Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
sessions
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85687
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
99 legacy SUS
white

Default speedometer electronics

I recently had an outbreak of mice in my 99 legacy SUS. Although I did not catch any of them, they did some damage to my car. I am pretty sure that they chewed on the speedometer cable, as my speedometer and odometer does not work correctly. It usually won't work when I am driving on the highway and only sometimes when I press and hold the trip reset button. Other times it works just fine.

I have no electric experience so I have not yet put apart my dash to confirm what is going on. I also have no idea what wires I should look at.

I was wondering if it was possible to just replace the wires that run from the instrument pannel to the ecu? If it is possible is it hard and where can i find a wiring diagram if nessecary to do it? Also what parts would I need?

If it is not possible to just replace the wiring, what needs to be done.

Any help is appreciate, thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Since you have no experience and apparently don't have the wiring manual either, this is not a good DIY project. I'd suggest you take it to a shop or find someone in your area with the proper experience to help you. Ask in your local forum for assistance, I'm sure you'll be able to get the help you need.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

The gauge cluster gets the speed signal from the transmission itself, not the ECU. The vehicle speed sensor sends a signal into the passenger compartment where it forks and goes to both the ECU and the gauge cluster. If the ECU doesn't see a vehicle speed signal then it goes into a sort of limp mode (my car won't rev above 4000rpm, for instance). It may be that you have lost the wire going to the gauge cluster but the wire going to the ECU is just fine. It could just be that your gauge cluster died too...

To check that, you have to pull the trim away from the gauge cluster and pull it back a bit to expose the wires. You can look at the back of it and see where most of the wires trace to. Get out your trusty volt-ohm meter and see if you are reading any voltage from the wire going to the speedometer (obviously without running anything over). If you get a signal then check for the gounds for the cluster as well as power. If both the ground and the power check out, then the speedometer portion of the cluster may be suspect.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru

Member#: 88618
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

IRT#3
That explains why I had rev problems when my speedo and odo went. I was going through town one day and I realised I had no speedo! Then on the way to work the next morning on the motorway I wondered why my engine refused to go above 4,000. I also had a CE come on too, so combined with rev problem I thought it was majorly serious. It turns out when my clutch was done the cable wasn't connected to the gearbox properly and it eventually came out with driving.
Well, that's what the grease monkey told me.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote