Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
matt6669
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38334
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Default help with a broken gear

alright i need some expertise on a situation im in.

About 8 months ago i was traveling down the highway and my car got stuck in 4th gear. The reason for this was the synchro's were shot among other things.

now 8 months later i had to take my car in b/c i had a whinning noise coming from all gears which turned out to be a bad bearing b/c supposedly a piece of 3rd gear got chipped off and it got crushed up and entered into the bearing aka making the bearing go bad.

my question is, subaru of america is saying that they are not held responsible for it AT ALL!!!! i said how is that possible, how can you say what you did to the tranny didn't make that happen, i said if the sychro's and the forks weren't put in correctly that could make the gears not line up correctly thus making it chip. I've had the whinning noise for a while now, i took it to subaru he said keep driving it untill the bearing goes it'll cost you less for us to find the problem. The whinning noise started a couple months after they redid the tranny probably about 2 months

ALSO after they had did the tranny my tranny ended up leaking fluid i didn't notice it untill i checked the fluid and realized that it was EMPTY could that have anything todo with it chipping.

some information would be helpful from you guys
and heres a picture

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
matt6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
matt6669
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

anyone anyone bueller anyone anyone bueller
just wondering if anyone had any input
thanks
Matt
Old 05-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

If SoA isn't going to cover it, you are pretty much hosed - you can try and fight (maybe get a lawyer) but that's going to cost time and money and might not end with your car getting fixed - the cheapest way out is probably going to be picking up a used transmission - if you want to spend some $, then maybe go with something like the STi RA gearset.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
matt6669
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

yeah i don't want to beef it up or anything b/c its actually getting sold in a month or two as i just picked up a vette to replace the wrx. But my question is, can the fact that they replaced those parts have anything to do with that gear breaking. im not necissarily saying that what they did caused it to break but how can they make themselves not liable at all

Matt
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 AM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

What modifications do you (or have you) had?
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6669
But my question is, can the fact that they replaced those parts have anything to do with that gear breaking. im not necissarily saying that what they did caused it to break but how can they make themselves not liable at all
I think that's pretty much the standard stance they take on internal transmission damage (damaged gears, anyway) - probably the result of too many people grenading their transmissions drag racing, then trying to get it covered under warranty. Unfortunately, while they can't really prove it's not their fault, there's really no way for you to prove to them that is was indeed their fault - and that's what you need to do in order for them to cover it.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
matt6669
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

theres no mods on the car right now......

you know i mean i can't believe that they can get away with stuff like this, i have an aftermarket warranty that should cover it and i only have to pay 100 deductible but if i have to pay more im gonna have to call subaru of america and see if i can work something out, or i might have to go to court who knows

Matt