|05-25-2005, 07:14 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: norfuk in the HRVehicle:
2005 5spd Baja-T
congrats! glad you keep it honest-- while the baja is my favorite vehicle (that i have owned) so far, it still has its downfalls...
|05-26-2005, 03:11 PM||#3|
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sierra foothillsVehicle:
2005 05 baja turbo
regal blue pearl
Well done. I too "settled" for a baja, and have found that
a few of the compromises would now be pretty hard to give up.
I traded in a sports car for my turbo, and still miss the
sports car handling, but I also have found that I really like
the added ground clearance in the real world.
And, isn't it interesting that our 210hp bajas have (for all
practical purposes) the exact same performance numbers
as a 250hp Outback XT? <grin>
|05-27-2005, 12:58 AM||#5|
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Portland OregonVehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl
PM coming your way regarding the negotiation process...
|05-27-2005, 08:48 AM||#6|
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern VAVehicle:
'06 Volvo V70R
Patrick - I agree, what I really like about driving the Baja is the real world benefits over a sports sedan.
- I don't have to slow down at speed bumps (part of my commute every day)
- I can drive up a curb and park in the grass (Quiznos gets crowded quick around here)
- I can keep up and pass as needed in traffic
- lower front end does not catch the sidewalk at the day care center
- can carry and spill gas cans without stinking up the interior of a car (some might find this a disadvantage )
- 3yr old son can play catch from the bed of the Baja
- tailgate serves as impromtu seat and lunch table
The turbo Baja is really a fun car you can live with day to day.
ION Performance has a set of lowering springs enroute to me, so I'll be exploring the suspenion options for the '05s. Although, this might effect my curb climbing performance.
|05-28-2005, 09:55 AM||#7|
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hamburg, NJVehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
Garnet Red Pearl
I read your article. I found it an interesting read, but don't really see how one could compare a mid-market price point car with the likes of a higher end offering. I drive a Subaru, but wish I could afford a Porsche!?!? I think we all share the unreachable desire to have what we can not afford many times throughout our lives.
My situation was a bit different. My daily driver of 10 months was a '02 Nissan Frontier Crew-Cab SC 4x4 long bed. The motivations behind the Baja purchase were the following:
- Utility: Frontier fit this bill but the tonneau cover combined with the bed extender made it a chore for just throwing every day items in its bed (outside of groceries)
- Fuel Economy: Frontier was getting about 15 MPG
- Fun Factor: Frontier was not all that exciting to drive even with the super charger, my previous daily driver was a '91 Toyota MR2 (it's now back to recreational duties with just a tad fewer than 70k original miles on the clock).
- Performance: I am a car guy, the Baja will allow me the occasional trip to an autocross, to the drag strip, and has potential to be a street sleeper (they say a car best describes one's personality). When I need to go to the store and pick up the things homeowners buy, I'll be able to just throw them in the back without having to worry about how I'm going to get something home.
I'm really interested in hearing how you make out with the ION Performance springs. So far it has been pretty difficult to figure out all the cross-compatibilities between the Legacy platform and Forester XT/ Impreza STI power plant (especially with the 4EAT transmission).
|05-28-2005, 10:20 AM||#8|
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Ellicott City, MD, USAVehicle:
'09 WRX Prem 5-dr
• Will the '06 Baja get the same engine upgrades as the '06 Forester, both turbo and non-turbo?
• Anything else? 17" wheels on turbos? Interior upgrades?
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Need Quick Advice on purchase of 1991 2.2 turbo||maciek||Legacy Forum||7||08-21-2007 11:53 PM|
|article on 2.5i wagon||impreza06||Normally Aspirated Powertrain||7||08-16-2006 10:01 AM|
|Location to purchase amplifier parts (kicker)||neushane||Car Audio, Video & Security||3||12-07-2005 08:35 PM|
|purchasing car parts online||subimp6u08||General Community||7||01-05-2004 12:01 AM|
|How can I purchase JDM parts?||BrysImpreza||Forester Forum||25||07-19-2003 07:14 AM|