Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
WarpedRotor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87390
Vehicle:
2001 RS2.5
1999 Forester

Question RS2.5 road wobble

I have a 2001 RS 2.5, with 120k miles, bone stock and well taken care of.
I have started to notice a wobble/shudder when on the freeway cruzing at 65 MPH through 75 MPH (give or take a MPH or two).
This is totally speed related, not RPM related. I have dropped it into neutral once it shudders and it continues to shudder until the speed drops near 60 MPH. I have used different wheels and tires, (from my friends WRX) had them balanced and had an alignment performed. It still shudders. Odd thing is that I think the shudder is more prominent after the alignment.
A service tech told me that it could be a bad CV boot or one of the driveline U-Joints going out. I do not know how to tell myself, I am motorcycle savvy not Subaru savvy, yet! The only thing making any noise would be the passenger headrest, dash cup holder and windshield visors when the shudder is at its worst. (for those that may ask what I hear when the stereo is off! )
Could this be springs and/or struts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am hesitant to drive the car much.

Loren McGrew
Mesa, Arizona
WarpedRotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
Millencolin!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88219
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1992 Legacy SS
EJ22t + 16g = :)

It is most likely the halfshaft axles up front, my brother had the same problem. Can you here a low vibrating constant noise too? I suggest try to pinpoint (if possible) where or what side of your car the noises and shudders are coming from and check out any possiblities.

But I think it is probably the axle.
Millencolin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
bongchild
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28352
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1993 1.8 helL (AWD)
'06 Corolla XRS!

heh, mine started doing something like that too. Does the shudder kinda come and go, or is it constant? For me it kicks in right when i hit 70 and oscillates between being bad and barely noticeable.
bongchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
WarpedRotor
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 RS2.5
1999 Forester

Bong, exactly like that!
Millen, I take it that in order to change the half shaft, I may as well replace the entire drive shaft?
If so, any suggestions on where to get quality ones at a good price?
I am a bit skeptical about ordering a rebuilt one from Checker or Autozone.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
pinter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86472
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS, 2x 1995
Impreza Coupe

If you can, just replace the one half-shaft that is making the vibration. Its cheeper that way.

I've used a rebuilt half-shaft from Schucks (I think thats that same as Checker) on my previous car with no problems. They aren't the ones that rebuild them, they get them from their distributer. Check how much a new one will cost you, they are sometimes only a couple bucks more than the rebuilds.
pinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
WarpedRotor
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 RS2.5
1999 Forester

I looked under the car at all of the CV joints on all four wheels. Both boots on each shaft were in good condition and not cracked. I did not lift the car but I did tug heavily on all four wheels hoping to hear or feel slack. There was not any to be found. I could not inspect the center drive shaft, it would be better with a lift.
Anyone want to take a stab at this?