Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
josh...just josh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82273
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
97 impreza L
now with wrx brake love!!

Default stand alone management

My mechanical engineering degree is a ways off yet, as is the good paying jobs that will hopefully come with it. As for right know I am still just a poor college kid but I am currently planing a potential subaru build that would be spread out a few year period (hopefully with the expensive parts being later when i'm making a decent living). My question really is about engine management options with an engine swap. I know that a common (although costly) option is a stand alone management system. It is my understanding that the system fully takes the place of the ECU and includes an engine specific wiring harness (not car or car/engine specfic). I guess my real question is how this type of system incorporates the car's sensors (O2, mass air flow, etc..)? Do the sensors have to be wired into the system? Or does the system somehow fake the standred values for the sensors to allow for a trully stand alone where the motor functions independently of the sensors? Also, does an engine specfic wiring harness and piggy-back ecu have to be wired into the car's harness? I'm really just trying to get a grasp on what I am getting into.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
josh...just josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

well, not all stand alone has to be wired in...for instance, I'm a poor college student also studying Mechanical Engineering...I did my 02 WRX engine swap and my Link 44s full standalone was actually plug and play with the WRX wiring harness....I now have utec, being the car is my daily driver and link was just too much of a pain for daily use...
the recommended engine management really depends on how in depth you want to be in control and how user friendly(not having to tune everyday) you want it to be..
-Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
josh...just josh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 impreza L

Hey thanks for the reply man...so does that mean that the sensors are wired on the engine's side of the harness (as it would seem now that I look into it)? I know that a fair amount of the sensors are actually physically mounted on the engine but what of the ones that are not, say the power steering pressure sensor? Do those sensors have to be wired into the new engine's harness after a swap? If so, is that hard to do? I am unquestionably a noob, but I'm trying to complile enough knowlegde of the process so that when I actually do it, I wont run into any surprises.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
josh...just josh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 impreza L

Also... how did you go about sourcing that wrx powerplant; is it usdm, jsdm, or crate? My mechanic skills are not yet good enough to do major engine work, but I'm also considering just doing a build on a ej22t block or even my stock ej22e. Getting ahold of a wrx engine with a reputable background seems to be hard and expensive, and with time and plaining, i feel that an engine build is within the relm of possible. Did you use the tranny that was in your car (mines auto, not even something that I'm considering using, i figure that a wrx 5-speed will do fine, maybe even getting ahold of a spent one and trudging through dropping some higher tensile gears in it, i figure that even that route would be cheaper than a used sti tranny)? Remembering that I a navie noob.