like someone else said, removing the cat might be worth an additional 10-15whp.
Drews_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
shinsain
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51745
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Wenatchee...WA
Vehicle:
LIKE A
BOSS

Default

If he's got a high flow cat, the performance gain vs. a catless will be negligable. Assuming he's got a good DP, which he does.

And a tune for race gas alone would possibly work, but it would be worthless for anything but the track.

You have to find out what PSI he was at and what the curve looks like. Without that, this is useless.

Personally, those sound like good numbers to me. Pretty normal. It sounds like his tune could be a little on the conservative side though.
shinsain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Ok thanks.

We bounced around a few things and came up with this.

Maybe:
TDO5-18G
Power Enterprise 850cc Fuel Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

I thought about sending his stock fuel injectors out to get mod'd but the price was almost the same as buying new ones.

He also mentioned a FMIC but I feel that with a larger turbo he's going to get some lag and that lag will be even greater with a FMIC.
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
davi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78093
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so cal
Vehicle:
05 Sti
silver

Default

Does anyone think that a bigger TMIC would make much of a difference?
davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
fmowry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54604
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Severn, MD
Vehicle:
2004 FXT
Cayenne Red (sold)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyK1371
Ok thanks.


I thought about sending his stock fuel injectors out to get mod'd but the price was almost the same as buying new ones.
Modded injectors are 220. Where are you getting PEs for that price? Even if you buy used yellows for ~200 which they regularly go for, you're looking at $450 max after shipping AND you have an extra set of injectors.

18G would be a nice upgrade but you might as well go up to a 20G or Green/SZ if you're going to replace the turbo.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry
Modded injectors are 220. Where are you getting PEs for that price? Even if you buy used yellows for ~200 which they regularly go for, you're looking at $450 max after shipping AND you have an extra set of injectors.

18G would be a nice upgrade but you might as well go up to a 20G or Green/SZ if you're going to replace the turbo.

Frank
I looked on RC Engineerings website and they listed mod'd Sti injectors for around $600. The PE's are about that same price...so why not just go out and get new ones if you going to spend that much money.

Do you have any links to any places that can mod stock injectors on the cheap?

It's strange because I was quoted by RC awhile back that to mod my stockers (WRX) the actual mod was free but cleaning, flow testing, and blue printing would run me $100 all together for all 4.
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Hello Out There?
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #12
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyK1371
Do you have any links to any places that can mod stock injectors on the cheap?
Anyone
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
jmanrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15288
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: camp hill, pa
Vehicle:
2004 wrb sti

Default

how can you be a "specialist"

*cough* post whore *cough*

and not know anything--like how to make horsepower or if power numbers are right or not

being a "specialist" you should be familiar with the search button

try perrin or power enterprises
jmanrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
Jkonquer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 81058
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle:
05 impreza wrx sti
white/gold

Default

i know a guy with turboxs-rfl-ti tbe catless, FMIC, typhoon, and ecutek made 310whp/320tq
Jkonquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #15
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanrex
how can you be a "specialist"

*cough* post whore *cough*

and not know anything--like how to make horsepower or if power numbers are right or not

being a "specialist" you should be familiar with the search button

try perrin or power enterprises
Hey punk why don't you do a search of my posts and you can let me know what I've post whored about. I know about my car and the things that I want to do with it. I'm trying to get the proper information on my friends car so we can do it right from the start. I already checked those sites before I even started this thread and this thread is for him not me. He doesn't visit this site because they don't have a section dedicated to STI's and he's also tired of punks like you flaming everyone with out posting any useful information. Your post was useless and didn't give any useful information execpt to prove that you are the true post whore. If anyone is a post whore it is you...
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
jmanrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15288
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: camp hill, pa
Vehicle:
2004 wrb sti

Default

if you would calm down abit you would know that perrin will be the cheapest place to get modified injectors unless you are risky enough to purchase some off ebay or the private forsale forum

i wasn't trying to flame you or anyone --if you read my post more carefully you would see that i gave you 2 suggestions as well as other people did too but that doesn't seem to be good enough for you -- there really are no other places right now--i am just trying to help--obviously i made a mistake by trying to crack a little funnay into the thread with the post whore but you were not amused i guess--and obviously i am not a post whore because i still have a noob status and have been on here for 3 years



i am as old as you are so drop the punk thing--i am not some 16 year old who just got a used or new wrx and thinks he's the *****
jmanrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #17
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanrex
if you would calm down abit you would know that perrin will be the cheapest place to get modified injectors unless you are risky enough to purchase some off ebay or the private forsale forum

i wasn't trying to flame you or anyone --if you read my post more carefully you would see that i gave you 2 suggestions as well as other people did too but that doesn't seem to be good enough for you -- there really are no other places right now--i am just trying to help--obviously i made a mistake by trying to crack a little funnay into the thread with the post whore but you were not amused i guess--and obviously i am not a post whore because i still have a noob status and have been on here for 3 years



i am as old as you are so drop the punk thing--i am not some 16 year old who just got a used or new wrx and thinks he's the *****
Ok. Lets start over.

I found on another thread that some guy said that he got some Perrin modded injectors for I believe $210. But he didn't say if the $210 was for just the mod or if it also included, flow testing, cleaning, etc. I'm waiting for him to post back with an answer.

BTW if I seem anal about getting every bit of information down to the T you would be correct. There are some good guys in our hobby and there are some real shaddy people out there who will blow smoke up your ass just to sell you their product or their tune. It's my friends car so I want to make sure he gets the best deal at the best price with out any harm coming to his car.
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #18
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkonquer
i know a guy with turboxs-rfl-ti tbe catless, FMIC, typhoon, and ecutek made 310whp/320tq
Who did your friends tune?
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkonquer
i know a guy with turboxs-rfl-ti tbe catless, FMIC, typhoon, and ecutek made 310whp/320tq

What kind of dyno? Some dyno's yield higher numbers.

You could make 300 with a bigger fuel pump and injectors, maybe with a bigger TMIC. But you might as well get the turbo as well, ya know? There was someone who made 320 hp/385 ft.-lb. on the stock turbo(I think it was Kingpin). But he had quite a bit of mods, including a FMIC IIRC.


Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #20
cpasti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 50582
Join Date: Dec 2003
Default

You may want to check with RC again, I don't believe they have STi side feed injectors. At least that's what they told me last week.
cpasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #21
tora
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5851
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Default

Krazy, who did the tune on your friends car (I may have missed this in your post), I'd look at a pump and injectors before turbo, just try it with a re-tune and see what you can get, but I doubt you'd get your WHP #'s over 300 with that. The numbers you got seem pretty reasonable. Do you know what the baseline run was before the mods? Next up is swapping out the turbo...maybe a bigger intercooler.
tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #22
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpasti
You may want to check with RC again, I don't believe they have STi side feed injectors. At least that's what they told me last week.
"We can provide injectors in any format, any type of mounting or fuel rail configuration. These include hose end, large o - ring American / European fuel rail, small o - ring Japanese fuel rail and custom additional controller units."

http://www.rceng.com/prices.htm
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #23
Call_me_Tom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60972
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tora
Krazy, who did the tune on your friends car (I may have missed this in your post), I'd look at a pump and injectors before turbo, just try it with a re-tune and see what you can get, but I doubt you'd get your WHP #'s over 300 with that. The numbers you got seem pretty reasonable. Do you know what the baseline run was before the mods? Next up is swapping out the turbo...maybe a bigger intercooler.
I'll pm the tuners name to you. I don't want to start any "my tuner is better than your tuner", "he blew my engine", he made my car run lean/rich" etc posts.

We also asked that the tuner email us a dyno graph. When that gets in we'll post it on this thread.
Call_me_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ecutek Reflash on 2008 STI's alcrudojr #00 Proven Power Bragging 10 12-27-2008 11:22 AM
ECUtek reflashed JDM STi v7 ECU DubuRX Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 5 09-28-2004 03:25 AM
Ecutek reflash for STi SlidewaysSTi Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 6 08-10-2004 10:50 PM
Reflash on STi and a fuel pump. RafalW Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 6 07-10-2004 07:52 PM
Any BAIC'ers done reflash on STi? wolverine Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 10 08-05-2003 03:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.