Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
w chapman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 75673
Default Which Yr engines will replace a 1999 DOHC 2.5L

Just purchased a 1999 Outback Limited with terrible "death rattle" in the engine..a DOHC 2.5L.

As I shop for a replacement, I need to know which engines (year/Subaru model ??) are compatible to replace this engine.

I have a couple of Subaru engines.....a 99 2.2L and also a SOHC 2.5L from a 1999 Forester, but no DOHC 2.5L...love to put the SOHC 2.5L in...but I've heard there are a lot of differences/obstacles to this swap.....i.e would not be plug and play.

I'm a big fan of the early 2.2Ls ...and have put several into VW Vanagons..but not much experience with the the DOHC 2.5L. I know the DOHC 2.5L has a reputation for a lot of problems.

Any comments...tips...appreciated.

Anyone have a known good 2.5L FS ??

Warren Chapman
Founder/Moderator
SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group
Mill Valley, CA
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
w chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

The 97-99 Legacy GT and Outback will have the DOHC 2.5, though some later Outbacks have been known to have Phase II SOHC blocks. The 98 2.5RS was the only Impreza with the Phase I.

As for swapping in...i'll leave that to the "experts" Finding a way to get the Phase II SOHC engine in would be my vote.
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
ImprezaRallystyle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48918
Vehicle:
2006 Forester XT
1993 impreza RALLY

Smile

if i'm right the difference between dohc and sohc is in the motor heads. d stand for double cam and s for single cam. is the sound comming from the heads or more from piston and crank cuz twincam have heating heads problem and on the other side single cam have piston problem. i dont think you would have any major problem swapping maybe a few sensor that you will need to keep from the old motor like temp sensor but all the major one are the same ( crank sensor,cam sensor, fuel injector, coil, etc...)

if you want you can keep the short bloc from your dohc and fit the single head cam on, it will work good ) as long as you use the twincam head gasket.

any motor from 1996 late production till 1999 fits.
as long as they are ej25

Last edited by ImprezaRallystyle; 06-29-2005 at 12:44 PM.
ImprezaRallystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Do what he said. That death rattle is most likely rod knock. Just pull the SOHC heads off of the Forester engine and use the block with your DOHC heads. Both the '99 Forester and '99 Outback should have phase II bottom ends. And IIRC, that Forester block should have an oil cooler attached to boot...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
w chapman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 75673
Default Death Rattle

The '99 2.5L currently in the Outback....sounds awful....like a big diesel....serious knocking...sometimes changes pitch/loudness...sometimes sounds minor, like a stuck hydraulic lifter...sometimes very loud...like a big diesel at idle.

I guess I could take my '99 SOHC apart for the shortblock.....but hate to dismantle a complete engine....that I paid a fiar amount for....not to mention all the labor involved.....still hoping to find a complete DOHC 2.5L or at least a good longblock.

If I find one, I'll probably replace the head gaskets, timing belt, and seals..for insurance.......are there new "preferred" headgaskets available....after all the history of hg problems ?

Warren C.
w chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Well,
The DOHC heads don't have hydraulic lifters. They have solid buckets that you adjust lash with shims. If it really is the heads, either you have knocked a lobe off of a cam, or spit a shim out. Either one is not an easy fix. You could easily find out by removing the valve covers with the engine in the car and turning it over by hand. If there is something wrong with the heads, you will see.

OR, just maybe you have the timing off by a tooth. But my money is on the bottom end.

Beyond that, changing the heads from one engine to the other is pretty straightforward and easy. But if you are set on going shopping for a drop in replacment, a '97-99 DOHC Ej25 is the ticket...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote