Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 29440
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

Default Track Go-ers

Does anyone use a radiator shroud? I am curious if this can help keep engine temps down while on the track, or is it just for bling? Figured this would be a better forum to ask this question.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
humara
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53289
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
04 wrx waggin'
wrb

Default

i did about 85 laps at willow springs in 95+ degree temps. at 2.8 miles/lap thats about 250 miles. coolant temp guage never budged. i dont think you would notice any performance increase from that. i didn't notice the car significantly slower the longer i was out on the track.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 29440
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

Default

so you are saying you don't use one? I've been on track in some pretty warm temps., but just wondering if there is any actual cooling benefits on track.
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
GarySheehan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2450
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
1996 2005 Subaru STI
White

Default

We built a plenum between the bumper cover opening and the front of the radiator to completely seal the inlet. It forces more air to pass through the radiator rather than spill around it.

We definitely saw water temps drop after this modification. It makes your radiator as effective as it can be.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
GarySheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 29440
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

Default

Cool, do you have pictures on your site of it? So you are saying the $40 part may have some use?
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Joel Gat, 1.8L
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32
Join Date: Jun 1999
Default

Hello,

DILLIGAF, which $40 part? IF you're talking about a piece that just sits across the top from the radiator support to the radiator, that's not what we did. We made a shroud that goes all the way around the radiator, on all sides. And the parts to do that certainly cost less than $40 The parts consisted of thin sheet metal and standard weather stripping to form the seal.

I'm not sure if we have any pics of the setup. I think I remember some, but I'll leave it to Gary if he can find them.

Joel Gat
Crew Chief
Sheehan Motor Racing
Joel Gat, 1.8L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
gregr01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49333
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix AZ
Vehicle:
04 STi
java pearl black

Default

I've done multiple track days in 100+ ambient temp, plus one at 6,000 feet in ~90+ degree ambient. Oil temp does go up but it peaks. Coolant temp doesn't move.

9/10ths driving.

Unless you're doing real racing (as in what Gary does) your car shouldn't need a shroud... then again it's cheap and can't hurt.
gregr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #8
Joel Gat, 1.8L
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32
Join Date: Jun 1999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr01
I've done multiple track days in 100+ ambient temp, plus one at 6,000 feet in ~90+ degree ambient. Oil temp does go up but it peaks. Coolant temp doesn't move.
Hello,

Well, are you using the factory dummy gauges or do you have real temp sensors and gauges? I find that factory gauges are typically "Oh Crap!" gauges. Basically, just before the car blows up, they show something other than "normal". With real gauges in the car, we noticed temperature changes and even though we were running very close to stock, we saw lots of variance. It was part of our normal testing routine - we'd note oil and water temps, the difference between them, etc., and our engine folks would be at the track with us (Cobb Tuning) to help interpret the data.

The car does run cooler with shrouding. And it does run cooler with an aluminum radiator, as well, though we didn't overheat with a stock radiator.

That said, if you're not overheating, it may not matter.
Quote:
Unless you're doing real racing (as in what Gary does) your car shouldn't need a shroud... then again it's cheap and can't hurt.
That's exactly what we were thinking. Even if we never overheated, it's better to improve the efficiency and provide that extra margin of safety, especially when it costs almost nothing to do it!

Joel
Joel Gat, 1.8L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 AM   #9
phatbob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38236
Join Date: Jun 2003
Default

on that note, is anyone using a dry sump system or else selling any baffle kits to prevent oil surge in the 2.5L STi heads ? the only way we can seem to keep it down is to run it at the bottom of the stick... and no this is NOT blow by or bad compression...
phatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
gregr01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49333
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix AZ
Vehicle:
04 STi
java pearl black

Default

I'm running "factory dummy gauges"--or worse, the dealer installed gauge pod. The oil temp sending unit is located inside the oilpan drain plug, so it has to be picking up radiated heat from the road surface as well.

Even running here in AZ in the summer, track days aren't that abusive on the equipment--certainly nothing like what you guys are doing. If someone really needs a shroud for track days either, 1) they're driving too hard in a street car and they should really be in a race-prepared car (safety-wise), or 2) their street car is too modified for hard track use and they should really be in a race-prepared car.

But then again, folks love to tinker and I can't say I've never added a widget that wasn't absolutely necessary, some of 'em lots more expensive.

Since there are so few people actually road racing in an STi, I'm assuming here that DILLIGAF was asking about HPDEs--if the subject is amateur or pro road racing, a shroud would only be the place to start.
gregr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
DILLIGAF Racing
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 29440
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
Budd Baer
Subaru

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Gat, 1.8L
Hello,

DILLIGAF, which $40 part? IF you're talking about a piece that just sits across the top from the radiator support to the radiator, that's not what we did. We made a shroud that goes all the way around the radiator, on all sides. And the parts to do that certainly cost less than $40 The parts consisted of thin sheet metal and standard weather stripping to form the seal.

I'm not sure if we have any pics of the setup. I think I remember some, but I'll leave it to Gary if he can find them.

Joel Gat
Crew Chief
Sheehan Motor Racing
That came out wrong. I should have said "short of making one, a $40 radiator shroud could help". I am thinking of getting one, just for the added help. One of our local tracks has bad airflow on the one straight. Our BMW race car likes to overheat a bit on that track. Although I am just doing open track and HPDE, its a $30k car that I want to take every precaution to keep from turmoil.
DILLIGAF Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #12
ralliharri
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85035
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: central coast CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5-door
Yamaha XT1200Z

Default

Just back from a track day at Buttonwillow, it was about 107F but they said it was 114F y-day, lot of cars oveheating. My oiltemp showed almost 120C, really wish the oem H2O temp would be more sensitive, sure it must've been high) the ground was around 60-65C (couldnt even kneel down w/ long pants w/o burning yourself!). I'm going to install an oilcooler now.
ralliharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
endeavor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60740
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Durham, NC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
i did about 85 laps at willow springs in 95+ degree temps. at 2.8 miles/lap thats about 250 miles. coolant temp guage never budged. i dont think you would notice any performance increase from that. i didn't notice the car significantly slower the longer i was out on the track.
Would I be correct in assuming you are talking about the stock gauge?
endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #14
patr
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 97
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Vancouver, BC, CANADA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbob
on that note, is anyone using a dry sump system or else selling any baffle kits to prevent oil surge in the 2.5L STi heads ? the only way we can seem to keep it down is to run it at the bottom of the stick... and no this is NOT blow by or bad compression...
hey bob, its patr here

we have seen this on faster customer 2.5L STis where they were able to pull Gs and run fast. You have to run it at the bottom of the stick or just below it without baffles/sumps. We have had to make our own, if anyone has a 'kit' for the 2.5L turbos I have not seen one.
patr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
franke3c
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 53390
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliharri
Just back from a track day at Buttonwillow, it was about 107F but they said it was 114F y-day, lot of cars oveheating. My oiltemp showed almost 120C, really wish the oem H2O temp would be more sensitive, sure it must've been high) the ground was around 60-65C (couldnt even kneel down w/ long pants w/o burning yourself!). I'm going to install an oilcooler now.
hey i was there sunday, in the black sti. I think we were in the same group right?

my temps started to rise on our 4th session and i quit, didn't want to take a chance.
franke3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #16
ralliharri
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85035
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: central coast CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5-door
Yamaha XT1200Z

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke3c
hey i was there sunday, in the black sti. I think we were in the same group right?

my temps started to rise on our 4th session and i quit, didn't want to take a chance.

Oh yeah, think you gridded ahead of me in last session. Was thinking beforehand that I might not do the whole session but it was so much fun, had an instructor w/ me too. Felt so good when I passed that M3 on my stock re92's , I know, I know, it's only a driving education and not a race....
ralliharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 AM   #17
BlueDominion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73591
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: In the lab
Vehicle:
Up Back in Boston
Rollin the RSX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patr
hey bob, its patr here

we have seen this on faster customer 2.5L STis where they were able to pull Gs and run fast. You have to run it at the bottom of the stick or just below it without baffles/sumps. We have had to make our own, if anyone has a 'kit' for the 2.5L turbos I have not seen one.
Looks like someone might have made one HERE though I don't see the price listed anywhere. Might be something to consider, though.
BlueDominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 AM   #18
Chaste Automotive
Vendor
 
Member#: 44921
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Pat we have one that is essentially a WRC piece we are working on getting it into production but that should take a while. IF you want some pics email me and I will send them over maybe you have more time to develop it.

We usually run all the rally cars without a thermostat.
Chaste Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
jnorth85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 76785
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DSM iowa
Vehicle:
2000 580Whp The RSTI
SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDominion
Looks like someone might have made one HERE though I don't see the price listed anywhere. Might be something to consider, though.
i like that i wonder how much ?$$$
jnorth85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Church Go-ers in NESIC RiSti05 New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 1 03-16-2009 11:48 AM
I need a coilover suspension review from my auto-x ers/track goers... IMPORTIMAGE South East Region Forum 8 01-06-2007 07:26 AM
Small group of track go-ers needed .... RaceComp Engineering Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 24 03-29-2005 02:29 PM
Any Mid-A ers going to IDRC East Coast Nationals? complacent Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 05-28-2004 07:20 PM
sleddin?? question for u snow go-ers... Subie Gal North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 5 01-02-2003 02:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.