Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:56 AM   #1
shakattk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6211
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Question anyone know how to connect subaru sub to aftermarket deck?

I'm thinking of getting a new deck for my WRX and am wondering if anyone has installed the factory sub in a similar setting? If so, I'd like to know what wiring is on the sub and how it would connect to the new deck. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shakattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 11:21 AM   #2
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

i recently swapped out the head unit in my car and upon removing the factory 6-disc, i noticed that there was a large wiring dongle that went between the factory plug and the factory 6dosc changer. With this thing in place, everything worked. With this thing not in place, the sub did not work. I'm guessing that with an aftermarket stereo and the correct adapter to fit your car, you won't need anything else to make the factory sub work.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 11:39 AM   #3
dscottf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3312
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Wagon
Sapphire Blue

Default Re: using factory sub with aftermarket head

nhluhr is correct, that "dongle" is the "T-connector" for the sub (it connects to incoming power, ground and the rear speaker outputs).

If you use a "factory wiring harness adapter" to connect your new head to the "dongle " (as if it were the factory wiring harness) your sub will still work. Mine does.

Scott
dscottf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 12:47 PM   #4
shakattk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6211
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Talking

thanks a lot, guys.

just to confirm, i will need to get a harness that plugs into the existing harness that originally plugged into the factory deck? my factory sub is not yet installed and i want to be sure to get the right harness.
shakattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 01:42 PM   #5
dscottf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3312
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Wagon
Sapphire Blue

Default harness

Correct. Most installers (dealers) sell them for about $20. They are bare wires on one end and a plug on the other that mimics theone in the factory head unit. Solder (not twist or crimp!) the leads from the head unit (usually on a separate harnass that plugs into the new head) to the leads together, plug the sub "T connector" to the plug in the dash, your new "adaptor harness" (that you put together) into the sub's "T-connector" and into your head unit.

Scott
dscottf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 09:25 PM   #6
RBlue
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7597
Default Off topic-WRX sub

This is a bit off topic, but I sold my factory sub to a guy that thought he had the factory plug for the sub to find out he didnt...any way to get the sub working with the factory head unit without the whole harness??? I don't want to feel like I ripped the guy off.

I have replaced my entire system but the harness wasn't taken out from under the dash and the sub connection is still in the original spot.

How can I help this guy out.....BTW I have the factory head unit for sale if anyones interested
RBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:37 AM   #7
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Crimping works fine if you know what you're doing. I've crimped stereo connections for about eight years without a single problem. Soldiering is better, but it's awkward inside the car.

If somebody has the wiring scheme for the stock sub you can splice into it. Or you could just pop your stereo out and pull it through and ship it to the guy.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote