Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-05-2001, 12:25 AM   #1
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Default What I learned about the EJ25. (part 2)

If anyone has been following my saga (anyone care? *shrug* It's documented, thats enough for me ) the old post is over here - http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=78066

So today I am putting my motor back together and I made a few more discoveries.

The phase I pistons are not only different in design (the square vs. normal valve reliefs), but they also use different secondary and oil rings. I'm not proud, but I had to cannibalize another top ring from the phase I pistons for the secondary ring on the new phase II piston, then I had to use my old oil ring on the new phase II piston. Yeah, it's a mess, but I don't expect it to run 100k or anything.

Also, Forester SOHC heads are the same as Impreza ones, I believe down to the cam and all - I swapped mine just to be sure though.

Impreza heads can actually use valve adjustments with only 25k on them. They must have had odd tolerances they followed at the factory because some of mine were tight and some of mine were loose - only a few were right on.

I'm sure more to come, but I figure I'd pile it on in spurts so that I wouldn't overload anyone.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
8Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 07:56 AM   #2
8Complex

Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Also forgot one thing... the phase II engine seems to be an interference engine - so watch that timing! No, I didn't find this out the hard way.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:29 PM   #3
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

hmm i thought ALL subaru engins were non interfearanc
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 7022
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited
SWP

8- you need a public access tv show
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 01:43 AM   #5
8Complex

Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Don't worry, one of these days I'll document all this stuff I am picking up properly and hopefully by then my car will be up and running well.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:52 AM   #6
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Vehicle:
99 Ver6 Recreation
JDM Speedwagon 3 LSDs..:)

Default School Time

Can you educate me on what a "interference" engine is?????
Never heard that term before....

BTW I am following your findings and Printing all the good stuff so when I build my engine...I will not have to worry about anything but Money.... Sorry your the Guinea Pig brother....But someone has to do it first.....
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 08:56 AM   #7
AlexM
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 855

An Interference engine is one where the pistons and valves occupy an overlapping area in the combustion chamber i.e. the pistons and valves would hit each other if you have a timing belt failure.

Cheers,

A.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 10:14 AM   #8
8Complex

Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

All I have to say is that the Subaru manuals are VERY little help in the way of timing the car. Basically the best help I got was from checking that the lines on the timing belt matched up to the lines on the cam and crank gears - and yes they are all there and can be lined up - take note that the notch that is BETWEEN teeth lines up with the driver's side cam gear notch that is also between teeth. The other two are on teeth and it's hard to mix up as long as you get everything in line.

The strangest part to me is that when you turn the driver's side cam gear to put the mark vertical on it, the valves are in an open state - fortunately they can kinda 'balance' there so you don't have to struggle too much.

Also, I found that the easiest way to get the belt on and in place was to remove the lower tensioner (lower pass. side) and the reinstall when the belt is all in place.

Oh, and if you've got ANY sanity, try not to do the head bolt tightening sequences more then once... I can only imagine a Japanese manual writer laughing his arse off after he wrote those.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:45 AM   #9
ColinL
Scooby Guru

Member#: 114
Vehicle:
'03 Evo, Rice White
'01 Erion CBR 929

head tightening sequences are often like that, especially for all-alloy motors. the sequence is setup to arrive at a particular torque at a particular installed thread depth without warping anything or pulling the threads. same deal for removal.

I agree on the timing. I thought it was fairly easy though, as the SOHC valvetrain will only stay at rest every 90 degrees. it's hard to screw it up...
ColinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 11:42 AM   #10
8Complex

Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Colin - This was at rest at a 45 mark (from full closed on all valves), actually. Gotta admit, it was the strangest way I think I've ever seen an engine timed.

As for the head bolts, I suppose so... it's just unbelievable the hoops you have to go through.

Torque all down to 22ftlb. alphabetically
Torque all to 51 the same way.
Back off all 180 in the same order.
Back off 180 again.
Tighten center two bolts to 25ftlb. in order
Tighten outside 4 bolts to 12ftlb. (IIRC).
Tighten all bolts in order 90
Then repeat 90 again once that is done.

Now don't touch because you're done.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:21 PM   #11
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Wow, that kinda makes me not want to pull off the heads

I didn't really have any problems setting the timing after I removed my timing belt. I just lined everything up and forced the belt on. I did have the loaded valve springs on the drivers side head though.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote