Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
subafreak
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 35882
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
91 Legacy Turbo
Pearl

Default Cracked windshields, under warranty?

Well it happened already, my wife got about a 6 inch crack in the windshield that seems to have come out of nowhere. There is no real hole or chip anywhere along the fault line and since it first appered is has grown about 10inches across the window.

She said in wasn't there one second and she stopped at home, ran inside, came back out and it was there

I thought I remembered alot of threads about this happening on the BAJAs? We haven't even had it a year and now I might have to shell out $250 deduct for a new one. I've had Subaru's for years and I've never had a windshield crack, even with brutal off roading and tail-gating of sanding trucks.

I've got to bring it in for a leaking tranny axle seal and was thinking of asking them about the fixing the windshield for me. But I will probly need a little more ammo than my own complaint, so what have we got??????
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
2003Baja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52985
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

My replacement was 175. They did a crappy job when it came to the silicone (big blob/run if you look hard) but it came out good.
2003Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
ez bturbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56048
Vehicle:
2004 baja turbo 5spd
black/dark gray

Mine did the same thing. Huge stress fracture as I was driving, just starting cracking. I took it to the dealership and they found what they claimed was a rock chip, which even with the guy showing me where to move my hand over I didnt feel anything. You certainly couldnt see anything, and if the glass was uneven it was uneven by maybe a piece of sand. My comp was $250, but windshield was only $100.
ez bturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Samirr76
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4835
Vehicle:
2003 Baja 5MT
Yellow w/ 220,000 miles

It should be covered under your 3/36 if theres no stone chips. The official test is to run a ball point pen along the line of the crack if it gets hung up anywhere along the line, theres your stone chip and it wont be covered. Save yourself a trip to the dealer and test it yourself.
Samirr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
subafreak
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
91 Legacy Turbo
Pearl

Well I will check it out with the pen test, but I still don't care, I will show them 20 chips in my wagon windshield that have never cracked; and that thing is so rotted I can park it on a rock and not be able to close the hatch.

If that doesn't get me anywere I guess I will have it out with my insurace company. We've been insuring cars with them for almost 10 years and only made two small claimes, and they can't cover one window.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Seahag1978
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79452

Hey Jess, hope you're all well!

Make sure you watch the installer. There are a lot of hacks out there replacing windshields (especially here, in MA where glass is covered with no deductible). I get at least one call a week from glass companies asking if I have a cracked windshield. It's big business here.

Anyway, be sure he uses a special metal sealant around the opening. Small scratches will happen when they remove the old glass, it can't be helped. If the scratches aren't sealed properly, it will lead to rusting and a leak with a year or two.

I have had around 10 windshields replaced/repaired within the past 3 years, (I have VERY bad luck). Anyway, the sealant wasn't used in one replacement (that I know of) and luckily within a month it needed to be replaced again, the next installer discovered it was already rusted underneath. He explained that he sees it a lot because many of the installers don't take the extra 2 minutes to seal the scratches.

I would suggest having it repaired, but the crack is way too big... it can't exceed 6 inches.

Oh, insist on Subaru glass... most aftermarket glass is full of defects... check for waves, ripples and distortions. I have had some serious problems in that department... the glass was so distorted that I got carsick while driving...

Take care!
Seahag1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Samirr76
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4835
Vehicle:
2003 Baja 5MT
Yellow w/ 220,000 miles

I've had better luck w/ aftermarket glass. Ran about $235 installed for my WRX. Subaru glass was going to run me $500 to $800, just because it comes from Japan.
Samirr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
Seahag1978
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79452

In one case, aftermarket glass was actually better than the OEM. I had wavy windshield in a brand new Hyundai. They replaced it and it had the same problem. It apparently was the Hyundai glass for that model, it was just weird... things would shrink and grow as I passed by them, it made me carsick while driving and the dispersion of light across the glass at night was dangerous. I asked the dealer to try replacing it with an aftermarket substitute and they flat out refused. I called Hyundai corporate and without question, they ok'ed the aftermarket replacement to be done through another dealership and they covered it under warranty. The aftermarket glass was just fine...

One installer was explaining that some of the lesser quality glass manufacturers don't cool the glass properly and it causes the glass to "slump" and that's how the "waves" happen. Also, if a person wears eyeglasses they don't notice the distortions because they already have a certain degree of distortion from their eyeglass lenses.
Seahag1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
subafreak
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
91 Legacy Turbo
Pearl

I bought a pair of sunglasses like that at WallMart. It took me few seconds to figure out what the hell was going on, but hate them.

We deal with the same glass company at the shop for all our windshield needs so I trust there work. If I end up having to pay for it myself it will be thru them.