Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
multiplexer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39518
Unhappy Replacing A/C expansion valve?

Has anyone attempted to do this on their on?
Should I try to do it, or leave it up to professionals?
I would like to consider myself mechanically inclined; but no prior A/C repair experience.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
multiplexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Have an AC shop do it. The system has to be properly discharged, it's both illegal and dangerous to attempt this yourself. Shops have special equipment to recover the refrigerant so it isn't vented into the atmosphere, there's also the possibility of frostbite or eye damage if it contacts your skin or eyes.
After the repair the system has to be recharged with gauges so the pressures are correct.
You could have a shop empty the system for you, do the valve replacement yourself, then have them do the recharge. However I doubt this would save you much money.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
multiplexer
Scooby Newbie

Since my valve went, the system has self discharged, so that's not going to be a problem. I was going to have a shop evacuate and recharge after replacing the valve. My question mainly pertained to the difficulty of getting to the valve and replacing it. Anyone knows how hard is it to replace the valve?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

It's located inside the evaporator housing, you'll have to remove the evaporator to get to it. Not a quickie job by any means.
If the system has been empty for a while, the receiver/dryer unit may need to be replaced. Check with the shop and see what they think.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
'95 Montego Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
...the receiver/dryer unit may need to be replaced....
yep, most likely.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #6
multiplexer
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for you help guys,
I've checked the diagram on subaruparts.com and it looks to be a major PITA. The damn thing went out at 39K, and I didn't get the extended warranty. The reason I wanted to do this on my own is to avoid paying $1200 to have it done professionally (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ferrerid=39518 ). That couldíve been a nice turbo upgrade. And the thing that makes me mad, is that I in no way responsible for it breaking (at least I think that). I've owned many cars with much higher mileage and never had anything like that happen before. Kinda disappointed in my Suby. It's starting to get real hot here is SoCal.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
quikenuff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52540

Is your system empty?

If so or not, what makes you think the expansion valve is bad?
quikenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
multiplexer
Scooby Newbie

RECAP: The system was completely empty. I was told by an a/c shop tech that my symptoms were of the ruptured expansion valve (had strange fluttering noise coming from the vents for a couple of minutes before completely stopped working). However I didn't have them work on my car as they would have charged an undermined amount to check it, depending on what they found; wanted to keep car for days; whole deal seemed shady; so I left thinking it is my valve. Found a post with similar problem, where a guy was also told that itís the valve after having it inspected. Started this thread trying to get some more info on how to replace it, but decided to leave up to professionals.
UPDATE: Took car to Sears as they donít charge unless they fix the problem, thinking they going to tell me I have ruptured valve, or evaporator problem. Their tech told me they evacuated 0.3 something (very low Ė almost completely empty), and recharged the system, which took car of the problem. No leaks were found. A/C has been working for 3 days now with no problems.
I have regained confidence in my Suby.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
riwaki
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8280
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Default just had mine replaced

I have 85k on my wrx and I just had to have my expansion valve replaced to resolve the problem with my A/C. It cost about $600 to fix at the suby dealer. A/C works good now.
riwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #10
awu72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 89198
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Black

Regarding cost of replacing the expansion valve, I brought my '04 WRX Wagon (6500 miles) to Royal Subaru of Decatur this week for 3 issues:

1) A/C not working (that was a rough ride back to ATL from Savannah last weekend)
2) loose front left wheel skirt
3) keyless chirp malfunction

For each problem they:

1) replaced the expansion valve
2) replaced missing push nut
3) replaced keyless entry alarm box

It was all under warranty, so it didn't cost me anything, but I did see the quote (claim) they would make to SOA and it cost $422.62 = $273.00 Labor + $149.62 parts.

Unfortunately they missed fixing the A/C fan. It looks like a fan motor resistor failure. There is no air movement on settings 1, 2 and 3, but there is max air on setting 4.
awu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

I'd be surprised to see a blower resistor failure on an 04, although it certainly is possible. Was this problem present before the AC repair, or only after you got it back? If the latter, there's a good chance they forgot to plug the connector for the resistor back in after reinstalling the fan housing. Take a look under there and see if it's hanging.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #12
awu72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Black

Quote:
I'd be surprised to see a blower resistor failure on an 04, although it certainly is possible. Was this problem present before the AC repair, or only after you got it back? If the latter, there's a good chance they forgot to plug the connector for the resistor back in after reinstalling the fan housing. Take a look under there and see if it's hanging.
The problem was not quite exactly the same as it is now. Prior to the repair, I was getting very little airflow on all four settings (1,2,3 and 4). It was also sporadic, meaning airflow for each setting would return to normal briefly. Now after the repair, it's quite clearly almost no airflow on settings 1, 2 and 3, but max airflow on 4 consistantly all the time. Luckily, we caught this before driving out and it was the mechanic's opinion that the resistor failed. I'll check if the plug is hanging tomorrow during the day. The resistor is just to the left of the glove compartment, right?

FYI, the original symptoms of the a/c prior to the repair including the fan issues I've already described were sporadic cooling of the air. The a/c would be on, but it felt like only vent on-and-off. In addition, condensation would literally pour onto the driver's accelerator foot periodically. The mechanic diagnosed it as a faulty A/C expansion valve that allowed the evaporator core to freeze. When it thawed, the freon would start flowing again and voila -- cold air + some water dripping on my foot. It seems to be the correct diagnosis.

Last edited by awu72; 07-08-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The plug is all the way on the bottom of the fan housing which is behind/below the glovebox. There are two plugs down there, one for the fan motor and the other for the resistor. You might need to pull back the carpet to see it.
It sounds like your original problem may have been icing of the evaporator while the AC was running, which would reduce the airflow from the vents at all fan speeds. The flow would return to normal once the AC was shut off and the ice melted.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
awu72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Black

Quote:
yep. you're right. the mechanic forgot to plug the connector for the resistor. I plugged it in this morning and the fan is working fine.

thanks. that saved me a trip back to the dealer.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
awu72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Black

update: a/c has been working fine for the last 3 weeks.