Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
sliver911
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87835
Question Timing/low end bog.

I am a newbie here so dont burn me too horribly. i just purchased a 94 Legacy sport with the ej22t. The prev. owner just recently replaced the timing belt and water pump. He states that the timing is off, which would explain the lag in acceleration and also the feeling of misfiring with a bit of backfire on the very rare occasion. I have searched the forums up and down and cannot find anything on how to correct the timing if it is off any. Also wondering if these symptoms could be the result of a bad catalytic and/or O2 sensor right after the turbo.

any help would be great.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by sliver911; 05-24-2005 at 05:11 PM.
sliver911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
napphappy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56170
Vehicle:
95 Impreza L
Ugly

The timing belt could be off a tooth.
napphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
sliver911
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by napphappy
The timing belt could be off a tooth.
so once the new belt is on there is no way to adjust the timing other than removing the belt and moving it a tooth correct? I havent hit it with a timing light as of yet so i am not possitive if it is in time or not. I am new to the H layout so i am not really sure as the correct procedure for timing.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
napphappy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56170
Vehicle:
95 Impreza L
Ugly

The spark plug timing is controlled by the computer. the valve timing is set by the timing belt.

If you pull the plastic cover off the front of the motor you will see the timing belt. there are marks on the cam pulleys and the crank. These marks are what you use to align everything.

The marks/dashes on the crank and cam pulleys should all be straight up. you may have to rotate the crank to line them up. Keep in mind that the ARROWS do not mean anything.

Hope that helps
napphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
sliver911
Scooby Newbie

so i located the problem. Idler pulley was not installed correctly. the pulley that rests up against the tension piston was not on straight, causing wear on my new timing belt. ive pulled the pulley, am realligning the green dots/notches with the notch in the housing I.E. straight up, and lining the crank pulley straight up as well. We'll see how it all works when it's all back together.

thanks for the help.