Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
drevilrocker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92078
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Vehicle:
04 WRX Sedan
Red

Default Stock 205-55/16 RE92 Bridgestone

How long (mileage) can I expect the 205-55/16 RE92 Bridgestone tires I got from the dealership to last?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
drevilrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

Depends on how hard you are on them. Mine have 12k on them and show some pretty good wear. I would guess they will go 25k?
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
WRXSleeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43853
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Methuen, MA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan Stg 2
Platinum Silver

Default

my GFs aunt has them on her legacy and has 42k on them. she needs new ones soon, so she is buying mine so i can get snow tires.

it all comes down to how hard you drive, but since these tires blow just burn them up so you can get new ones sooner.
WRXSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

....for me, they would last just exactly as long as it took to get some other tires on the car and the re92 in a fire somewhere.

I pitty you if you actually BOUGHT them from the dealer.......they are not the worst possible tires, just almost......


do some research and don't buy junk tires again, it makes baby jesus cry when people actually BUY re92's
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Murf_68
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71191
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
it makes baby jesus cry when people actually BUY re92's
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!
Murf_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
drevilrocker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92078
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Vehicle:
04 WRX Sedan
Red

Default

I didn't "buy" them. They came with the car. The reason I asked the question was that I hoped someone would say 10 miles, and I could feel better about burning them. I think baby satan works at the dealership.
drevilrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
drevilrocker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92078
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Vehicle:
04 WRX Sedan
Red

Default

Okay, Uncle Scotty: I have my eye on 4 Gold SSR GT2 18x8 wheels. If I do get them, then what tires should I get for them?
drevilrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Free shipping....no tax if not shipped from your state....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...64&rd=16&ar=45




...for stock wheels

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 07-30-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Psydotek
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44168
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: In your pant[ie]s.
Vehicle:
2003 Yellow WRX
with too many lights...

Default

My original RE92s went for 49k miles. Then i went with Azenis Sports... And now some Pzero nero M+S.
Psydotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilrocker
Okay, Uncle Scotty: I have my eye on 4 Gold SSR GT2 18x8 wheels. If I do get them, then what tires should I get for them?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...23&rd=18&ar=40
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

I do not think the original tires are that bad, if you keep in mind what the original purpose of a WRX is?
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #12
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtJnky
I do not think the original tires are that bad, if you keep in mind what the original purpose of a WRX is?



....d00d....the re92 suck balls in just about every catagory.....they are v-rated AS tires....THAT is why they are on the car, stock....that is all.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
....d00d....the re92 suck balls in just about every catagory.....they are v-rated AS tires....THAT is why they are on the car, stock....that is all.
They are on the car cause their v-rated a/s tires? And the car is supposed to come from a rally heritage? That would involve; High speed, All season, and dirt/gravel, which the RE-92's are capable of! Not drag racing and not road racing but going balls out down a dirt road.
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

PS> Your last post was awesome, it covered so much and had so much to offer the original thread I think we should sticky it?
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 AM   #15
ripvw
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 27790
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtJnky
I do not think the original tires are that bad, if you keep in mind what the original purpose of a WRX is?
well, for the last 4 years the only 2 places in the world that have been "special" enough to get 16x6.5 alloys and 205/55x16 V-rated A/S tires on the WRX are the US and Canada. However, that is not what defines a WRX.

The rest of the world has had from the beginning a WRX with 17x7 alloys, 215/45x17 summer tires, 4-pot front/2-pot rear brakes, higher output engine due to high octane gas - get the picture? The WRX was designed to be a high-speed ROAD car. It may have a rally-inspired heritage, but the out-of-the-box "world" WRX was designed to be run on tarmac - not gravel. Finally recognizing that fact, SOA is bringing the world WRX to us in '06 - no thanks to people like you who have been telling them that all-season tires on skinny 16" alloys are adequate for a car with 230 hp and a top speed of over 140 mph.

As to the tires in question, they are tolerable in the dry - squeal and slide quite a bit which some people like - but truly pathetic in the wet. This is not open to interpretation - the RE92's have been objectively tested and found lacking:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...llseason_c.jsp

it is also probably the most negatively rated tire in TireRack's subjective tire surveys:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...l=Potenza+RE92

or do a search on RE92 on this board and find out what enthusiast WRX owners really think about the tires you labeled as being "not that bad". By comparison, Uncle Scotty was being charitable...
ripvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

People like me? What kind of people am I. The tires fit the cars intended purpose, here in the states. If you want a factory racecar, buy an STI? I understand the tire has never received great marks for anything but it does the job it is supposed to do, It's v-rated a/s m&s. It also provides enough traction to be fun but is slippery enough to keep joe blow from killing himself? Up until a couple years ago JDM STI's had the same "skinny 16" alloy's" and they were more then adequite for a car with more then 230hp champ!!!!!!!!!
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #17
blokespeed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 89228
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy
Vehicle:
02 WRX
blinding white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilrocker
How long (mileage) can I expect the 205-55/16 RE92 Bridgestone tires I got from the dealership to last?
Burn them or dump them, they are the worst tire ever for a wrx, as soon as I changed mine it felt like the car would handle.
blokespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #18
cooleyjb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 55727
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
#533 Spec Racer Ford

Default

I love this attitude. It means I can get RE92 for my beater tires for nothing and spend all my money on race tires and parts that aren't needed for daily driving.

There is nothing you should be doing in your WRX on the street that the RE92 can't handle. If you are it's illegal.

I'm not saying there aren't better choices but if you want to spend 400 dollars or more every 20,000 be my guest. I'll just get a new set for 50 bucks every 30,000 and have more money for racin.

I'm in no way saying you or your opinion is bad, I'm just saying I love it for the fact that I get cheap tires because of it. Don't want to hurt any feelings.

joe


Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvw
well, for the last 4 years the only 2 places in the world that have been "special" enough to get 16x6.5 alloys and 205/55x16 V-rated A/S tires on the WRX are the US and Canada. However, that is not what defines a WRX.

The rest of the world has had from the beginning a WRX with 17x7 alloys, 215/45x17 summer tires, 4-pot front/2-pot rear brakes, higher output engine due to high octane gas - get the picture? The WRX was designed to be a high-speed ROAD car. It may have a rally-inspired heritage, but the out-of-the-box "world" WRX was designed to be run on tarmac - not gravel. Finally recognizing that fact, SOA is bringing the world WRX to us in '06 - no thanks to people like you who have been telling them that all-season tires on skinny 16" alloys are adequate for a car with 230 hp and a top speed of over 140 mph.

As to the tires in question, they are tolerable in the dry - squeal and slide quite a bit which some people like - but truly pathetic in the wet. This is not open to interpretation - the RE92's have been objectively tested and found lacking:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...llseason_c.jsp

it is also probably the most negatively rated tire in TireRack's subjective tire surveys:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...l=Potenza+RE92

or do a search on RE92 on this board and find out what enthusiast WRX owners really think about the tires you labeled as being "not that bad". By comparison, Uncle Scotty was being charitable...
cooleyjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I love this attitude. It means I can get RE92 for my beater tires for nothing and spend all my money on race tires and parts that aren't needed for daily driving.

There is nothing you should be doing in your WRX on the street that the RE92 can't handle. If you are it's illegal.

I'm not saying there aren't better choices but if you want to spend 400 dollars or more every 20,000 be my guest. I'll just get a new set for 50 bucks every 30,000 and have more money for racin.

I'm in no way saying you or your opinion is bad, I'm just saying I love it for the fact that I get cheap tires because of it. Don't want to hurt any feelings.

joe

Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #20
Murf_68
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71191
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
Free shipping....no tax if not shipped from your state....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...64&rd=16&ar=45




...for stock wheels
Are those ok for clearance on the WRX Wagon? I have 4500 miles on my RE92s and I've just about had enough of them.

Thanks

Mark
Murf_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #21
DrtJnky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78652
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glen Burnie, MD.
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Default

225/50/16 is the same OD as the 205/55/16? not a 225/45/16
DrtJnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #22
akademiks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36181
Join Date: May 2003
Default

re92 = ok tire, but i traded my tires and rims with another owner within a week of owning my subaru
akademiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #23
ScoobyBoy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6418
Join Date: May 2001
Default

mine lasted for 28k. now i have pzero m&S tires. they are so much better than the stockers. dont waste your money on the same tires. honestly they arent worth the $$$.
ScoobyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #24
spelk3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 19835
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Mountain View, CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX sedan
sold '02 WRX wagon

Default

My RE92's lasted about 400 miles. I HATED them, replaced them with Yokohama AVS Intermediates (no longer available )
spelk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #25
speednby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 86316
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
I eat rice...Its good 4 u

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty

Triple

(Wouldn't want to do anything "illegal")
speednby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URGENT: WTB stock 205/55-16 RE92 Clin10 Tri-State Area Private Classifieds 7 08-17-2007 02:53 PM
Wtb: 205/55/16 Re92 Prostho Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 4 05-26-2004 09:21 PM
WTB: Cheap 205/55/16 RE92s moss Tri-State Area Forum 1 11-12-2003 07:17 AM
F/S: One 205/55/16 RE92 MixeD_MenacE Canada Region Forum 0 05-06-2003 11:41 AM
FS: Set 205/55-16 RE92 tires with less than 100 miles Rio2000BE Legacy Forum 9 11-08-2002 05:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.