Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default :( Gosh darn it...

I've got a stock Legacy 00 Sedan, was running Khumo KH11's on it. Great tires, grip in the dry, grip in the wet, and believe it or not, more grip in deep snow than my mom's studded snow tires, and grip on gravel. Who could want more?

Anyhoo, I was driving a logging road when I lost air pressure on my front right tire. Yes, I stopped and changed the flat on the ****ing logging road.

I took the tire to a local tire place, prepared to pay $15 to get a flat repair. I was smart and brough along an old Kirkland Signiture that was mildly flat-spotted (compared to the other three in that set that had no tread except, well, a few unflat spots if you get my drift).

The tire that lost pressure was destoyed. Sidewall damage. I had been thinking about getting a can of that fix-a-flat stuff, the aerosol can with the goo in it... Had I used that, I possibly would have had a blow out, which may very well have ended with me totaling the car. Hence, why I will NEVER buy that crap, because sidewall damage induced blowouts don't sound like fun.

Anyway, on to the actual topic of this thread. I had a single tire from my previous tire set left, and a wheel. The current KH11's are 205 65R15's, the Kirkland Signiture is also a 205 65R15. The stock wheel was okay, didn't look like I drove very far on the flat actually. Maybe a few hundred yards.

The odd tire is, in reality, a very slight bit taller than the other three tires I have on the car, but it's hard to tell. I'll go tomorrow and measure more precisely.

I mounted the odd tire in the rear (yes, I borrowed the jack from my Dad's Toyota T100 and jacked the entire right side of my car up and pulled the good right rear tire, put the Kirkland tire on there, pulled the donut off the front and put the good tire up there). Since I think the Kirkland is slightly larger than the other three tires, I filled the front tires up to 40 PSI, the left rear up to 37.5 PSI, and that odd tire up to 35 PSI.

Handling is normal, it still pulls slightly to the right when driving, but that's because I need an alignment I think.

Other than going to inflate my tires and about 5 miles of driving around the area, my car has been sitting in the driveway since this happened. I've been driving the Toyota, since my parents are out of state/country.

Questions now:

1) How much difference can I have between the tires in the front/left rear from the odd tire without damaging my drivetrain?

2a) The 3 same tires have 10k miles on them, should I order 1 replacement tire, 2 replacement tires, or a full set?

2b) If I end up getting 2 replacement tires, should I put the two new ones in the front or rear?

2c) If I get 2 replacement tires, should I mount the fifth tire on a wheel? I have a set of 4 15" steelies laying around, seems like a logical idea to me to just mount the extra tire on one of them incase of another flat.

Sorry for my, uh, text-oral dirhea, I'm kinda tired and just had caffeine. BTW, I have pics if requested. The two wheels I had off... Holy crap, there was some serious mud on there! Also found some damage to one of my wheels from a stone. I really need some 15" gravel wheels...

Cliffs notes: I have Khumo KH11's on my Legacy Sedan. I got a flat, I put an odd tire on that wheel. Now I'm running 3 KH11's and one all season tire. See above questions.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

1/4 inch difference MAX for tires....and the 'odd' tire should, really, be mounted on the right front if necessary(open diff...at least on the WRX, it is).

I'd get 4 new tires if at all possible.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

My car has open diffs in the front and rear, the joys of owning a Legacy L.

I can't afford 4 new tires. I can afford one new tire right now, when I get some bills paid off, I'll be able to get 2. Maybe I could replace the fronts, then replace the rears? I dunno, I'm kinda poor...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
LorenzoS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50995
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon

Is the odd tire larger simply because it has more tread? If so, Tire Rack offers a tire shaving service. Perhaps they, or a race shop, can shave the tire down to the depth of the other 3.
LorenzoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Heck, no, the older tire has uneven tread, for one. Second, it's just larger, it had probably 50k miles on it compared to the 10k on my newer tires.