Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
humdinger4u
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 82905
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Auto dim rear view mirror 1998 outback,Best place to buy it from?

Where can I buy it at the best price? What all does it do......auto dim and what else? Clock?

Thanks, Michael
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
humdinger4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Since AFAIK this wasn't available as a plug-in option on your car and it's not prewired for it, you'll likely be going aftermarket, although it would be possible to install one of the OEM Subaru mirrors- you'd just have to run the wires yourself.
There are two companies that manufacture these mirrors, Gentex and Donnelly. They supply the auto-dim mirrors used for OEM applications as well as aftermarket retailers. Either one can be installed in a Subaru as long as you get the proper "cam lock" type mount. The mirror sold by Subaru is a Donnelly and has a built-in compass display, other versions are available that also have outside temp display and/or map lights.
Check the classifieds on here for used Subaru mirrors, and Ebay for aftermarket ones. Do a search on both "Donnelly" and "Gentex".
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
palpullero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21170
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
1992 SVX, 2005 STi
Satin Pearl, CGM, 03 Baja

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger4u
Where can I buy it at the best price? What all does it do......auto dim and what else? Clock?

Thanks, Michael
Try subaruparts.com and subaruxtras.com. Wiring is mostly done to the courtesy lights on the Impreza.
palpullero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

The wiring consists of switched 12V, ground, and a connection to the reverse light circuit (to undim the mirror when backing up at night). You can't get switched 12V at the courtesy lights, only constant 12V. The reverse connection won't be there unless the car is prewired for the mirror.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
palpullero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21170
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
1992 SVX, 2005 STi
Satin Pearl, CGM, 03 Baja

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
The wiring consists of switched 12V, ground, and a connection to the reverse light circuit (to undim the mirror when backing up at night). You can't get switched 12V at the courtesy lights, only constant 12V. The reverse connection won't be there unless the car is prewired for the mirror.
Would you say that an '05 STi without the auto-dim mirror option is prewired for the mirror or not? I would like to use my '02 WRX auto-dim mirror on an '05 Sti.
palpullero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
palpullero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21170
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
1992 SVX, 2005 STi
Satin Pearl, CGM, 03 Baja

Default

I am assuming the '05 STi is wired like the '02 WRX based on this installation guide:

http://www.subaruparts.com/guides/44...ompass_IxI.pdf

Let me know.
palpullero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

AFAIK the 05 would still be prewired and should have the same setup. But I haven't looked at a mirror install on one so I can't say this with 100% certainty.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
humdinger4u
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 82905
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
Since AFAIK this wasn't available as a plug-in option on your car and it's not prewired for it, you'll likely be going aftermarket, although it would be possible to install one of the OEM Subaru mirrors- you'd just have to run the wires yourself.
There are two companies that manufacture these mirrors, Gentex and Donnelly. They supply the auto-dim mirrors used for OEM applications as well as aftermarket retailers. Either one can be installed in a Subaru as long as you get the proper "cam lock" type mount. The mirror sold by Subaru is a Donnelly and has a built-in compass display, other versions are available that also have outside temp display and/or map lights.
Check the classifieds on here for used Subaru mirrors, and Ebay for aftermarket ones. Do a search on both "Donnelly" and "Gentex".
Do any of these come with a clock as a feature? And thanks for the help too!!

Michael
humdinger4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Never seen one with a clock, don't think this is available. That's not a good place for a clock anyway, you wouldn't want to have to look up there for the time.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
kenbadger
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 209141
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver area
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
silver

Default Gntx-177

I am in the process of installing a GNTX-177 auto-dim mirror (from a GMC Sierra, ebay $25). Has temp sensor and compass. Only thing I need to find out is where the reverse circuit taps into, for overriding the dim feature when you are in reverse. Anyone know?
kenbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto-dimming rear view mirror wrx6fan Interior & Exterior Modification 23 04-10-2007 11:45 PM
Need to do anything special to add auto-dimming rear view mirror/compass to 06 STi ? FleaDog Interior & Exterior Modification 3 02-19-2006 11:11 PM
Auto dim rear view mirror 1998 outback,Best place to buy it from? humdinger4u Interior & Exterior Modification 1 06-05-2005 04:10 PM
Auto dim rear view mirror 1998 outback,Best place to buy it from? humdinger4u Outback Forum 0 06-05-2005 11:31 AM
compass/auto-dimming rear view mirror for MY00? TSDScooby Interior & Exterior Modification 7 03-23-2001 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.