Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default GT Brakes on standard Legacy?

Do the larger Legacy GT rotors and calipers fit the standard legacy? I have 16" Wheels already. What about the 4 piston wrx calipers?

Thanks
Brian
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Jonathan
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4021
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Natick, MA USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Default

What model Legacy are you using ?

I am in the process of getting parts to convert my 1996 Legacy "L" (Front disc, Rear Drums) to a four wheel disc braking system.

My understanding is for the front you want to replace the front single piston calipers to the dual piston calipers and get the slightly larger Rotors and backing plates (The backing plate is what the calipers bolt on to). If you use 2nd generation Legacy (95-99) parts you can use 15" or 16" wheels. If you spring for the WRX parts you MUST use 16" wheels as the rotor, and backing plate are slightly larger. (15" wheels will not clear the calipers)

I wasn't aware that the stock WRX used 4 piston calipers.

Has anyone done a Legacy drum to RS/WRX Rear disc swap ?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

To give you the best advice we would need to know what exact setup you are starting with because you need to consider how swapping calipers/rotors will affect brake bias.

If its the single piston front calipers they should be on 260mm rotors.

Where are you located? If your WRXs come stock with 4pots, likely somewhere other than the US.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
What model Legacy are you using ?

I am in the process of getting parts to convert my 1996 Legacy "L" (Front disc, Rear Drums) to a four wheel disc braking system.

My understanding is for the front you want to replace the front single piston calipers to the dual piston calipers and get the slightly larger Rotors and backing plates (The backing plate is what the calipers bolt on to). If you use 2nd generation Legacy (95-99) parts you can use 15" or 16" wheels. If you spring for the WRX parts you MUST use 16" wheels as the rotor, and backing plate are slightly larger. (15" wheels will not clear the calipers)

I wasn't aware that the stock WRX used 4 piston calipers.

Has anyone done a Legacy drum to RS/WRX Rear disc swap ?
Jonathan the front brakes bolt directly to the front knuckle, not a backing plate. There is also a minor dust shield bolted to the front knuckle as well but it doesnt HAVE to be swapped when upsizing rotors. All Subaru front calipers I have ever seen since 1990 use the same front caliper bolt spacing and all will bolt up to any Subaru front knuckle. You could bolt 04 STi front Brembos to a 1990 Legacy L for instance.

The rear calipers do have a backing plate(its bolted to the rear knuckles) to which the calipers attach and there are several varieties of these plates based on application:

single pot rear with 170mm handbrake(most common)
single pot rear with 190mm handbrake
2pot non-Brembo with 170mm handbrake
2pot non-Brembo with 190mm handbrake
2pot Brembo with 190mm handbrake

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Jonathan]What model Legacy are you using ?

My Legacy is the L model it has the single pot calipers.

Jonathan]I wasn't aware that the stock WRX used 4 piston calipers.

subysouth] Where are you located? If your WRXs come stock with 4pots, likely somewhere other than the US.


I think the 4 pot I read about were JDM calipers. I'm Washington State, USA.

If I'm reading this right, any factory brakes will bolt on the front. providing my wheels are big enough. and on the rear I may need to change the backing plate.

I'll measure mine out this weekend to see where I'm starting, I have to get better brakes on this thing. I live at 1200 Feet elevation and drop to 200 feet in about a mile on a tight twisty road.

Thanks
Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
ooberdoob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70418
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Greenville, SC
Vehicle:
Five Subarus later I
drive a lifted TJ.

Default

see that QUOTE button in the bottom corner of each post? you can use that to reply to questions, etc if you like. i didn't know if you had noticed it... it took me... too long to see it.

i vote go directly to the subaru 4pots. might as well go for the good stuff. if i had the $ i would, and i have a 98 GT my brakes are ok, but there is much better thats for sure.
ooberdoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm
Jonathan]What model Legacy are you using ?

My Legacy is the L model it has the single pot calipers.

Jonathan]I wasn't aware that the stock WRX used 4 piston calipers.

subysouth] Where are you located? If your WRXs come stock with 4pots, likely somewhere other than the US.


I think the 4 pot I read about were JDM calipers. I'm Washington State, USA.

If I'm reading this right, any factory brakes will bolt on the front. providing my wheels are big enough. and on the rear I may need to change the backing plate.

I'll measure mine out this weekend to see where I'm starting, I have to get better brakes on this thing. I live at 1200 Feet elevation and drop to 200 feet in about a mile on a tight twisty road.

Thanks
Brian
Unless you want to go real exotic(2pots or SVX brakes for some reason), you wont need to change rear backing plates.

What model is you Legacy and we can tell you what brakes you should have.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Jonathan
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4021
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Natick, MA USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
What model is your Legacy and we can tell you what brakes you should have.
I beleive that bpimm mentions that he has a 1998 Legacy "L" which has the single piston front calipers and slightly smaller front rotors and rear drum brakes. (?) I could be wrong on this though.

I am assuming that bpimm will be swapping out his tiny front rotors for the slightly larger Legacy GT or even bigger WRX front rotors AND will be utilizing the two piston front calipers. Assuming he were to stick with the stock size rotors then yes he can just bolt on the two-piston calipers, but IF he is indeed getting the larger rotors, he will need to alter the mounting point of his calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Jonathan the front brakes bolt directly to the front knuckle, not a backing plate. There is also a minor dust shield bolted to the front knuckle as well but it doesnt HAVE to be swapped when upsizing rotors.
To the best of my knowlege (which may be faulty) the calipers attach to what i would call a backing plate that he will need to have swapped in order to properly fit the larger diameter rotors. I will be double checking my information here, as I do not wish to give out faulty/bad advice.

At any rate if you install larger front brakes, you should also upgrade the rear brakes as well so as to keep the effective front/rear braking balance the same.

Last edited by Jonathan; 07-28-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Unless you want to go real exotic(2pots or SVX brakes for some reason), you wont need to change rear backing plates.

What model is you Legacy and we can tell you what brakes you should have.

ss
1998 L 4 dr sedan

I don't want to go exotic, I just want brakes that will stop me and not warp the rotors.

I will be autocrossing it some so better performance is desirable however I don't want to take out a second mortgage to fund the brakes.

Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I beleive that bpimm mentions that he has a 1998 Legacy "L" which has the single piston front calipers and slightly smaller front rotors and rear drum brakes. (?) I could be wrong on this though.

I am assuming that bpimm will be swapping out his tiny front rotors for the slightly larger Legacy GT or even bigger WRX front rotors AND will be utilizing the two piston front calipers. Assuming he were to stick with the stock size rotors then yes he can just bolt on the two-piston calipers, but IF he is indeed getting the larger rotors, he will need to alter the mounting point of his calipers.


To the best of my knowlege (which may be faulty) the calipers attach to what i would call a backing plate that he will need to swapped in order to properly fit the larger diameter rotors. I will be double checking my information here, as I do not wish to give out faulty/bad advice.

At any rate if you install larger front brakes, you should also upgrade the rear brakes as well so as to keep the effective front/rear braking balance the same.

Missed the L model part.

If its an L, it has single piston front calipers with 260mm discs and rear drums.

A tricky upgrade to maintain or improve on bias. I would recommend searching for posts on this topic in the brakes forum.

Jonathan, re-read my above post. Front calipers do not bolt to backing plates, they bolt directly to the front knuckles. All variance for rotor size is made up in caliper braket height(sliders) or mounting ear height(opposed.) The rears as I noted do use backing plates, largely as a mounting surface for the drum handbrake internals.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
Jonathan
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4021
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Natick, MA USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Jonathan, re-read my above post. Front calipers do not bolt to backing plates, they bolt directly to the front knuckles. All variance for rotor size is made up in caliper braket height(sliders) or mounting ear height(opposed.) The rears as I noted do use backing plates, largely as a mounting surface for the drum handbrake internals.
Yes. I was wrong. Sorry about that.
Ravensblade-imprezza did an article on uprgading the older Impreza RS to the newer WRX brake setup sometime ago. I beleive the older style (Pre-2001 CG8) RS's utilized the same front braking setup as the Legacy GT. This article specifically mentions "caliper brakets" (not "backing plates") which are larger on the WRX to accomadate the larger rotor size.

http://www.northursalia.com/m.../wrxbrake.html
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Yes. I was wrong. Sorry about that.
Ravensblade-imprezza did an article on uprgading the older Impreza RS to the newer WRX brake setup sometime ago. I beleive the older style (Pre-2001 CG8) RS's utilized the same front braking setup as the Legacy GT. This article specifically mentions "caliper brakets" (not "backing plates") which are larger on the WRX to accomadate the larger rotor size.

http://www.northursalia.com/m.../wrxbrake.html

No need to apologize, you live you learn.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Missed the L model part.

If its an L, it has single piston front calipers with 260mm discs and rear drums.

A tricky upgrade to maintain or improve on bias. I would recommend searching for posts on this topic in the brakes forum.

ss
Actually it has rear disk that I am planning to upgrade. but the warped fronts have to go now.

Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #14
subiekid
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25516
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Send help, stuck in internet!
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy TURBO!!!
EJ22T/TEC3 & '12 Civic

Default

Most people sell WRX brakes for around 250. You need caliper brackets, calipers, and rotors. If you can try and get the stock heat shields from a WRX it would also make the project a little easier. You could also upgrade to SS lines since you will have to bleed the system any ways.

What size of BMC do you have? Is it a two port BMC?

Since you have rear drums you will also need to get the rear hub from the car that you are getting the brakes from. I would just go with WRX parts because they are easier to find than GT parts.
subiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #15
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiekid
Most people sell WRX brakes for around 250. You need caliper brackets, calipers, and rotors. If you can try and get the stock heat shields from a WRX it would also make the project a little easier. You could also upgrade to SS lines since you will have to bleed the system any ways.

What size of BMC do you have? Is it a two port BMC?

Since you have rear drums you will also need to get the rear hub from the car that you are getting the brakes from. I would just go with WRX parts because they are easier to find than GT parts.
Thanks subiekid,

Thats what I was thinking, I'll have to hit the salvage yards and see what I can find. It already has disk on the rear so I will upgrade them later.

Ok I'm drawing a blank, What's a BMC?

Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #16
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Doh, looked at the wrong column.

98 L:
single pot fronts with 260mm rotors
single pot rears with 266x10mm rotors

You are gonna need to upgrade the rears as well if you upgrade the fronts.

Going from your fronts to:

277mm/2pots(Leg GT,RS et al) = +21% front torque
294mm/2pots(WRX et al) = +30% front torque
294mm/4pots(non-Brembo) = +17% front torque

The Subaru chassis is already overly front biased, as you can see from the above improving only the fronts seriously worsens this situation. You will likely increase your stopping distances and may have pre-mature front lockup.

I would try to do the rears first.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #17
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Doh, looked at the wrong column.

98 L:
single pot fronts with 260mm rotors
single pot rears with 266x10mm rotors

You are gonna need to upgrade the rears as well if you upgrade the fronts.

Going from your fronts to:

277mm/2pots(Leg GT,RS et al) = +21% front torque
294mm/2pots(WRX et al) = +30% front torque
294mm/4pots(non-Brembo) = +17% front torque

The Subaru chassis is already overly front biased, as you can see from the above improving only the fronts seriously worsens this situation. You will likely increase your stopping distances and may have pre-mature front lockup.

I would try to do the rears first.

ss

I will look for a WRX to scavange for parts, I'm going to do all four but the fronts are first, the existing rotors are warped and have to be replaced asap.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll assume its the same for my son's 92 Legacy L also. He's standing behind me drooling right now.

Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #18
Jonathan
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4021
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Natick, MA USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiekid
What size of BMC do you have? Is it a two port BMC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm
Ok I'm drawing a blank, What's a BMC?
Brake Master Cylinder might be a good guess.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #19
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm
I will look for a WRX to scavange for parts, I'm going to do all four but the fronts are first, the existing rotors are warped and have to be replaced asap.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll assume its the same for my son's 92 Legacy L also. He's standing behind me drooling right now.

Brian
Lemme try to explain the larger picture. You need to maintain stock bias or somewhat increase rear torque compared to the fronts to improve braking performance. There are two sources for brake torque from the braking system, one fixed or inherent and the other variable. The above stats are for inherent or fixed changes based on increasing piston area and/or effective disc radius. The variable component is pad coefficient of friction.


The inherent torque increase of going with the "H6"(short term for the 2000-04 Legacy rear setup using the 290x10mm rotors) rear versus your stock rear setup would be ~+10%. And adding 10% to the rear torque is about an ideal bias improvement in general as a rule of thumb. For the rears you need to look for a 2000-04 Legacy with rear discs in the salvage yard. You need to get the loaded calipers with brackets and rotors.

So adding the rears alone and maintaining equal pad material front and rear would be a solution in itself. And as you can see by upgrading to any of the oem fronts would not only negate that inherent rear improvement but further front bias an already front-biased chassis, decreasing braking performanc of the car.

So you have to get a plan together before upgrading the fronts. The only advantage to increasing front rotor size is in increasing heat capacity or fade resistance. While thats a good thing, its unlikely youre fading your brakes at all or rarely at best and giving up braking performance IMO is not worth increasing rarely necessary heat capacity.

Legacy777 had the same stock setup as yours and had to go to the great length of swapping master cylinder and proportioning valve to get a near stock bias condition using WRX fronts and B4/GT-B rears(same torque output as "H6".)

You can dial some additional rear brake torque in to counter a front upgrade by using a higher coefficient of friction rear pad, but you would need to research both front and rear pad coefficients.

Hope that all makes sense.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #20
bpimm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92253
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washougal, WA
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subysouth
Lemme try to explain the larger picture. You need to maintain stock bias or somewhat increase rear torque compared to the fronts to improve braking performance. There are two sources for brake torque from the braking system, one fixed or inherent and the other variable. The above stats are for inherent or fixed changes based on increasing piston area and/or effective disc radius. The variable component is pad coefficient of friction.


The inherent torque increase of going with the "H6"(short term for the 2000-04 Legacy rear setup using the 290x10mm rotors) rear versus your stock rear setup would be ~+10%. And adding 10% to the rear torque is about an ideal bias improvement in general as a rule of thumb. For the rears you need to look for a 2000-04 Legacy with rear discs in the salvage yard. You need to get the loaded calipers with brackets and rotors.

So adding the rears alone and maintaining equal pad material front and rear would be a solution in itself. And as you can see by upgrading to any of the oem fronts would not only negate that inherent rear improvement but further front bias an already front-biased chassis, decreasing braking performanc of the car.

So you have to get a plan together before upgrading the fronts. The only advantage to increasing front rotor size is in increasing heat capacity or fade resistance. While thats a good thing, its unlikely youre fading your brakes at all or rarely at best and giving up braking performance IMO is not worth increasing rarely necessary heat capacity.

Legacy777 had the same stock setup as yours and had to go to the great length of swapping master cylinder and proportioning valve to get a near stock bias condition using WRX fronts and B4/GT-B rears(same torque output as "H6".)

You can dial some additional rear brake torque in to counter a front upgrade by using a higher coefficient of friction rear pad, but you would need to research both front and rear pad coefficients.

Hope that all makes sense.

ss

Yes, it sounds like the H6 rears would be the way to go if brake performance was the only issue, however dropping 1000 feet in elevation in about a mile of twisty road (Fun Road) every time I leave home I do have a tendency to heat and fade the brakes. the first time I pushed it down the hill I only made it halfway before noticing the brakes fading. The last 1/4 mile of the hill is a 20% grade with a stop at the bottom.

So my main reason for the upgrade is to get the heat capacity and fade resistance up as much as possible. and granted the increase in the rears would lighten the load on the fronts, but I don't think it would be enough by itself. so my plan is to get the biggest brakes possible on the front for heat dissipation and then work on the rears to get them up to match the fronts. Swapping master cylinders and proportioning valve is a possibility.

Maybe Legacy777 can give me a rundown of what he had to do. Please.

Thanks

Brian
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #21
plasticguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70345
Join Date: Sep 2004
Default

get the whole wrx front set-up, change your brake lines, flush out all the old brake fluid (from all four calipers and lines and ABS accumulator according to the factory procedure) and switch it over to a good DOT4 fluid, and you are all set

you won't have completely stock brake bias, but you'll be fine. If you want to upgrade your rear pads, now would be the time.
plasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #22
Huffer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 36735
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wellington,NZ / Willoughby,OH
Vehicle:
99 GF8 Impreza 2.0
2= 1998 BD + BK Legacy GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Has anyone done a Legacy drum to RS/WRX Rear disc swap ?
I did a drum to 1pot conversion on my Impreza (ok, I organized the parts and had someone else do it). I was swapping out suspension at the same time so it was easy/easier.

My braking, even on stock pads and rotors, was so much better. When I hit the whoa pedal, it didn't feel like the rear of the car was going to pile into me.

The new suspension helped reduce nosedive too...
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #23
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm
Yes, it sounds like the H6 rears would be the way to go if brake performance was the only issue, however dropping 1000 feet in elevation in about a mile of twisty road (Fun Road) every time I leave home I do have a tendency to heat and fade the brakes. the first time I pushed it down the hill I only made it halfway before noticing the brakes fading. The last 1/4 mile of the hill is a 20% grade with a stop at the bottom.

So my main reason for the upgrade is to get the heat capacity and fade resistance up as much as possible. and granted the increase in the rears would lighten the load on the fronts, but I don't think it would be enough by itself. so my plan is to get the biggest brakes possible on the front for heat dissipation and then work on the rears to get them up to match the fronts. Swapping master cylinders and proportioning valve is a possibility.

Maybe Legacy777 can give me a rundown of what he had to do. Please.

Thanks

Brian

It is viable if you want to invest the additional money and time.

And on a side note, brake fade can be entierly eliminated on your stock rotors with pad and fluid upgrades.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:17 PM   #24
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticguy
get the whole wrx front set-up, change your brake lines, flush out all the old brake fluid (from all four calipers and lines and ABS accumulator according to the factory procedure) and switch it over to a good DOT4 fluid, and you are all set

you won't have completely stock brake bias, but you'll be fine. If you want to upgrade your rear pads, now would be the time.
Youre advising someone to setup an unsafe braking situation on their car.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #25
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

I hope somebody will still read this thread. I have a 98' LGT and the problem is that (1) slipe pin bolt broke and I could not remove the piece that is left inside the caliper bracket. Is this part interchangeable with the single piston legacy front disk brakes? How about the slide pins? There is no other 98 LGT on Guam most common are the "L" Wagons.





GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legacy GT brakes on GC8 with WRX rear end KAX Brakes, Steering & Suspension 3 10-15-2006 11:14 AM
98 legacy GT brakes on a 97 impreza L ImprezaSti'd Brakes, Steering & Suspension 2 10-05-2006 12:27 AM
Legacy GT Brakes on WRX Brake Line Problem Aegon Brakes, Steering & Suspension 28 05-22-2006 06:34 PM
Looking for more feedback on the 05 Legacy GT brakes on a WRX Drew888 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 62 09-11-2005 12:53 AM
05 Legacy GT Brakes on 03 WRX 84SubaruDL Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 10 03-11-2005 09:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.